How to cope with being fat while in the process of losing weight?

How do you guys cope with the fat still being there while you're losing weight? like I mean, yes, in a few months I might lose the weight I want to lose but in the mean time what do I do????? How do I cope with living day to day in this body knowing I'm fat and losing the fat so slowly? How do I show my face? The shame is unbearable and my no. 1 coping skill has been food since I was little so it's even harder to abstain from binge eating and overeating when I feel so badly about my body. Anyone else relate??? what do you do to cope? does it get better?

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 420 Member
    YOU are not a number on a scale or an amount of fat that is on your body. YOU are the person inside. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Keep moving forward for yourself. Desire the best possible life for your adventure on this planet. None of us are doing everything perfectly. We're all just doing this adventure the best way we can.
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    I cope by reminding myself that I am going to find myself beyond the body that has enveloped me - that I'm coming for me and to just hold on. I remind myself that my number one goal is to make daily healthy food choices so I can feel and look better. I tell myself that so I can keep going-because the weight DOES come off and so do the inches. I just need to focus on the goal. Believe me, it works. I hope you find the self talk that lets you know you're not giving up on yourself, no matter how long it takes!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    As soon as I started really losing weight (after the first 10lbs or so), I started to feel more confident because I felt in control.

If you struggle so much with shame and binge eating, have you considered therapy? It might help you find other coping strategies and feel better about yourself.
  • fitness_goals_007
    fitness_goals_007 Posts: 28 Member
    I love myself for the person I am not just the body I am in, so I feel like I am fairly confident. Although I am the heaviest I ever have been in my life, and I find I don't have the energy I used to. My job is pretty active so I find by the end of the day I am exhausted. I am lucky that my partner loves my body, so I don't feel like I have to hide or be ashamed in that sense. It's always uncomfortable for me to see or run in to people that haven't seen me in a while though, since I have gained so much.

While you are on this journey I encourage you to find things about yourself that you love that go beyond the body. Also find other goals other than losing weight to focus on. I totally get where you are at though. It's taken me years of self hatred to finally come to a place of peace within myself. Now it's just about being healthy for a long and happy life.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Keep yourself distracted by choosing growth in other ways. Learn new skills. Read more books. Maybe pick up a different language. This is how I'm coping for a while since I've become reclusive because I'm feeling self conscious being out unless I have to be. It is helpful to keep my mind and my hands occupied (try sketching or journalling). If watching TV makes me want to snack, I choose to walk in place or have a walking workout play on the tablet on the side and I follow along. Hope it does get better for you 🙂
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I never really had 'shame' about my body and weight loss was never a hobby for me. Meaning that it wasn't an obsession or a passion or a 'project' I was going to 'complete'. I logged my food, kept within some kind of calorie deficit most of the time, and bought new clothes when my old ones got too big.

That's still more or less what I do. It's just as the weight came off I found I had the energy and ability to do more fun, active things.

I'm not my weight. My weight was the least interesting thing about my obese and it's still the least interesting thing about me at 120lbs.

Basically, you need to work on your BRAIN, maybe with therapy (not an insult it helps) separately from your weight. Because if you're not confident now, and you're relying on being smaller to solve that, you're going to quickly discover... it doesn't. It won't solve your mental health or life issues. And discovering that being smaller doesn't resolve those issues is a recipe to rebound weight wise.

So, get working on that NOW. With professional help (again not an insult but professionals are the best place to get that help.)
  • fat2thingirl
    fat2thingirl Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2022
    88AViva wrote: »
    Keep yourself distracted by choosing growth in other ways. Learn new skills. Read more books. Maybe pick up a different language. This is how I'm coping for a while since I've become reclusive because I'm feeling self conscious being out unless I have to be. It is helpful to keep my mind and my hands occupied (try sketching or journalling). If watching TV makes me want to snack, I choose to walk in place or have a walking workout play on the tablet on the side and I follow along. Hope it does get better for you 🙂

thank you for the tips! I'm going to try them. I'm sorry you're feeling self conscious about being out, that's such a terrible feeling to feel stuck inside the house because of these feelings.. I hope you can find confidence to be able to go outside of the house and feel good about yourself soon. you're worth so much and you are not your weight. <3 *hugs*
  • fat2thingirl
    fat2thingirl Posts: 41 Member
    Thank you all for your responses and insight, I appreciate you guys taking the time to comment on my post!! <3 have a great day
  • ErinKeegan2
    ErinKeegan2 Posts: 20 Member
    I remind myself that I'm not my weight, I'm a Person, doesn't matter how much you weigh, more important to be a good man.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    How long did it take you to get fat? How long have you been living with this situation? All of a sudden it's intolerable? If you are uncomfortable with the way you look, then use it for incentive to keep going with weight loss. Do you want to do this all over again every 5 years or so? If not, use this time to learn healthy, sustainable habits for the rest of your life. This is a process that needs time and patience. Follow the boards and learn how to do it right (hint--it's not fast).