Easter Weekends

How do you go about your diet during easter, do you not worry about going over your calories since it is only once a year or are you diligent in what you plan to eat.I am not really worried about going over my calories because I am going to log everything I eat & drink & know that after it is over I can restart my diet again.

Replies

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited April 2022
    We make adjustments for many things in life, and for eating ~ work days, weekends, vacations, special occasions/feasts and sometimes for many more reasons... I like it, seasonal foods, celebrate with family and friends. So think it is good to figure out what would be reasonable for a holiday feast meal.

I fall somewhere between the childhood feast without restriction snacking on all the special goodies set out.... and the times I tried to stick with a very low calorie fad diet we were doing at the moment.

figured there ought to be something reasonable and happy making inbetween. I am currently practicing eating during the feast meal(s) of the day; 1 nice plateful instead of 6... a nice scoop of whatever special dishes I want, and sample the desserts (small pieces) instead of a full piece of every dessert ;) then stop and back to regular tracking, regular foods, regular approach... 1 feast meal/day, not 4 day weekend or longer. i crashed and burned a lot when I first started trying this approach, but it is getting easier... I want to be awake and catch up visiting with everyone instead of wishing for a nap because I ate way too much.... and have noticed a real difference with it... so it's a keeper for me, for now.

would be interested to hear how it went.... after the feast is over :)
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I'm going to eat drink and be merry with friends and family.
    Log as best as I can and move on.
    I do have a little healthy activity planned as the weather in London for the Easter weekend is pretty good for this time of year.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Easter isn't my biggest holiday problem because it's pretty much like just another day with dh. I'll be making him turkey, dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, etc.; already told him I'd only be eating the turkey. :) I'll pick up all the makings for a good healthy green salad because he doesn't eat veggies so he doesn't care. :/

It's all those darn fall holidays, Christmastime that always do me in.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    evankarl1 wrote: »
    How do you go about your diet during easter, do you not worry about going over your calories since it is only once a year or are you diligent in what you plan to eat.I am not really worried about going over my calories because I am going to log everything I eat & drink & know that after it is over I can restart my diet again.

'restart your diet' implies you're stopping it.

I don't view it as stopping and restarting anything (I don't use the word 'diet either'): I am mindful of what and how much I eat and I simply have days when I stay under my calories, days when I eat at maintenance and days when I eat over maintenance. I aim for balance looking at a longer period. In the grand schema of things, one or two days of eating more is not an issue as long as it balances out overall. I aim to enjoy myself at family gatherings etc and food is a part of that (but I also know that overeating will make me feel bad physically, so I indulge in moderation).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,387 Member
    I'm going to the neighbouring country, have a fab dinner in an ethiopian restaurant in the evening and go to a concert. Then come back home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2022
    evankarl1 wrote: »

Your diet (noun) should be something that is fluid, flexible, and you should be looking at the big picture. Holidays, birthdays, etc are occasions, not everyday occurrences. Nobody is fat and overweight because of an occasion...people get fat when everyday is treated like an occasion. There will always be occasions and celebrations and back yard BBQs, etc...these do not make up the bulk of your eating. Your overall diet should be flexible enough to deal with what will always be a factor.

Personally, I don't really know what the big deal is with holidays and how people think they're so unhealthy...maybe people just do it different than we do in my family. There isn't anything served at our holiday meals that is inherently unhealthy and controlling portions is an individual responsibility. I personally don't like the feeling of being overly stuffed, so I don't do that. I have a plate of food, just like I would at any other meal at any other time of year. It may overall be a bit more indulgent than everyday, but it's an occasion...it's ok. But honestly, a date night out with my wife is typically far more of an indulgence than our holiday menu, which I consider to be pretty normal and healthy food.

Typically holiday menus in my family:

Thanksgiving - Roasted Turkey, mashed potatoes/gravy, stuffing, green bean almondine, desert

Christmas - Standing rib roast, roasted potatoes, green bean almondine, desert

Easter - Roasted "engagement" chicken, mashed potatoes/gravy, green bean almondine, desert

I'm also not a heavy drinker on holidays...I'm not much of a heavy drinker these days in general...but I want to very much be present at the holidays with my friends and family, not two sheets to the wind. I don't drink at all on Easter because it's a Sunday and I don't drink on Sundays as Monday is a workday.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I factor in holidays, and don't find it a big deal. Christmas tends to be more of an issue (as in figuring out how to fit everything in) as it is more of a season (here, kicked off with Thanksgiving), whereas I'm not really someone who has done Easter chocolates/candy since I was a kid so it's basically a day with a festive dinner and perhaps brunch in a week that includes a fast day (Good Friday), so it tends to even out anyway without even planning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I factor in holidays, and don't find it a big deal. Christmas tends to be more of an issue (as in figuring out how to fit everything in) as it is more of a season (here, kicked off with Thanksgiving), whereas I'm not really someone who has done Easter chocolates/candy since I was a kid so it's basically a day with a festive dinner and perhaps brunch in a week that includes a fast day (Good Friday), so it tends to even out anyway without even planning.

