Less Alcohol ~ APRIL 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited April 2022
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    Whoopee Monday is done! LOL

So all you organizer type gal's and guys LOL guess what I am doing? Inventorying all the food we have in our home, then will be organizing. I know this sounds pretty odd right??

DH over the past year kept buying food for longer term storage, (enough to last a year in his dreams). Then putting all the rice, beans, lentils, etc. in pint & quart jars with oxgenators. As well as canned goods. Well needless to say after he filled up all the space I had left in the garage, it started drifting into our downstairs family room (not used).
    So this weekend I have the conversation...dear, you are doing so well downsizing your business ....he interrupts to brag that we should be able to sell the building next spring...that is my point dear....... We will have to eat all the food you stored up because we sure are not paying a moving company (they charge by the pound) to transport a container to storage for a year loaded with canned and dry goods, when we retire.......Silence............Silence. LOL The best laid plans.

I only teased him a little bit about this. Originally we were not leaving the state until sometime in 2025. He just moved up our timeline. So now we will shift and adjust.

The challenges will be creative ways to use up the dry goods. Canned goods will be fine. Well except for the 98 cans of albacore and 88 cans of chicken breast. Yes you are reading that right..think Costco

🤤🤤🤤
    You NEVER told me you had a fallout shelter stocked for the apocalypse. What's the date on that albacore? I might be able to take a case or 2 off your hands. And I thought my husband bought bulk. Since down sizing for a year now the term minimalist lifestyle is my favorite (except for paint canvases, paint, floetrol...etc 🤣)
  • MissMay
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    DH has used stitchfix for a couple years, and generally it has been helpful to him. We had a good laugh when the items took a turn towards athleisure upon the pandemic onset. He got sweat pants and was a little mystified. I was like, well, do you have sweatpants? No, he says. So it was something worth keeping. He has gotten several pairs of shoes, too, that seemed to be good additions for him. He has not had style issues, but he did spend a little time early on giving feedback. In general, though, he thinks the quality of the clothing (material and stitching) has gone down. Just one data point.

This is good to know, thanks @ahoy_m8. They were above and beyond nice when I called them to say nothing caught my eye in the box. I was in a crunch for shopping and thought this might work out for me. I might give it another shot down the road...I wish they would have sent a pair of sandals to try, but they didn't. 🤗
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    @lmlmrn

I must have missed something. You will be leaving the State and moving...where?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    My usual goal, 16-20AF days for the month. Diary style.
    I had 21AF days for March, but it was a longer month.

Wednesday April 6th - 2 drinks. It was lovely to kick back and enjoy that warm feeling of a couple of drinks. It has been a very busy work week for me. No plans for alcohol again until Saturday afternoon when I plan to have my little bottle of prosecco.
    Thursday April 7th - AF - Spring is flirting with us up here, +14 (Celsius) in the afternoons, but -2 in the mornings still. Planned AF for Friday.
    Friday April 8th - AF - As planned. Planning on having my Prosecco in the afternoon Saturday, but we'll see.
    Saturday April 9th - Drinks. I still didn't have my Prosecco, maybe next weekend. I had a couple of drinks between 7 and 7:30, then drank diet Cran Rose. I stayed up way later than usual binging HGTV, and then listened to quite a few of my fave overnight international radio shows which come on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Planned AF until Wednesday.
    Sunday April 10th - AF - Got out for a nice hike. Not windy, yay. When we get up to 23km per hour winds I don't like going out much, but I also hear the wind gusts on the west coast hitting 100km per hour. Yikes.
    Monday April 11th - AF - My after work trail walk showed it to be 2 degrees celsius according to my car thermometre when I got back into it. Turned out to be absolutely perfect trail weather : - ) I have been picking up one or two rocks each time I go to one particular trail where I always find good ones. If I see another person as I am walking back to my car I usually get a disapproving look, like "don't take things out of here". Um, yeah, I am amassing a bit of the trail around my property. Pretty rocks! Planned AF Tuesday.

