What are you snacking on?

I am trying to snack healthier. I've started snacking on grapes, apples, baby bell peppers, and cheese but kind of draw a blank on what else I could do. I shop online so I can't just browse to see what looks good. I have access to a refrigerator, microwave, and toaster.

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,797 Member
    Beef Jerry, fiber one bars, granola bars, yogurt, jello, portioned crackers or cookies
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    Bananas, berries, oranges, and many other fruits. Celery,carrots, cucumbers w/ a homemade dip using plain non fat greek yogurt as your base with other seasonings and a splash of lemon juice. Protein shakes. I buy the Members Mark brand from Sams Club and its 160 calories, 2 net carbs, 1 gram of sugar, and 30 grams of protein. You could also use that protein shake as a base and add frozen fruit and maybe some almond milk to make your own protein smoothie that is tasty and filling.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2022
    My 2 favorite snacks are plain nonfat yogurt, doctored up with a little SF syrup and blueberries, plus peanuts in the shell.
    I will also eat fresh veggies and hummus a lot, either as a snack or a meal.
    Sometimes when the munchies hit, for no real good reason, I'll make a cup of coffee or SF hot chocolate.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Pillers turkey pepperoni. Ratio bars.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    I like peanut butter granola bars, dried cranberries, and low calorie rice crackers. I also like to keep a container of seedless grapes in the freezer (sweet cold treat)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    The frozen grapes mentioned above, reminds me of when I had lots of children in my daycare who refused to eat veggies. I'd take out of bag of frozen peas while I was making lunch, and they'd eat those like they were candy. Just a thought. :)
  • vgag2004
    vgag2004 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2022
    I've gotten into icelandic yogurt (siggi's) which has a lot of protein - more than greek yogurt and I add berries to it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited April 2022
    I usually go with nibbles that contribute a bit of nutrition, and may have a few more calories, but that fit well in the overall eating puzzle: Reduced fat string cheese, plain nonfat Greek yogurt with chocolate peanut butter powder and frozen berries, crispy broad beans or chickpeas, prunes, Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars, chevre on a calorie-efficient substrate (there's a tortilla-sized crispy thing called "Coco Lite Pop Cake" that's 20 calories), microwaved puppodum . . .

ETA: If few calories available, then something like pickles, sauerkraut, marinated mushrooms. Since my BP is fine, the sodium isn't a big issue.
  • soymilkmilo
    soymilkmilo Posts: 10 Member
    greek yoghurt with dark choc chips and honey, apples with peanut butter, pitted dates with peanut butter and dark choc chips, veggie sticks with hummus, rice cakes with pb/jam, edamame (salted or unsalted) 🤍
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    Ultra low cal ocean spray cranberry juice in the evening. About 10 calories per serving. A good sub for my sweet tooth and good additional to keep fluid levels high.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    My afternoon snack is usually an apple and some almonds. I often have a stick of string cheese when I get home. Once or twice per week I sit down to a small bowl of chips and salsa.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Sometimes I just bust open a can of peas… protein fluff is also a great option
  • papercut2k
    papercut2k Posts: 83 Member
    Second the Icelandic yogurt. But I buy Icelandic Provisions which I find creamier and less sour tasting than Siggis - especially the Fruit an Nut varieties. I also eaten grapes, apples, bananas. Hummus with crackers.

I have nuts in moderation or try to...

I found some recipes for no bake protein/snack balls. Which are pretty much dates or figs mix with whatever nut, other fruit you want and sometimes nut butter. Toss all that in a food processor an roll the paste in to balls.

Others a simple protein shake would to do it for me.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    1) Blueberries with unsweetened coconut yogurt - sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds and a small drizzle of honey. 2) Mary's crackers with a single serving Wholly Guarcamole.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited April 2022
    Blue diamond nut thins with various accompaniments: cottage cheese, cheese, kipper snack, sardines, tuna, hummus, etc

Also, dried fruit, nuts, Clif nut butter bars or Kind bars.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2022
    My fridge usually has Asian inspired cabbage/carrot/ginger slaw and/or grated carrots. That satisfies both my savory and sweet cravings. Grating carrots releases their natural sugars and given a little time, they taste sweeter grated than if you simply ate them whole or a thick carrot sticks.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I haven't tried it yet but I had done one recommended freezing grapes - they sound pretty good.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    My fridge usually has Asian inspired cabbage/carrot/ginger slaw and/or grated carrots. That satisfies both my savory and sweet cravings. Grating carrots releases their natural sugars and given a little time, they taste sweeter grated than if you simply ate them whole or a thick carrot sticks.

I have the same in my fridge too, Carrot and daikon radish salad (Julienned)🙂 It's the only kind of salad I like. Try adding daikon (white) radish in it. Makes it better.
  • djhealthyyyy
    djhealthyyyy Posts: 1 Member
    My favourite is ryvita with a little cream cheese, sliced tomatoes and salt & pepper *chefs kiss*
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 195 Member
    Whenever I am cutting up vegetables for a recipe, I cut a few extra and put them in one-portion size baggies. That way when I open the fridge looking for something to eat, there are fresh vegie snacks right there in front.