Frustrating and Discouraging

Options
I lost 15 pounds in my first month, now I seem to be gaining it back slowly but I’m still working out

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calorie intake by measuring your food? Have you figured out your calorie goal for the day?
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Exercise can cause water retention to aid in recovery. Also, this is extremely important. Are you eating back calories you have “burned”?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    A lot of the weight loss in the first couple of weeks is water, especially if you switch from a high carb diet to a lower carb diet. Once your body gets used to the way of eating, the water doesn't fluctuate as much, so you may see apparent weight gain. It isn't fat, but then, the 5 lbs. lost the first week isn't fat either. Also, as gpanda said, exercise can cause muscles to retain water. I have learned not to weigh myself after a long hard workout.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Cluelessmama1979 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    In addition, depending on your other stats, after losing 15lbs, your tdee may have changed enough to affect your results! Might wanna check with your new info to make sure you're still eating at a deficit!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    How much have you 'slowly gained back'?

if you lost 15 lb in first month, that is quite a lot and some of it would be temporary water loss - which you then put back on because, temporary

So if you lost 15 lb and then re gained, say, 5lb, I would consider that just normal fluctuation or readjustment that happens once your body gets used to your new way of eating.
    I would just check what you are doing and give it bit more time - you should see steady losses, but at slower rate than 15 lb per month, from here on.

• ErinKeegan2
    ErinKeegan2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    sometimes it happens, try not to stress out
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining, unless it's all muscle, it means you are in a calorie surplus and have to do a better job at tracking your calories. If you are doing that and still gaining then you have over estimated what you should be eating for your daily calories. It's really not more complicated than that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    pcrozier99 wrote: »
    If you are gaining, unless it's all muscle, it means you are in a calorie surplus and have to do a better job at tracking your calories. If you are doing that and still gaining then you have over estimated what you should be eating for your daily calories. It's really not more complicated than that.

yes - if it is significant amount over significant time.

If it is just a few pounds after a largish initial loss - then No.

It is just normal fluctuation and re adjustment of water weight.

seems to me, from limited information admittedly, that the second scenario applies to OP