Do you believe in ghosts?

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    tlp8rb wrote: »
    Ghost, or spirit/soul - you decide. My husband and I live on three rural acres. We have a lively collie dog who is a delight. She has a huge, fenced dog yard and there is a doggie door so she can come and go as she pleases.

It was a cold, winter night; the rain was just turning to sleet. We were watching television when our dog came running up the stairs (from the lower level where her doggie door is), barking and crying. My husband calls it her "Timmy is in the well" bark. She ran to me, barking and bouncing, making it clear she wanted me to follow her - that something was going on outside. I grabbed my jacket and a high-intensity flashlight, and out we went.

The east edge of our property borders railroad tracks (and no, the train doesn't bother us). She went to the far end of her run. The fence is about 40' from the tracks. I shone my light in that direction. I couldn't see anything through the falling sleet. Then, out of the darkness I heard a male voice. "Please, don't shoot me. I mean you no harm." I yelled back and asked what he was doing back there. "I have to find my son. I miss him so much." For the next ten minutes we went back and forth. I learned that his son had drowned in the river and was buried in a cemetery about a half mile south of our house. He said he was on the tracks because his ride had broken down. He insisted he was a man of peace and implored me not to shoot him several times. He told me his son's name and his. Eventually the voice faded, he seemed to move on, and the dog and I went back in the house.

Once inside I got on my computer and Googled his son's name. There were several results including an obituary from a funeral home nearby, and a newspaper story recounting the tragic death of a 5-year old in a river while on an outing with his father and other family members. The obituary confirmed that he was buried in the cemetery down the road. I was so affected by the pain in the man's voice, by his obvious grief, I was determined to find him and make sure he was OK. I found there were several people with his name in our community and I reached out to all of them. None responded. I didn't sleep much that night. I carefully wrote down everything I could remember.

The next morning, I shared what had happened with a friend who was a reporter with our local newspaper. She said she would check her sources and see if she could sort it out. A few hours later, I got a Facebook message from her. In the message was a link to yet another obituary - the name I was given by the voice in the dark. He died two weeks after his son had drowned. His truck broke down and he was walking (in the dark) on a county road when he was hit and killed. Strangely, he is buried in the same cemetery as his son.

Every word I've written is true to how it happened. I am 80-years old, an agnostic, and never believed in spirits, souls, or any kind of life after death. I cannot explain what happened. I only know that it did.

I appreciate this. I believe you. I value what you said.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Absolutely. These are not things we share lightly.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited April 2022
    "The first two nights after my friend visited were the roughest that I've had in a long time."

So these words I wrote on 3/29 may have been a mistake. That very same night, I heard a loud noise in my bathroom (I checked the next morning to see if anything had fallen but I didn't notice anything). It doesn't necessarily mean something fell, though. It was a noise and could have even been from a bang, thump to something. One thing that has kind of been consistent and terrifying is a noise to my bedroom. I know the suction sound that comes from my husband opening the backdoor to go out to smoke and come back in and it creates a sound on my door. But it's not him, not the noise I know. Anyway, this noise was a bang against my bedroom door. As if someone was hitting it, not with immense force but just to say "hey, I'm here." I've had many, many nights of my door or door knob, rattling. Bathroom is almost attached to my bedroom and there have been many nights where I've heard rattling at the door. .

Lastly, I was woken up out of a dream. I don't even know the people I was dreaming about. I never saw his face. But the girl was big, top heavy and not evenly proportionate, pear shaped and chicken legs. She had brown eyes and hair and mascara streaking down her face as she'd been crying.

I work in a place where there are lots of Door Dash Deliveries, etc., that kind of thing, except we don't serve hot, fast food. In the dream, it looked like she was supposed to have delivered something hot and/or fresh and fell asleep but her boyfriend wasn't there when it happened, came home later, woke her up, screamed at her while she told him, sobbing, that she'd get it delivered and then he threw the sub/hoagie sandwich in the trash after having belittled and degraded her. He was smaller and sandy blonde but I only saw the back of his head and heard him screaming at her.

Dreams are rare for me to remember unless I'm woke up in the middle of them. Anyway, I felt four or five thumps on my bed. I last felt that feeling on my mattress in December of 2018. I'll write about that story another night. This was much less terrifying than the experience I felt then. I was scared, confused, rattled. But I was safe and I prayed and eventually fell back to sleep.

I have been through some extremely abusive relationships in my life, stuff that's too screwed up to talk about and I've been abused from a very early age, really screwed up and all things I try to bury deep down. I can't say that I'm in the healthiest of relationships now. I am safe and I'm old enough and strong enough to know better and fight back. But, I don't know. I really don't know. This time, only because of the dream, I was wondering if someone was trying to tell me something. It disturbed me. It still disturbs me.

• Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    People call me crazy and I'm totally doped out on psych meds but it's reassuring to know that maybe I'm not crazy just extra sensitive. @LoveyChar i really cried reading your above post, I've been through abuse too since early age maybe that's why it makes me kinda psychic/sensitive to things around me. Anyway, when I was in 9th grade I had a dream which turned out to be a premonition. In my dream I saw a drunkard of a man beat up his mother for money and then kill her by setting her ablaze. Few days later, this incident happened in my neighborhood, right opposite my building actually, a man set himself and his mother on fire because she refused to give him money for alcohol. People who question and deny well y'all need to know we all are sensitive and psychic you know? Like how you just know when your loved one is in danger. You can't deny that and I've always been this way. It's just people successfully convinced me I'm crazy.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2022
    People call me crazy and I'm totally doped out on psych meds but it's reassuring to know that maybe I'm not crazy just extra sensitive. @LoveyChar i really cried reading your above post, I've been through abuse too since early age maybe that's why it makes me kinda psychic/sensitive to things around me. Anyway, when I was in 9th grade I had a dream which turned out to be a premonition. In my dream I saw a drunkard of a man beat up his mother for money and then kill her by setting her ablaze. Few days later, this incident happened in my neighborhood, right opposite my building actually, a man set himself and his mother on fire because she refused to give him money for alcohol. People who question and deny well y'all need to know we all are sensitive and psychic you know? Like how you just know when your loved one is in danger. You can't deny that and I've always been this way. It's just people successfully convinced me I'm crazy.