Rolling total: 7AF day out of 11 days.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 777 Member
    Well AF last night, DH is murmuring about going out for dinner on our 'real' anniversary date. Today I am just not feeling it. Maybe tomorrow I will.

@dawnbgethealthy I don't think you really missed much. Our retirement goal was to be done with DH business by Jan 2025. That was a deadline we agreed on Dec 2019. Well he has stepped up and now we have to find where we want our 'forever' home to be. We are tossing around TX, KY, NC. We have not ruled out AZ or NM but not sure DH can do that high of heat.

Thanks to those of you who have thoughts on stitchfix. I keep watching the ads and thinking this would be ideal. Now I am back on my fence.

I will be working our 'spring' fair Thur-Sat then next week Thur-Sun. I do so hope the weather warms up. We just had a snow flurry breeze through here for about 30min. This is April. Snow is not allowed.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited April 2022
    Stitchfix

I did every 3 months in 2020 and 2021 when I lost weight and needed some new clothes. I put info in for feedback and also requested a few items telling them what I had coming up in the future or what I needed. For the most part I liked the clothes I received and actually wear them often. I've not gotten anything since last summer only because I started gaining weight and didn't want to admit it and buy larger sizes.

I have a friend that ordered every other month for the first year she retired as a gift to herself to get more casual clothes and rid herself of the business outfits she wore for years. :)

Oh and I've also just ordered a shirt if I see something that strikes my fancy.

AF this evening!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    @Womona

I think there are probably things all over the place named "Baker". That Colonel Baker got around!
    Our Mt. Baker here is quite small in comparison to the Rockies which I can also see from my house. More like a hill really in comparison. I have been up to the top of it, although that was a mistake because a friend and I were lost and ended up there ;)
    You used to live around the Mt. Rainier area right? And some other Mt. Baker : - )

I had no idea so much was named after him! Yep, I was right by the “big” Mt. Baker!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    I am recovering from a whirlwind wedding. We were in Palm Beach this past weekend, had a great time, the wedding was spectacular, but I definitely over-drank! My whole “I’m never drinking again” lasted about a day or two, and last night j have some wine at home. I’m really conflicted- I don’t really want to be a daily drinker, but yet I pretty much am. Problem with that is my weight creeps up, and my weight plummets when I stop drinking. So I’m really torn!

BTW dancing all night is for very young people. I was practically hobbling out of the venue, despite wearing my “comfortable “ sandals. Between that and my strapless dress chafing me under my arms, I could not wait to get I to my pajamas! Even yesterday, I had no energy, I just embraced it and stayed on the couch and read. I was able to enjoy our beautiful afternoon though!

Just found out from my podiatrist that I can’t go barefoot anymore, I have to have arch support in every one of my shoes, even house slippers. So I’ve been on a bit of a buying spree to replace what I have. I just can’t wear heels anymore, which is a shame because I love them! Oh and good luck finding stylish low pumps with the arch support I need. Getting older is not for the faint of heart!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    Great conversations...catching up here. I was AF Monday but yesterday I had 2 mini fizzy roses and put myself to bed early.

Hugs for you @MissMay, you always make me feel good and say the right thing!

@dawnbgethealthy I like your science facts and I do cut back on calories to make room for drink calories..

@CinnamonScallop time to dust off the garmin...best invention ever! I am putting mine on shortly.

@lmlmrn Happy Anniversary! I was in Greenwater WA a few years back. I "saw" Rainier and need to go back. It was tourist-attacked with a zillion buses (we couldn't find parking). I do need to return.

@sfharvey07 not sure if you had asked about hypnotherapy. I did get certified in it and can say if done right it does benefit me but the effects "last" about a day. I only practiced on other students, most all were nurses and counselors. The whole class loved it and we all felt it was super-relaxing. When the teacher did group hypnosis on us, we all lost our sense of time and I definitely slept well afterwards. I want to say the class ran for about 3-4 months a few times a week. It gets $$ if you go to someone and if you do self-hypnosis (at night when one is about to fall asleep I find best), it's hard to make it a routine. It takes discipline...on the other hand, IMO it is one tool that "could" help modify behavior for "some" people if done right and very,very consistently.

