Slow Runner, Getting back at it Again.

Replies

• fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2022
    @mrmota70
    That is great success. It still amazes me that anyone under 11 MM thinks they are a slow runner.

Can you imagine if everyone ran the same speed? "Traffic" jams on running paths, sidewalks, country roads :D

Edit for post above: BTW I am crediting myself an extra pound loss. Just realized my math is terrible and I am down 16 lbs. I guess just a credit for the scale next week :D
  • jme99nl
    jme99nl Posts: 3 Member
    Congratulations on your losses and gains! :) Loss of mass and gains of miles, keep it up! <3
  • sharpiejas
    sharpiejas Posts: 20 Member
    Another slow runner here, I was running a lot during the first UK lockdown, joined a running club and then completed my first half marathon last year. I was then training to complete the virtual London marathon, getting up to 17 miles last year when I got a(nother!) Injury.

Just starting to run again and now also cutting down the food to contemplate it and hoping this will help stop the injury roller coaster and get me down from the 206lbs i posted yesterday. I have just turned 46 and I am giving myself the goal of completing a marathon before my next birthday and also to reach 180lbs!

Feel free to add me to see what I am up to and to help with the motivation.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    So excited to post I completed a 2 mile run with no walk breaks. I was amazingly fast at 13.333 mm on the treadmill. (I run faster on the treadmill than outside).

The weather has been a bit of a stinker again with back to winter temps, snow/rain, so treadmill again. The thought of having to run 2 miles on the treadmill was making me postpone my run. I am so glad last night I forced myself on and completed the task. It wasn't all that bad and the high of doing it and completing it was a great reward.

Our weather forecast this week looks mostly dreadful so I might be able to sneak one run outside. I will not be postponing the runs on the treadmill this week, as I can not wait to finish the c25k program and officially (at least in my head) be a runner again. (BTW anyone doing c25k is a runner, it is just silliness in my head)

As a side note, I stepped on the scale and am officially out of the 190's. Weighed in today at 189.0. Running and calorie counting is working. I am down 17 pounds since starting and I feel amazing. (Such small goals being accomplished bring great rewards)

Next goal 3 miles and hopefully lots of running miles and SMILES ahead for me!

Happy Running to everyone!

Great work. Makes me smile when I find a fellow jog junky… looks like you’ll reach your c25k goal soon enough. Just pay attention to your body. It’ll tell when your pushing to hard. Today I did an outside 2 miler with 18 mph winds half the time. Managed some decent time nevertheless. Finished off today with 25 minutes on the elliptical.
  • mrmota70
    @mrmota70
    That is great success. It still amazes me that anyone under 11 MM thinks they are a slow runner.

Can you imagine if everyone ran the same speed? "Traffic" jams on running paths, sidewalks, country roads :D

Edit for post above: BTW I am crediting myself an extra pound loss. Just realized my math is terrible and I am down 16 lbs. I guess just a credit for the scale next week :D

It’s just me thinking I should be faster, but I’m fairly happy with where I’m at these days…. Thanks for the kudos
  • sharpiejas
    10k done this morning, I am feeling it on my knees. Plan is to get up and complete a 30 min run in the morning to keep the momentum going. Anyone joining me?
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,313 Member
    sharpiejas wrote: »
    10k done this morning, I am feeling it on my knees. Plan is to get up and complete a 30 min run in the morning to keep the momentum going. Anyone joining me?

If your knees are still bothering you tomorrow you might want to try a low impact option or a rest day.

But yes, I’ll join you for a 30 min run!

• sharpiejas
    Smaller run worked ok, a bit of pain but not as bad as it has been.

Had a session with my friends men's fit club this evening. Good to join up with other people.
  • fatty2begone
    After getting another head cold GRRRR (2xtimes in the last 6 weeks.)
    Back at c25k again. 4 more days to go. Just finished 2.5 miles with my slow speed. I did run the last .15 miles at a slightly faster speed just to see if I could do it.

Was looking forward to running outside today, but mother nature is just not ready to let spring arrive. 2 inches of really slushy snow fell, so TM again. Maybe next run weather will cooperate.

Happy Running to all!
  • mrmota70
    After doing a 10k on Friday just under 60 mins I’ve been a lot slower than usual. My endurance has also taken a hit. I did a slower 4 mile jog on Sat. Sundays is my easy weekly work out. I did a 5k in slightly over 30 mins. Today I went back up to a 4.23 mile jog. Felt sluggish, but kept my avg to 10:39 min miles. Now Sat and Sun jogs did include breaking in two new pairs of joggers so that probably added to my overall times..
  • fatty2begone
    Sun was shining, slight breeze, and balmy 45degrees outside in northern Wisconsin today. Snow is mostly gone and maybe spring has finally arrived.

