Downsizers Team Chat - APRIL 2022

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,501 Member
    tahm42 wrote: »
    Tell us about your exercise. How often do you exercise? Do you schedule exercise time? How long do you exercise? What do you do for exercise? What is a type of exercise you would really like to try or add to your routine?

MWF swimming and lifting. 2 hours
    TTSu My choice- Yoga, elliptical, kayaking, bike, circuit, you name it. Yes I do include gardening in this too.
    I would love to add figure skating, when time and money allow.

You do so much . I am sure you would do well at figures skating.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    roz0810 wrote: »
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 may I please be excused from this week's weigh in for me (Thursday). not sure if I'm tagging the correct person, sorry if not.

Hi all. So I had a few days off plan and went over the top. I'm now officially at my highest weight and I've had enough. So here I am again back at the start. I know the first 7lbs will come off quickly because its water weight, it always does. I'm gna try not be too harsh on myself. Just going to focus on IF, tracking everything and drinking lots of water. 😊

Hi Roz... Linda is in charge of the weigh-ins not me :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Tell us about your exercise. How often do you exercise? Do you schedule exercise time? How long do you exercise? What do you do for exercise? What is a type of exercise you would really like to try or add to your routine?

I am a walker ... I walk 5 days a week for 2 hours or more ... I also like to do aerobics for 30-60 minutes ... I would love to try PiYo dvd's which is pilates and yoga (I am terrified of hurting myself (back problems hip problems rib problems etc... I would love to do hip hop dance with Shaun T but will all my problems I am afraid I would hurt myself badly
  • lindamtuck2018
    peng123 wrote: »
    Happy Tuesday, Downsizers! I'm sorry that I've been MIA - we had to rush my dad to the hospital yesterday morning - he's doing much better today. Despite all the craziness, I was able to stick to my plan because of the meal prep that I do for the week - so I'm still on track.

Steps:
    4/10: 12,007
    4/11: 13,821

Welcome to our newcomers! I will try to check back later to read everyone's posts.

Cara

I glad your Dad is feeling better. You are amazing! You stay on track no matter what life throws at you.
  • melissadreed903
    melissadreed903 Posts: 60 Member
    Happy Tuesday, Downsizers! I'm sorry that I've been MIA - we had to rush my dad to the hospital yesterday morning - he's doing much better today. Despite all the craziness, I was able to stick to my plan because of the meal prep that I do for the week - so I'm still on track.

Steps:
    4/10: 12,007
    4/11: 13,821

Welcome to our newcomers! I will try to check back later to read everyone's posts.

Cara

CARA!!!! Oh goodness! Glad your dad is doing good. Was he admitted??

• aactuallyaash
    aactuallyaash Posts: 270 Member
    @lindamtuck2018
    Tuesday
    aactuallyaash
    PW 214.2
    CW 214.8

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    4/3-7999
    4/4-2566
    4/5-5162
    4/6-7351
    4/7-15315
    4/8-7534
    4/9-5315

Thanks you two!
  • peng123
    peng123 Posts: 352 Member
    @lindamtuck2018 @melissadreed903 Thanks so much - he was in the hospital all day yesterday - but we were able to come home in the evening - much to his relief - he did not want to stay there. He has a terrible virus and he became very dehydrated - which pushed his heart into atrial fibrillation - but he's much better today.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    @lindamtuck2018 @melissadreed903 Thanks so much - he was in the hospital all day yesterday - but we were able to come home in the evening - much to his relief - he did not want to stay there. He has a terrible virus and he became very dehydrated - which pushed his heart into atrial fibrillation - but he's much better today.

Glad your dad is much better Cara...hugs
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Username: Beautyofdreams
    Weigh In Day: Tuesday
    PW:
    CW: 141.6
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I read an interesting article yesterday. It was written by a psychologist who worked in the food industry and had successfully dealt with his own weight problem. Some of his points were:
    1) The primitive or reptilian portion of our brain controls overeating. It doesn’t feel emotion but responds to stresses with these actions: a) can I eat it? B) do I mate with it? c). do I kill it? d). do I run from it? Since option a is the most socially acceptable option this is the usual response. We eat whatever stresses us.

2). When under stress we consume higher sugar and fat foods to give us energy to fight, flee, mate or eat our stressors. Modern processed food contains a mixture of sugar and fat that is hyper palatable, easily available and constantly advertised around us.

3). Modern processed food is designed to cause chemical pleasure reactions when consumed. Food is literally medicine. In this case an antidepressant. The pleasure response only lasts from 18-36 minutes. This is why we may overeat or keep consuming the same food several times in a day..

The authors strategies to combat this desire were.

1). Give this bingeing urge a disgusting name and image in your mind. Give the desired food a disgusting name.

2). Give this bingeing urge an irritating voice when thoughts to binge creep in. Eventually you will be able to recognize these thoughts as your “food demon” and not you. Tell yourself that I am not feeding my “food demon” whatever “demon slop” that it desires.

3). Rules are better than willpower or motivation(goals). Your energy is depleted each time that you make a decision whether or not to eat healthy or exercise. This lack of energy causes your motivation to wane. A rule such as “I will eat two servings of fruit, three servings of vegetables and one serving of whole grains before eating a treat” or “I will only eat between x hours of the day” is more successful because it takes away the decision making. so you don’t have the energy depletion of your motivation.

4) Take 2 extra 5 minute breaks where you do something relaxing and enjoyable such as staring out the window or doing an activity, get adequate sleep and limit social media or television before sleep. Work on reducing your stresses whether this involves planning ahead, avoiding toxic people or therapy.

The author also states that he doesn’t keep forbidden foods under lock and key. He believes that this makes it more desirable and harder to resist. I’m not sure that I agree with that but often I will sit my desired treat next to me and never eat it. Just seems that it’s enough to know that I could eat it if I wanted to.

Please share your thoughts on this:
  • Morethanjustanumber
    Morethanjustanumber Posts: 656 Member

@Megan_smartiepants1970

Date 4/12
    Step count 11,725
  • lindamtuck2018
    @Beautyofdreams
    Great job recognizing what you needed to change and changing it. Very interesting article. I know for myself certain things have to be kept under lock and key. I will try some of the suggestions when it comes to binge eating. I think I shared this quote before:

Food is the most abused anxiety drug. Exercise is the most underutilized antidepressant.

@Cheesy567
    That is smart keeping healthy snacks in the front seat. Also, very good news with your dexa scan results. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

@jayenguk
    Fantastic loss! Logging is so important. Maybe you could journal how you are feeling right now and read it for when you feel yourself slipping.

@peng123
    Great loss! How are your knees doing with the jogging?
  • lindamtuck2018
    kgwdsofd30sx.jpeg

Overdue
    @red1185

Thursday
    @888Angie888
  • lindamtuck2018
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Date 4/12
    Step count 11,725