60 yrs and up

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited April 2022
    By the way: If any of you have Silver Sneakers (this is a US thing, with some health insurance types), they have some good information on balance, too. (Plus lots of classes/videos of more general fitness/health topics aimed at 65+ ages, at various levels.)

There are scheduled live classes with some attention to balance (Yoga, EnerChi (which is Tai chi-like)), and on-demand videos (Yoga and EnerChi there, too, but also balance-specific videos).

The general site is here, and it has a way to check your eligibility:

https://tools.silversneakers.com/

If you have Silver Sneakers and a logon for the site (easy to get if eligible), some of the balance videos are in this section:

https://tools.silversneakers.com/OnDemand/Collections/Details/5

There's even an "Exercises for Vertigo" video.

For clarity: I've done some Silver Sneakers videos, and found them clear, straightforward, well-produced. I don't use them routinely, because I have a general routine of my own that mostly works for me - I just throw in the occasional video for variety. I haven't done their specific balance videos, but have found the others to be good.
  • tjharleygal55
    tjharleygal55 Posts: 479 Member
    Great comments! Thanks for the welcome. I am soo happy to hear you all talking about and encouraging each other to work on balance! I volunteer for a lot of things, but one thing I get paid for (even though I’m retired now) is teaching a weight strengthening class called Strong Bodies at our local Wellness Center. It’s a Nationwide weight training class for anyone 55 yrs and older. One of the things we try to do in addition to strengthening the muscles is to work on balance and help to teach ways to practice it at home. The things you suggested Ann are very helpful and even though I haven’t watched them yet, the videos you posted BCLadybug look very good. Anytime we are on one foot or having to adjust ourselves to stay up, we are working our balance. I’m finding the older I get, the more I have to work on it. Fortunately, we are on a calm lake, so paddle boarding isn’t too hard. (ie. I don’t go out on the 4th of July. 😂)
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 877 Member
    Ridiculous ,
    I want to make my box as large as possible too. What a lovely sentiment.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,179 Member
    @Ridiculous59, I remember Kareen's Yoga! Was my introduction to yoga too 😊

Balance and muscle strength, excellent reminder.
  • risinghope
    risinghope Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you for all the input regarding balance and muscle strength, and expanding the glass box! It is most helpful to see how others are coping with this kind of challenge.

Of course, this isn't the first rodeo for any of us! Sometimes, though, with the vertigo having been so debilitating on two occasions, and lasting mildly afterwards, I've had a lot of concern, but was able to deal with it, after recovering from acute stages, with some extremely gentle work on fascia (especially neck and shoulders for this) --- recommended: very easy and slow, non-habitual movements.

Going to take a look at those posted videos, too, thanks!

A little about me. I've practiced yoga in one form or another all my life -- but with a lot of lapsing! Now I find, my practice has to be very gentle and more consistent. I did love Tai Chi a lot at one time, and practiced zealously for about four years in my late 20s. I found, though, that I could not do yoga and Tai Chi do not mix. As to the spiritual side of yoga, well, in my mind, there is a spiritual side to all we do, and the poses and breathing of yoga (and Tai Chi) promote inner growth. Also have had strength training with free weights and gym. Choreographed aerobics classes eventually gave way to a love of running, from age 52 to early 60s. (Lots of weight fluctuations accompanying these practices, too, and I think most people know how that can be!)

I am very happy to find this thread and learn what others are doing to enjoy these years optimally. And I hope I can report back some SUP fun this summer!
  • maureensmith1220
    maureensmith1220 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm about to turn 60, and I have never had so much trouble with self control and losing weight. Sometimes I want to work on it, but lately I just don't feel like it. I need to lose 15 pounds to feel comfortable in most of my clothes. Please help me get started - again!
  • GigiBoise5
    GigiBoise5 Posts: 2 Member
    I am about to turn 63 and also have self control issues with food, I love chocolate!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited April 2022
    Not been in here for a while but back again, good luck Steve I agree rant as much as you want.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    @BCLadybug888 would using mfp's "weekly average" option be helpful for you? I was using it for a while and found it made sense for me. As long as my daily average was the desired amount, I was happy. It shows with and without earned exercise calories so you can do the math to figure out what half the calories would be. I used a raised bed for veggies last year for the first time. I made the mistake of planting cauliflower which wasn't a great idea. The heatdome we had last summer stressed them so I only ended up with four heads, yet they took up a lot of room in the garden. Lesson learned and I won't plant them this year!

