Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Public vs private food diaries on MFP

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I've had my diary open for 9 years. When I joined MFP your food diary was automatically public, then they changed it to automatically private. I don't care one way or another. Very few have ever commented because my diary is in Italian with Italian products and imagine very few know what I'm eating. Since I live in Italy, we follow the Mediterranean diet as most do here. I eat pasta, pizza, risotto, fruits and vegetables, legumes, and EVOO is our main fat. Carbs are an important part of the diet. Love the "carbs are evil threads".

I kind of feel like I want to actively dislike you now. I LOVE Italian food! I am so jealous you live there! Had the best ever pizza in Sorrento a few years ago, it was just amazing. And, strangely for me, cheeseless. I love making risotto - obviously nowhere near as good as the authentic dish, but it’s so soothing to make.

If you like risotto--yesterday I made a family favorite that was my MIL's specialty.

Riso e Patata (Rice w Potatoes)

Get a type of rice that has the biggest kernels that you can find.
    The recipe uses 1/2 rice and 1/2 potatoes
    Put the rice in a deep saucepan--pour water and rinse it (I swirl it around and then gently pour it off)
    Then put enough water to cover it by an inch--turn on heat (keep it low, once the water boils--you want a simmer here)
    Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes (I eyeball the potatoes to be about the same volume as the rice--don't stress over this)
    My rice takes almost half an hour to cook, I put the potatoes in 10 min before the rice is done and cook w the rice.
    I keep adding water as needed and the rice absorbs.
    I use vegetable broth crystals, if you use real broth, it takes the place of water.
    Broth is usually salty so I don't add more.
    I do add pepper.
    When the rice is almost ready I add--gasp! butter--I eyeball. A good chunk (I'm feeding 4 men--all thin)
    Then (and your rice should be creamy, not watery) I shut off the heat and let it "rest" a few minutes.
    Last I add grated Parmigiano Reggiano and mix.

OMG - that sounds amazing! Oh wow, I need to try that 🤤

I'm having the same thought here. This ticks a lot of boxes for me: simple (I hate cooking so the less fuss the better), vegetarian, ability to control sodium... then I just have to think about the protein box.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    I've had my diary open for 9 years. When I joined MFP your food diary was automatically public, then they changed it to automatically private. I don't care one way or another. Very few have ever commented because my diary is in Italian with Italian products and imagine very few know what I'm eating. Since I live in Italy, we follow the Mediterranean diet as most do here. I eat pasta, pizza, risotto, fruits and vegetables, legumes, and EVOO is our main fat. Carbs are an important part of the diet. Love the "carbs are evil threads".

I kind of feel like I want to actively dislike you now. I LOVE Italian food! I am so jealous you live there! Had the best ever pizza in Sorrento a few years ago, it was just amazing. And, strangely for me, cheeseless. I love making risotto - obviously nowhere near as good as the authentic dish, but it’s so soothing to make.

If you like risotto--yesterday I made a family favorite that was my MIL's specialty.

Put the rice in a deep saucepan--pour water and rinse it (I swirl it around and then gently pour it off)
    Then put enough water to cover it by an inch--turn on heat (keep it low, once the water boils--you want a simmer here)
    Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes (I eyeball the potatoes to be about the same volume as the rice--don't stress over this)
    My rice takes almost half an hour to cook, I put the potatoes in 10 min before the rice is done and cook w the rice.
    I use vegetable broth crystals, if you use real broth, it takes the place of water.
    I do add pepper.
    When the rice is almost ready I add--gasp! butter--I eyeball. A good chunk (I'm feeding 4 men--all thin)
    Then (and your rice should be creamy, not watery) I shut off the heat and let it "rest" a few minutes.

I'm having the same thought here. This ticks a lot of boxes for me: simple (I hate cooking so the less fuss the better), vegetarian, ability to control sodium... then I just have to think about the protein box.

I’m thinking lean ham might complement it; beans might be too filling with it, maybe some sliced chicken breast steamed with lemon slices? Or hang it, scoff the carbs and have a protein shake later 😀
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

I do add pepper.

I’m thinking lean ham might complement it; beans might be too filling with it, maybe some sliced chicken breast steamed with lemon slices? Or hang it, scoff the carbs and have a protein shake later 😀

I'm thinking I love you a little right now for using the correct "complement" :D

I've got it: a Tofurky Italian sausage, that even keeps the meal in the same national theme.

........ or just have that protein shake later.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member

I do add pepper.

I'm thinking I love you a little right now for using the correct "complement" :D

I've got it: a Tofurky Italian sausage, that even keeps the meal in the same national theme.

........ or just have that protein shake later.
    Got to be honest - had to pause for a moment whilst typing to think which one was correct! 🤣 Stationery and stationary also make me pause for a moment!
  • climbergirl94
    climbergirl94 Posts: 1 Member
    I am not even sure if my diary is private or public, I will to check 🤣 I use it mainly keep within different each day amounts and to be mindful of everything I am eating. We eat mainly a Mediterranean based menu. I pretty much eat whatever I want, just smaller portions. It works for me to lose the weight I want to lose.
    I know there’s a person in our town who has her clients share their diaries with her, so she can monitor if they are sticking to the diet plan she gives them. So it has some use.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Private - so I can log what I actually eat with out feeling like people might judge or criticism.

So if my logging is incomplete or wrong I am only fooling myself and making the tool worth less.

Like if I eat 2 pizzas for dinner I would rather log it and know I messed up rather than say log 1 pizza so people who might look at my log dont see I went over by 2000 calories that day.
  • ShayAllenHill
    ShayAllenHill Posts: 64 Member
    Public. I can't think of a reason to make it private. I don't cover my plate with a newspaper when I go to a restaurant. And--who knows?--someone might benefit from seeing it.

If I had something on there that might aggravate my health-insurance provider, then I'd re-think it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Private 'cause trolls.

I'm an herbivore and have been astounded on the number of gaslighting trolls who take a look at my diary (why the hell are they looking there to begin with??) and then feel compelled to send me a private message ranting about how F'd I am for not eating animal products. Hateful, crappy stuff.

I just don't need that in my life.

Gotta agree with this - trolls suck! I made mine private after the last message I got that said you can't lose weight if you eat that much 'x'... which was one of the nicer comments... and I'm not even an herbivore... I am fairly monogamous in my eating habits and I have gotten some trolling remarks about that as well. Just not worth the hassle, so, private.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    I used to keep it private. But then I realized I like looking at other people's diaries (sometimes it gives me ideas) and turnabout is fair play, so now mine is open to friends.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    I don't even know how to look at other people's diaries but mine is public.
  • OnTheRoad24
    OnTheRoad24 Posts: 200 Member
    I set my Diary to 'Friends Only', my Profile & Badges and my Blog to 'My Friends Only'... all the other stuff is private because it's not essential.

After all, why have friends here at all if you're not going to share and encourage each other?
  • OnTheRoad24
    OnTheRoad24 Posts: 200 Member
    After all, why have friends here at all if you're not going to share and encourage each other?

well that is a separate question I think and perhaps one worth starting a thread about if you are interested in different people's reasons for having MFP friends.

Speaking as someone whose diary is private - I'm actually not interested in having friends on here at all - I just like posting in the forums and using MFP for logging - I dont want or need to share and encourage beyond that

my N = 1 - other people with private or public diaries may of course feel differently.

Actually, it's a very pertinent question to this thread. Meaning no disrespect but the fact that you don't have or want MFP friends for support makes me wonder why you would even need to join this discussion... it doesn't seem that you have a horse in this race... just saying