156-Pound Weight loss, and so much more!

The_Movie_Chair
The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
edited April 2022 in Success Stories
1919 days ago, in January 2017, after a girl’s night out when none of the other ladies wanted to sit beside me in the movie theater, I came here to MFP frustrated and angry with myself. I weight 312 pounds, could hardly walk, and the slightest physical movement left me huffing and puffing and gasping for air. I have two autoimmune disorders, for which I took steroids and heavy medications back then.

Three years later, in October 2019, I had lost 145 pounds and was only 10 pounds away from my goal weight -which I reached in December 2019. One morning, the scale showed 156 pounds, and with a 156-pound weight loss; I had lost half of my weight.

From January 2017 to December 2019, I learned to walk again. First beside a golf cart, so I could sit down and take a break when I needed one. Later on, I started hiking with Nordic trekking poles and even hiked with others, always with a fold-up chair strapped to my backpack in case I needed it.

I learned to fence, played tennis, and tried to play squash. I enjoyed our belly dancing class and started kickboxing. It was so simple. I learned to trust my instinct. Now I can talk about my feelings, my wishes, and my dreams. I have no more need to eat my emotions. I reward myself differently. Food became fuel, fuel turned into energy.

For health reasons I went dairy and gluten-free, gave up sugar (most of the time), and could stop all my medications. My autoimmune disorders were in remission. Life was good! I had achieved what I wanted.

Now looking back, I can see that the weight loss was just the beginning of a journey. Right about the time when I celebrated my weight loss success, my husband had unexpectedly quadruple bypass surgery. From one day to the next, I became his caretaker, which frightened me a lot at first.

The physical strengths it takes to take care of an adult should not ever be underestimated, yet I could fulfill all my new duties with ease. I went up and down the stairs fifty times a day, a task that would have seemed almost impossible when I carried so much extra weight with me.

A few months later, my husband needed another surgery. This time the recovery would take over eight months. Cutting his food, serving him, making sure he was comfortable in his recliner. Walking with him in the park, he on a walker, me beside him, watching out for him, making sure he was safe.

Then the pandemic started, we all were on lockdown, which we managed nicely. My husband’s cardio diet was so similar to the way we ate already, not many changes were made.

We were so careful, still, we both got COVID 2020 in November, four weeks before my husband’s last surgery -a smaller procedure. The virus knocked us off our feet and stole my taste and smell, but even though we were both considered ‘risk patients’, we only got a mild form. Two months later, we were back to normal, life went on.

His last surgery left us very optimistic. The word “benign” works like a magic pill! We were upbeat, life was good for ten months, then COVID got us for the second time, but again, it wasn’t too bad. By then we were both vaccinated and booster-ed up.

My husband was over it in a week. I suffered longer, which happens if your immune system is out of whack. Four months later, by the end of March, I felt sicker and sicker. I heard the words LONG THERM COVID and COVID AFTERMATH - and didn’t like either.

I was in constant pain and my autoimmune disorder was no longer in remission. My blood work nutrition-wise perfect, showed high inflammations markers, the ones I thought I would never see again.

Why am writing this novel?

Last week at my doctor’s appointment, when they took a gallon of my blood and run all tests that were needed, they send me all over the place. Even though it was in one building, I was sent to different floors and wings, all with endless hallways. I noticed that 80% of people with autoimmune disorders are overweight or morbidly obese. I am not! Many were transported in wheelchairs, they didn’t even offer me one. I walked all day long from one place to the next. I felt pride!

I carried paperwork with me and I couldn’t help but had to take a peek. What I read, I will never forget!

White female, middle age, slim, very fit for her age.

I smiled, tears ran down my cheek. I would have never thought to read this about me, it surprised me. Losing weight and staying at a healthy weight is not ‘just’ for the looks, being healthy and slim means so much more.

I know that even as a ‘Fat Lady’ I would have turned into superwoman -as all women do- and would have found a way to take care of my husband, but I can only imagine how much harder it would have been. So much happened in five years!

I took a low-dose chemotherapy drug for the first time last week and will continue to do so until my autoimmune disorder is back in remission. I am the ideal candidate, me, the former fat lady.

Go, lose it all, but don’t lose yourself! Learn and adjust and fly high, and fulfill your dreams.

Food is not love! You can't eat love!

(Sorry this was a long share but one I needed to write)

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Absolutely beautiful story. Very inspirational. Well done! 💐
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring journey! Love hearing those words written in your chart. Wishing you a quick remission.
  • rockymtn5
    rockymtn5 Posts: 3 Member
    So inspiring!
  • Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    So nice to hear from you again. I really missed your blog :)
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Very inspiring- I needed to read this today. Thank you!
  • The_Movie_Chair
    Thank you. Sadly, the blogging rules here have changed, it makes it impossible to write a normal blog post.
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    I am so glad to hear you and your husband did so well through all those health issues-- you certainly set your selves up for success. It was great to read your update-- I have been one of your silent followers and was very inspired by your writing.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Always the inspiration! o:)
    You will never know the countless people you have inspired here. I am back into another weight loss journey but I looked for your blog over the past year and when I started logging again. Not gonna lie….it was sorely missed!
    Thank you so much for the update and so glad your hubby is doing better.
    Now, pulling for you to come through this trial with the same resiliency you did with the weight-loss.
    Another bump in the road for sure.
    Having traveled many a mile with you on this journey, those 10 words made me cry happy tears for you <3
    Have you considered making your old blog entries into a book or two? Though, I cannot imagine editing any of the blog posts I used to read.
    Every single ‘daily word’ was worth another pound off for so many of us. It was the day-by-dayness of it that helped knowing someone else was struggling with the same issues as me but also your indelible sense of humor even in the darkest trial. It may take several volumes so old and new readers alike could have those daily vitamins for the soul… lol!
    Friend request if you are still taking them.

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited April 2022
    Thank you for the update. I have missed reading your blog, too. Glad your hubby is doing better & hopefully your autoimmune issues will get better. I was always inspired by your blogs & had thought about sending a friend request because reading them made me feel like I knew you, but of course, I didn’t. I follow a plant based woman who had a book made of her daily words. I think Balboa Press?

• GemLady77
    GemLady77 Posts: 9 Member
    Great testimony to your health and fitness journey. You never gave up. That's awesome!! And what mean friends you had, hope you got rid of them too!!
  • cathyeray
    cathyeray Posts: 5 Member
    How awesome for you, hope everything just gets better and better.
  • tchill93x
    tchill93x Posts: 1 Member
    Fantastic! Great job continuing on with all the adversity you faced!

Thank you also as I needed to hear this too. I just switched today from Losit and saw your post. I was ~312 a year ago, I lost 50 lbs and then recently gained 10 back. Soooo, great timing. I'm on track today. Day 1 of so many to come. I needed this bit of inspiration. Thank you again!
  • Peacelily70x7
    Peacelily70x7 Posts: 483 Member
    I'm going to be a new follower for sure.. hope your old blogs are still available? I'm down 107 lbs but need fresh encouragement; plus, I hope you add new blogs too!
  • Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    Thank you. Sadly, the blogging rules here have changed, it makes it impossible to write a normal blog post.

You could write a book! ;)
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    What an inspiring story! Hope others read it and know that it can be done. You are living proof of that.
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    thank you , thank you ,thank you .. a reminder of why we are doing this was for me timely ..
  • The_Movie_Chair
    Thank you all for your kind words and I am glad I might have helped one or two of you to get back on track. It's not about the looks or the size of closing, it's about health, strengths, and ultimately your future.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!