@AnnPT77 I check the ice on the lake every other day because I'm also waiting impatiently to get on the water. The lake is finally clear this week, but there's still snow around the boathouse so must wait for that to disappear before we can open the doors and get the dock in the water. It's still below freezing at night so another week or so. We usually start paddling the first or second week of May and I can't wait!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited April 2022
    I am still here been a bit busy lately trying to train my puppy but it's hard work. I will try to come back later

Steve glad things have not got worse and its great your maintaining your weight.. Take care.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Hi Everyone, I'm starting again. I'd like to lose about 80 pounds. I've had three successful days so far but today I started feeling hungry. I am trying to stick to 1200 calories a day. But today I was so hungry that I added another 150 calories for 3 cups of popcorn. Do any of you have any thoughts on how to keep from feeling hungry all the time.
    This is a very supportive group. I love all the good advice and information.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Hi Everyone, I'm starting again. I'd like to lose about 80 pounds. I've had three successful days so far but today I started feeling hungry. I am trying to stick to 1200 calories a day. But today I was so hungry that I added another 150 calories for 3 cups of popcorn. Do any of you have any thoughts on how to keep from feeling hungry all the time.
    This is a very supportive group. I love all the good advice and information.

Is 1200 by any chance more aggressively low than absolutely essential, given your current height, weight, activity level, etc.? (1200 plus exercise was way too low for me, when I started calorie counting to lose weight, at age 59).

Beyond that, my experience is that there can be an adaptation period, when reducing calories. Our bodies are habituated to getting more, speaking casually "expect" more, and appetite spikes as a result. For me, that adaptation takes maybe a couple of weeks?

Some people find that gradually reducing calories helps moderate hunger pangs during an adaptation, i.e., starting a bit under estimated maintenance calories for current weight, then knocking goal down by a couple hundred daily calories once a week or so . . . sort of a calorie deficit "on ramp".

Some people find that eating in a different timing pattern reduces feeling hungry. (The details vary by individual, anything from one meal a day to all-day grazing on many small meals/snacks).

Some people find that eating more so-called "whole foods" is more filling.

Different people seem to be sated by different things: Common ones are any of more protein, more fats, more volume (like lots of high-fiber but less calorie-dense veggies). For some people, particular foods are especially filling. Whole potatoes (such as baked) and oatmeal are common but not universal ones. Hydration may sometimes masquerade as hunger, or some non-caloric beverage may be filling at least temporarily. (For some people, something hot, like maybe herb tea, works better than a cold drink.)

If sleep quality/quantity is sub-ideal, and can be improved, sometimes that can help with managing appetite (partly because fatigue triggers energy seeking, i.e., calorie cravings; partly because being tired can reduce will power). Similarly, if stress is high and can be reduced, that may help, because stress is fatiguing.

If nutrition is sub-ideal, sometimes improving nutrition can reduce appetite - adequate fats, protein and fiber are good starting points to experiment with, if not there yet.

For me, when I was losing at a good clip, my personal "satiation formula" was a solid breakfast with plenty of protein, then adequate protein spread through the day; at least one meal (usually dinner) with plenty of volume (for me, in the form of at least one giant veggie serving). I find oatmeal (with berries and plain Greek yogurt) especially filling, and eat it regularly for breakfast or lunch. If I start getting crave-y and a meal isn't coming up pretty soon, it helps to have a small snack, usually protein-y (like reduced fat string cheese or a hard-boiled egg). When I was at low calories, I kept shelf-stable snacks in my car for those moments (such as crispy chickpeas in 100-calorie packs, or dry-roasted soybeans). If hungry when fixing a meal, I'd tend to turn to raw veggies to snack on while I cooked, like cucumber, celery, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, etc.

I also found that cravings for sweets, for me, were reduced if I made it a point to eat multiple servings of whole fruit daily (it took some time for that effect to kick in).

But that's just me. I'm just sharing it as an example. Other people's posts here on MFP make me believe that others' patterns can be quite different from mine. Experimenting with alternative patterns for a couple of days at a time may help. So might considering when you feel more or less hungry, then looking at your diary (or other aspects of your day) to see if you can observe actionable patterns. That's how I discovered some of the things in my "personal pattern".

In addition to things I mentioned, some people find that exercise (maybe specific types or intensities) can spike appetite, or mute it. For a while, I found I was especially hungry after strength training (same day or even next), but that a well-timed small snack before/after those workouts seemed to help. I've seen people say that a short walk or equivalent movement can dull their appetite temporarily. Again, that's individual.

Here's hoping it will work out for you, soon: Wrangling with appetite spikes is no fun.