Intermittent fast 30 day challenge

My weight loss has stalled, and I’m looking to start a challenge for myself for the next 30 days. I’ll fast between 6 pm and 12 the next day. Any tips, tricks, or helpful insights needed. No negativity towards fasting, please. Who’s ready to do this with me and hold each other accountable?

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    You know what the problem is, right? You are not in a calorie deficit. If that is by choice, ok. But if not, go back to basics and start counting correctly.
  • jjkh5970
    jjkh5970 Posts: 466 Member
    I have been in a calorie deficit for months, and doing well. Just hit a plateau. Like I said I wanted to discuss IF and no negativity.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    If you are truly at a plateau for the last 6 weeks or so, then you are eating at maintenance most likely and you need to adjust your calories down. Intermittent fasting is fine if it works for you, but you don't have to do it to get through a plateau.
  • wilson10102018
    You call it a plateau, I call it no calorie deficit. Either way, you have to re-calibrate and start over.
  • jjkh5970
    Wow y’all really didn’t get my post did you. I’m looking for support in IF. If your not offering that, then scroll on..
  • musicfan68
    This is a public message board so anyone can respond to any post they want.
    A lot of us have been here a long time and see a lot of newer poeple think they have to do this or that to lose weight. You just need a calorie deficit. We're just letting you know that. Intermittent fasting is hard for a lot of people. If it is going to be difficult for you, don't think you have to do it.
  • jjkh5970
    Wow you really think you know it all right?! Actually I’ve had mfp for years. It’s been awhile since I have posted but I’m Not new here. Nor am I new to weight loss or fitness. I’ve actually lost 30 lbs since Dec when I had my 4th child. I don’t need info on calorie deficit. I’m well aware. Some people use different methods to lose weight. Maybe you don’t like IF.. but that has worked for me before and it will work now. I’m only looking for other people who want to share insights on the same journey as I am. Thank you so much for your insight, but it’s not needed.
  • musicfan68
    Actually, due to my schedule, I do do IF. Have for years. Other people (obviously not as knowledgeable as you) also read these forums and may think they need to do this to lose weight. That is why there are people who get on the thread and give different perspectives.. Sorry for putting it out there. But thanks for assuming I don't know about IF. I'll just go away and let you do your thing. You might want to look in the "challenges" subforum for more support.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Here's the things I can share about IF ... it's a way to cut calories so you are in a deficit ... you simply do it by cutting out that evening snack, breakfast and morning snack ... and start your day with your first meal being at mid day ... and then your second meal being supper ... the Trick is to eat food that has 'staying power' so that you will not be searching for something to eat again real soon.

It's a great way to learn when you are really hungry and when the food you ate at your last meal is driving you to have sugar spikes and lows that drive you to have 'munchies' ...

I do IF for periods of time ... have for many years. What I don't do is what a lot of people who do IF practice is a Ketogenic way of eating for the one or two meals they eat in a day. I find that I cannot eat as much fat and protein as I'd need to for that kind of a meal plan. I also found that it is not all types of carbohydrates that make it hard to be comfortable until my next 'feed' ... so I stay away from those types of food and the list is such that I'm pretty much left with whole foods that are carb based ... fresh produce and low-sugar fruits. Bread, crackers, rolls, candy, cookies, pies, donuts, ice cream, etc., etc. all make me very hungry within an hour of having it .. so those items are left off my daily menu and are only included in small servings at special occasions when I am away from home. If I have them at home, then it better be that there is a crowd with me and we will finish it all up so none is left. Cause .. if it's around, I'll eat it to the exclusion of more satiating and nutritious food. ...

Good luck going IF ... like I said, it's a method for restricting calories, and for some people, its a way to restrict foods as well.
  • wilson10102018
    Sure. No intention to hurt your feelings on my part, but there really is no other way than calorie deficit. Just different ways of getting there. I think fasting can work . . . as long as the fasting results in a calorie deficit. Its the science. Implying that you can not eat for a while and then eat with an average net surplus calories is not science.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Sure. No intention to hurt your feelings on my part, but there really is no other way than calorie deficit. Just different ways of getting there. I think fasting can work . . . as long as the fasting results in a calorie deficit. Its the science. Implying that you can not eat for a while and then eat with an average net surplus calories is not science.
    ... well, if you are fasting and then eating with a surplus of calories .. you are defeating the purpose to fast for weight loss.

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,528 Member
    jjkh5970 wrote: »
    Wow you really think you know it all right?! Actually I’ve had mfp for years. It’s been awhile since I have posted but I’m Not new here. Nor am I new to weight loss or fitness. I’ve actually lost 30 lbs since Dec when I had my 4th child. I don’t need info on calorie deficit. I’m well aware. Some people use different methods to lose weight. Maybe you don’t like IF.. but that has worked for me before and it will work now. I’m only looking for other people who want to share insights on the same journey as I am. Thank you so much for your insight, but it’s not needed.

Then I strongly recommend not posting on a public forum. People will give their opinions, you can't stop them. All you can do is choose your own actions.