Going out for an easy 4 mi. run now to charge up my batteries.......
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Last night we went out for a couple of post-work drinks. I managed to keep it to 1.5pints (husband had considerably more, but this is about me not him).

Wednesday is a non clinical day for me and usually spent WFH, with a large side of exercise. We often go out with friends for either a drink or dinner (or both).
    In MFP food style, I have “prelogged” two pints.

Planning on being AF Thursday.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    My usual goal, 16-20AF days for the month. Diary style.
    I had 21AF days for March, but it was a longer month.
    My reason for drinking less is for weight loss.

Tuesday April 12 - AF - I really felt like having drinks, but I do a split shift on Wednesdays, so thought better of it. Wednesday has become one of my drinks days. Not mandatory, but planned. Having a designated drinks day helps me to hold on for a couple of days instead of just having drinks when I feel like it.

Rolling total: 8AF day out of 12 days.
  • lmlmrn
    AF last night but did not sleep well
    Could be lack of exercise this past week.

@globalhiker Yes Greenwater is such a small dot in the road 2 tour buses would take up the entire town of gas/convenience store, tourist store. Oh wait I think there is a snowmobile rental place across the street with the forestry department. It really is the last outpost before you head into Rainer National Park and pass over the mountain. If you are back this way let me know, lots of forest service roads with great great great hikes! Including a few suspension bridges.

Many many years ago I tried hypnotherapy to quit smoking. It lasted ....a day. But it was a group thing and I don't think that was the way to go for me. I did quit but not at that time.

So I will be working our 'spring' fair Thur-Sat. And wouldn't you know it the weather is going to be cold and raining. LOL Oh well.

So @MissMay now that the apocalypse is here I have approximately 1-1.5 years to eat up all this food that is stored. You would think this would be easy. But what do you do what canned chicken breast?

We tried one it is not bad but not something you can eat 'as is' for any length of time. So I will need to treat it like tuna flakes with a very mild flavor. Thinking imitation crab cakes, noodle casserole, salad topper.
    If anyone in this thread has ideas for dried pinto, black, and garbanzo beans. Then the white rice...that will be challenging but not too difficult. Garbanzo's I can roast as snacks. Black and Pinto's are great in soup and chili but beyond that???

Ok got to scoot

• lmlmrn
    Oh just one other thing!

Read this sign while driving.......

STOP PARKING, KEEP DRIVING, ACCIDENTS CAUSE HUMANS.

Read this on a facebook post that really made me pause

Life is too short to spend it at war with yourself
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    KNoceros wrote: »
    In MFP food style, I have “prelogged” two pints.

Planning on being AF Thursday.

Hmmm. That didn’t _quite_ work. 2.5 pints. (He dug in again, at a lovely microbrew place but their AF / soft range is very limited and pricey and the beer is really good).

Still planning AF tomorrow
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited April 2022
    @lmlmrn -
    Try this chicken salad recipe (love the dill in it). Buy either a spinach or sun-dried tomato tortilla wraps and enjoy for lunch (add romaine to the wrap if you wish for an extra crunch). You can also slice the wraps (without lettuce) to make pinwheels for a party or just for a picnic/hike/snack.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/477100154282420942/

Use a red bean and rice recipe with ham and/or sausage ... but use the black beans! Very yummy.

Another option ... start donating to the local food bank.

• lmlmrn
    @Lilylady3k wonderful idea's. I am keeping a journal and one section has now been added for prep ideas.
  • MissMay
    QUICK CHECK IN:

Good garden workout yesterday in my yard(I have 7 flower garden areas to tend to) Was able to get 3 of the 7 cleaned up and protected from the deer chewing my tender lily tops as the begin to grow. A good "sore" feeling this morning. Hope the neighbor got an eye full with me bending over all day😂.

AF last night

ME from my past excess drinking days would have most definitely taken yesterdays "win" at the garden cleanup as an opportunity to start drinking in the sun on the deck around late afternoon.
    Glad those habit days are behind me and I can now get accomplished what I could only think about in my head while drinking too much.

Have a wonderful Thursday.