Would I still lose weight if my diet consisted of junk food but still under my weekly calorie limit?

2»

Replies

• Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2022
    https://www.foodandwine.com/news/twinkie-preservation-fungus-research
    This article from food and wine magazine about a guy who stocked up on Twinkies when Hostess went out of business, mistakenly believing that they would last forever, might cure you of any Twinkie/Hostess cravings. At least for 8 year old twinkies you find in your basement…. Apparently they are only shelf stable for 25-45 days (which is still awfully long for sponge cake!) and these 8 yr old ones had “some sort of organism growing in them.” They were donated to scientists who wanted to investigate the Twinkie myth further, and the scientists used bone marrow biopsy tools to extract the moldy creme specimens from said Twinkies ….
    Should I go on?

I think it is hysterical that food and wine published this article … so to relate it back to the OP’s question you can lose or gain weight by eating so called fine or fast food calories just the same. Its all a matter of choice and preference. I choose to find my moldy organisms in a stinky cheese ripened in someone’s basement for 8 years over a twinkie, but I will get just as many or as few calories as you depending on how much or little of each we eat in one sitting. And I make my choice not because the stinky cheese is any less caloric (it is definitely more caloric gram for gram but I will want less of it) but rather because I like the taste better.

There are, however, other health trade offs to think about when choosing between indulgences. Or when deciding what to eat for a normal meal. The reason why people eschew fast foods when “eating healthy” is because they often are fried or contain unhealthy levels of unhealthy fats, may have a lot of sugar, may lack fiber or protein in proportion to other macros, may not make an overall valuable contribution to your needed vitamin and mineral intake for the day and thus risk leaving you nutritionally malnourished even though you are consuming sufficient calories.

ETA: not sure how the stinky cheese and the twinkie stack up against each other on these last points - they each have their negatives, but they can also each be a reasonable indulgence every once in a while if that is what we choose, so I am not going to trouble my little head figuring it out and just have the one I like, and you should do the same.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,348 Member
    You know, it was while using MFP to count calories and lose weight that I first bought a pack of the new Twinkies (you guys are aware that they stopped making them for a while right?)

I have to say that overall they weren't the best investment in late breakfast calories: combining them with a vanilla cone from McD's and an extra large black coffee a few days later was much better 😹🤣😂

In any case... still here! Weight still not back and I would still prefer something better than Twinkies for my calories! Except once or twice in a while! 😉
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Next time try them with gorgonzola!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2022
    To quote @Sinisterbarbie1 :
    "There are, however, other health trade offs to think about when choosing between indulgences. Or when deciding what to eat for a normal meal. The reason why people eschew fast foods when “eating healthy” is because they often are fried or contain unhealthy levels of unhealthy fats, may have a lot of sugar, may lack fiber or protein in proportion to other macros, may not make an overall valuable contribution to your needed vitamin and mineral intake for the day and thus risk leaving you nutritionally malnourished even though you are consuming sufficient calories."

This reminded me of the last time I went to any restaurant. It happened to be Ninety-Nines. They have the calorie counts with their meals(I wish every place did :(). Anyways, I was amazed when I saw how many calories even a simple burger meal, with fries and a side can contain. :( More than a whole day+ worth. Plus, the amounts of food served are ridiculous in a lot of places and doggy bagged food rewarmed just doesn't cut it.
    TG we can make choices. :)
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Sure you will lose weight but you will feel/become like garbage in the longer term.
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    In the short term, yes, you can lose weight even eating bad food if you are in a deficit. However, if that were to continue over the long run, you would have a myriad of other health issues. It's a bad idea. If you want to get healthy, make better choices and get healthy. There are no easy roads.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Yes you will

Still too long.

"Yes."

😄