Well I did it! I ran my 1st 5k, actually ended up running 3.25 miles at my slow awesome pace. I have officially completed c25K and look forward to a more comfortable, more confident 5k in the upcoming runs.

Thanks to all who post and all who visit!
    Happy Running to everyone!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    @fatty2begone congrats!
  • fatty2begone
    @emmamcgarity
    Thank You... Like your smiling face in your profile pic. I will have to update mine soon with a big smile too (instead of using my adorable dog). Now if I could only change my profile name... Wish I hadn't been so clever :#
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2022
    I started running again after a 25 year break! I worked my way up to a 5K last Spring. Ran the whole way!
    yqftg78xqwp4.jpg Ran a 11:40 mile pace.
    Then I read somewhere that you are only considered a "runner" if you can run under a 10 minute pace. So that was my goal.
    By Fall I had my 5K down to this:
    vrdfh2w9bs2f.jpg That's a 9:05 pace.
    Training really does work!
    I have now run two 5-Mile races and one 10K. Presently training for a 10-Mile race!
    Stay tuned...

• fatty2begone
    @Thewonderofitall Holy smokes thats improvement! Congratulations on the fast speed and your successful run.
    You can definitely see in your physique the muscular difference. Very impressive!

I would disagree with the comment about 10M pace being a runner. This may be true in the professional eyes or faster runners, but this is definitely not true in my eyes. I am out there running, pushing myself at my slow speed and every distance I make is a run. I surely hope to improve my time because my new speed is slower than my previous years slow speed, but I know with time I will improve. However, should I not improve my time, I am out there running faster then those sitting on their duff.

Happy Running to Everyone!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    edited April 2022
    I would disagree with the comment about 10M pace being a runner. This may be true in the professional eyes or faster runners, but this is definitely not true in my eyes. I am out there running, pushing myself at my slow speed and every distance I make is a run. I surely hope to improve my time because my new speed is slower than my previous years slow speed, but I know with time I will improve. However, should I not improve my time, I am out there running faster then those sitting on their duff.

I agree, that's not realistic, most people I see running on our local wood chip course don't run at that speed, certainly not on average, and yet they certainly are runners.
    I had a limit of 8kph (12:04min/mile) in my head for a long time, to be a 'real' runner, just because my Garmin won't post anything in my exercise diary under 8kph as running :tongue:
    This conversion chart kind of confirms it in my head, since the chart starts at 8kph :mrgreen:
    https://www.runnorthwest.co.uk/pages/race-pace-conversion-chart

And even then, if you follow Olympic rules for (race)walking, speed is irrelevant - running isn't defined by speed but rather by contact with the ground. You can walk very quickly or run slowly, whatever you want!
  • fatty2begone
    edited April 2022
    I went for an early morning run. My DH and I had to drop a vehicle off at a mechanic this AM, so I drove a vehicle and he a vehicle to drop off. I mapped out the distance and it was 4.35 miles. I thought I would give him the keys to the second vehicle and I would get a run in finished with a walk. I handed him the keys, started my old NIKE sport watch for distance and time, turned on my running playlist, and off I went. With this run/walk I learned a few valuable lessons.

1) Fueling yourself before a run is important. (At least in my case).
    2) 2 Cups of coffee right before your run is too much. (I will spare you the details)
    3) Sometimes the last leg of your distance is the easiest part of the run.

I started out on empty and bonked by the half mile mark. I walked a spell then started the run again. I did this with the first 3 miles. The 4th mile surprisingly I ran the entire way. My speed was VERY slow, but hey... I ran the entire mile. the last .35 miles I walked, saw a neighbor and chatted for a spell, then arrived at home and promptly jumped in to the shower.

I also learned a few more valuable lessons.
    4) I completed the task by pushing my self to do it. I could have easily called my husband and asked him to pick me up because I could not accomplish the task I set out. (Run 3 miles straight then walk the 1.35 miles).
    5) Finishing the task is much better then quitting and taking the easy way out. Although I did not complete the task as I intended, I did finish it and feel damn proud I did.
    6) Being able to adjust task in real life is necessary. Not every run will work out as you planned. Not every run will be amazing and the best thing since sliced bread. It is ok to adjust your run as needed and if a walk instead of the planned run happens, you will still be moving your body, improving your health, and finish the task at hand.

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Running to all.
    Birdie
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2022
    Maybe I should have said "they" say the difference between Jogging and Running is a 10 minute mile.
    As decreed here:
    https://runtrails.org/jogging-vs-running
    https://verywellfit.com/difference-between-running-and-jogging-2911122
  • fatty2begone
    I know this is just a thing, maybe a thing just for me.... But I hate being referred to as a jogger and not a runner. I am a runner whether at speed slow or anothers speed fast. Some are just faster then I and maybe some slower. But we are all runners. And... in my eyes all are rockstars B)