I don't think you or anyone else that has premonitions, apparitions, etc., is crazy at all. My mom used to tell me she had a lot of dreams about a car windshield shattering, she even felt the glass in her mouth, right up until the night my sister was killed in a car accident. She never had another dream like that. I truly believe we all have a sensitivity to certain things, some people more than others. I think my sensitivity is low or I'm just not recognizing circumstances when they produce themselves, don't see them for what they really area. I'm not open enough to accept them, I guess. :(
    As I mentioned above, I wish I had those experiences.
  • Hiawassee88
    edited April 2022
    @LoveyChar

Everything within and outside of your being is coming together to help you. Every shard and every broken piece is coming back together. Now. Every dirt sandwich you've had to eat to arrive at this place is falling by the wayside.

Your good friends, your authentic friends, the real ones will stand with you. You may only have a couple of them when all is said and done but you will know who they are. This is your opportunity and when you come through this, you will be and feel whole.

Family members may carry a bias. So we turn to our friends who can look above and beyond us in a judgment free zone. We have to be ready when these opportunities hit right out of the clear blue sky. This is your time. This is your thread. It's become a tender and a tinder bar.

When you come through all of this, you will be tungsten steel. Sparks will fly and you'll be smokin' hot. None of this has anything to do with the outer shell. Your tensile strength comes from within and any impact and glancing blow that comes your way will bounce off of you. Let the past eat your dust. You will not be deterred.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not ghosts necessarily, but multi-dimensions...where sometimes those dimensions colide in unusual ways resulting in strange apparitions, deja vu, etc.
  • Destanieroberts06
    Destanieroberts06 Posts: 103 Member
    My dog haunts me even after he died and my ex gf who committed suicide...does that count
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    All the abuse i experienced in my life finally caught up with me at 17 when i slipped in to morbid depression and by 18 i was hallucinating like crazy. So, I saw a lot of scary visions- the one I won't forget Is when i had gone to the library in broad daylight and when I came home I saw right in my living room a burnt corpse. It was very aware of me. I ran for my life. I was sleeping in my room at night and suddenly I became aware of a presence in my room I looked to my left at my dressing table and there in the mirror I saw A very beautiful but very heavy woman in a black dress. She looked sad and I wanted to talk to her because she didn't look malicious but then I thought she could be a shape shifter and if i stand in front of the mirror she'd switch places with me. I saw a lot of ugly visions prior to this beautiful lady so I didn't want to take a chance.
  • Destanieroberts06
    Destanieroberts06 Posts: 103 Member
    Yeah...people don't realize what abuse does to people especially younger kids and young adults
  • Hiawassee88
    There are races of people who understand. They know how to commiserate with those who've suffered the slings and arrows of abusers. They can soothe, comfort, empathize and console those who've been through it.

It's important to break the chain, cycles of abuse and risk factors so that patterns are not passed down through the generations.
    It takes a village.
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,189 Member
    Being a ghost would get very boring.

A lot of your hobbies would be off the table, being incorpreal...and there wouldn't be coffee, either.

You could catch all the movies for free, though. You might have to walk, though...as if you tried to catch a ride the car might go through you.
  • Slimjimjellybelly
    Slimjimjellybelly Posts: 27 Member
    As einstein once said

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”

I believe our souls are our energy and is still present after death.

Maybe our brain sees the energy of the deceased as what they once were, It's just a thought?

I actually sit on the fence with this topic because I've had some unexplainable events but am still a sceptic.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2022
    As einstein once said

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”

I believe our souls are our energy and is still present after death.

Maybe our brain sees the energy of the deceased as what they once were, It's just a thought?

I actually sit on the fence with this topic because I've had some unexplainable events but am still a sceptic.

Love your user name. :)

I like that quote.

I've shared this on the forums before but saying it again. :) When my dad passed away 12 years ago, I was staying in his hospital room. I'd sit with him most of the day, walk around, spend the nights there. I had just curled up on a reclining chair across the room from him and falling asleep for the night. His bed had been pushed up against the window and the light was coming from behind him. Something had me pop my eyes open and glance across the room, just in time to *know* he had just barely passed away and I saw......something......a wisp.....soul..... energy....leave his body and float away. Call it what you will but it's an image I'll remember until I die. And I'm as skeptical as they come.
  • I just hope that ghosts believe in *me*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    edited April 2022
    If people never heard stories of "ghosts" I would truly doubt any would ever have heard or seen one. Suggestion is VERY POWERFUL when someone is unsure about something.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    @ninerbuff Maybe, but where did "ghost stories" come from? The first person to ever see one likely said what had happened, and then the next said "Hey I've seen that to".
  • Hiawassee88
    edited April 2022
    I respect @ninerbuff to the nines which means to the highest degree. For fitness and health purposes, ghosts are way off the books but this is chitchat. I can't discuss this without falling back into familiar and generational spirits which takes it to the razor's edge with religion. Do your own research. Bottomline: I don't want them around me. I'm not going to open doors and I don't even want them slipping through the cracks.

I wouldn't believe a single thing they had to say to me. About nine times out of ten, it would be error.