Good point...yes, Thanksgiving through the New Year is typically more of an issue for me because it is a season that lasts over several weeks. Christmas in particular we are usually either visiting family or hosting family so not only do we have the main Christmas dinner, but we also are eating out a ton more than normal and there is way more baking and cookies and whatnot going around for weeks on end...not to mention (here in New Mexico), tamales, tamales, tamales, and more tamales throughout the holiday season.

Easter is just Easter and only a day and our typical Easter dinner isn't radically different than our regular Sunday dinner. Due to our schedules and whatnot, we don't typically eat as a family during the week so Sundays are usually our big family dinner nights and it's usually a roast of some kind or steaks or something like that. In fact, the "engagement chicken" (Barefoot Contessa Recipe) we're having for Easter this year is a pretty regular Sunday rotation...about once every month or two...it's just a super yummy roasted chicken and we're due as it's been a couple of months.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Long hike (because I have the day off) keeps me away from sugary treats, burns a ton of calories, makes me happy and fulfilled, and gets me great photos and time with my friends. Thanks for asking!

Easter is only once a year, but if you add up all the holidays where you're supposed to eat too many calories, well, I have other goals.
  • OnTheRoad24
    OnTheRoad24 Posts: 200 Member
    I will eat and drink as I want but try to not overindulge; then start again on Monday. Sometimes, ya gotta live life and then deal with it.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Ham is low in calories. I will also make a salad, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and have another veggie of some sort. There will be Hawaiian rolls as well a dessert of some sort. I will keep portions of each thing small and likely not drink much, if any, wine. It'll be okay. I am pretty strict typically with my intake so it'll be fine.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,812 Member
    I tried to make a lighter menu with seafood but will have cake. I'll eat and be happy, try to fit in some physical activity and keep it moving for the next day. I will log and try to be reasonable but not stress going over one day.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    My main thought on Easter is I'm very excited to see family who live far away and don't see often. Everyone is coming and going at different times, and unfortunately we won't have one big blow out with everyone, but I'm super excited anyway.

As far as food&beverage, I'm the cook this year, and although I have not pre-logged everything, I can tell already it's not outside a normal dinner. The main difference would be the Resurrection Cocktail and dessert (lemon mousse, which as far as desserts go is pretty light). Normally I would have one or the other, not both. But the magnitude of having both isn't mind blowing. It will be a mid-day meal, so my main thing will be to stop drinking, to nap or to exercise or both, and to have a light dinner. My kids are adults and I haven't bought Easter candy. I plan not to buy it. I really like candy, but I do best with small quantities spread out over time so I hope no one brings a ton of it.

I hope everyone has fun!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Easter isn't a holiday we really celebrate but for the ones we do? We don't sweat it. I track some really large number of calories and move on. Worked fine while I lost 70ish lbs, works fine maintaining. I don't stay within my calories all the time. Holidays happen. Eating out with people as an event happens. It mostly evens out.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I plan to track. I also plan to be over on calories.

This^^
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Enjoy yourself and don't make a huge issue out of your trying to lose weight. Make good choices, don't take home any left-overs, and pay closer attention next week. I agree with others that Easter is not as difficult as Thanksgiving though the first week of January. Easter is only one meal for most.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    One of the things I have found helpful is to ditch the all or nothing mindset.
    I'm not in a diet that starts/stops, just try to eat good food in reasonable quantities.

Brother is hosting family, there will be roast lamb and veg. Afterwards there will be cake and chocolates.
    There will be lots of chat, and running about with small people and dogs. It'll be lovely.

Years ago I worked out that I was more successful when I didn't stress about this stuff. That leads down a road eventually to feeling inadequate, miserable and binge eating because it's all screwed anyway. Something of lightbulb moment when I realised it didn't have to be that way.