What are you snacking on?

Options
I am trying to snack healthier. I've started snacking on grapes, apples, baby bell peppers, and cheese but kind of draw a blank on what else I could do. I shop online so I can't just browse to see what looks good. I have access to a refrigerator, microwave, and toaster.

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerry, fiber one bars, granola bars, yogurt, jello, portioned crackers or cookies
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bananas, berries, oranges, and many other fruits. Celery,carrots, cucumbers w/ a homemade dip using plain non fat greek yogurt as your base with other seasonings and a splash of lemon juice. Protein shakes. I buy the Members Mark brand from Sams Club and its 160 calories, 2 net carbs, 1 gram of sugar, and 30 grams of protein. You could also use that protein shake as a base and add frozen fruit and maybe some almond milk to make your own protein smoothie that is tasty and filling.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    My 2 favorite snacks are plain nonfat yogurt, doctored up with a little SF syrup and blueberries, plus peanuts in the shell.
    I will also eat fresh veggies and hummus a lot, either as a snack or a meal.
    Sometimes when the munchies hit, for no real good reason, I'll make a cup of coffee or SF hot chocolate.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Pillers turkey pepperoni. Ratio bars.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter granola bars, dried cranberries, and low calorie rice crackers. I also like to keep a container of seedless grapes in the freezer (sweet cold treat)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    The frozen grapes mentioned above, reminds me of when I had lots of children in my daycare who refused to eat veggies. I'd take out of bag of frozen peas while I was making lunch, and they'd eat those like they were candy. Just a thought. :)
  • vgag2004
    vgag2004 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I've gotten into icelandic yogurt (siggi's) which has a lot of protein - more than greek yogurt and I add berries to it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I usually go with nibbles that contribute a bit of nutrition, and may have a few more calories, but that fit well in the overall eating puzzle: Reduced fat string cheese, plain nonfat Greek yogurt with chocolate peanut butter powder and frozen berries, crispy broad beans or chickpeas, prunes, Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars, chevre on a calorie-efficient substrate (there's a tortilla-sized crispy thing called "Coco Lite Pop Cake" that's 20 calories), microwaved puppodum . . .

ETA: If few calories available, then something like pickles, sauerkraut, marinated mushrooms. Since my BP is fine, the sodium isn't a big issue.
  • soymilkmilo
    soymilkmilo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    greek yoghurt with dark choc chips and honey, apples with peanut butter, pitted dates with peanut butter and dark choc chips, veggie sticks with hummus, rice cakes with pb/jam, edamame (salted or unsalted) 🤍
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ultra low cal ocean spray cranberry juice in the evening. About 10 calories per serving. A good sub for my sweet tooth and good additional to keep fluid levels high.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack is usually an apple and some almonds. I often have a stick of string cheese when I get home. Once or twice per week I sit down to a small bowl of chips and salsa.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just bust open a can of peas… protein fluff is also a great option
  • papercut2k
    papercut2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Second the Icelandic yogurt. But I buy Icelandic Provisions which I find creamier and less sour tasting than Siggis - especially the Fruit an Nut varieties. I also eaten grapes, apples, bananas. Hummus with crackers.

I have nuts in moderation or try to...

I found some recipes for no bake protein/snack balls. Which are pretty much dates or figs mix with whatever nut, other fruit you want and sometimes nut butter. Toss all that in a food processor an roll the paste in to balls.

Others a simple protein shake would to do it for me.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    1) Blueberries with unsweetened coconut yogurt - sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds and a small drizzle of honey. 2) Mary's crackers with a single serving Wholly Guarcamole.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Blue diamond nut thins with various accompaniments: cottage cheese, cheese, kipper snack, sardines, tuna, hummus, etc

Also, dried fruit, nuts, Clif nut butter bars or Kind bars.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    My fridge usually has Asian inspired cabbage/carrot/ginger slaw and/or grated carrots. That satisfies both my savory and sweet cravings. Grating carrots releases their natural sugars and given a little time, they taste sweeter grated than if you simply ate them whole or a thick carrot sticks.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but I had done one recommended freezing grapes - they sound pretty good.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    My fridge usually has Asian inspired cabbage/carrot/ginger slaw and/or grated carrots. That satisfies both my savory and sweet cravings. Grating carrots releases their natural sugars and given a little time, they taste sweeter grated than if you simply ate them whole or a thick carrot sticks.

I have the same in my fridge too, Carrot and daikon radish salad (Julienned)🙂 It's the only kind of salad I like. Try adding daikon (white) radish in it. Makes it better.
  • djhealthyyyy
    djhealthyyyy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My favourite is ryvita with a little cream cheese, sliced tomatoes and salt & pepper *chefs kiss*
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am cutting up vegetables for a recipe, I cut a few extra and put them in one-portion size baggies. That way when I open the fridge looking for something to eat, there are fresh vegie snacks right there in front.