Name one weight loss tip that worked for you besides tracking

1235»

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I don't track calories - I cut out added sugar and highly processed food, eat 30-40 grams of fibre a day, and don't eat after dinner. (I am a binge eater - moderation doesn't work for me.)
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Focus on the 90%, not the 10%.
  • JustJ2014
    JustJ2014 Posts: 5,235 Member
    walking daily
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    pcrozier99 wrote: »
    Distinguishing actual hunger from a craving. If you are eating your calories and macros for the day, the feeling you get at night is NOT hunger. It is a craving. Get past it.

Sadly, the lack of disagree button... means that I have to, respectfully, and hopefully without derailing a wonderfully interesting thread, insert a comment! :blush:

Is it worth trying to learn how to distinguish between cravings and hunger? Absolutely worthwhile for many of us.

But is eating one's calories and macros for the day a sufficient condition to distinguish between the two?

It depends on the actual proximate and cumulative size of your deficit. And your current degree of energy reserves. And on what else may be going on.

So no it isn't a sufficient condition.

Split hairs all you like. Point remains the same. Unplanned snacking is mostly out of habit or boredom. It is not due to hunger.
  • j75jyh97nq
    j75jyh97nq Posts: 7 Member
    I'm new on this journey, but a couple things that haven't been mentioned repeatedly so far.

1. education about why and how the body stores fat so I could make better dietary choices. I've found this very interesting and can't wait to hear more and more podcasts on the same subject. Weird, but motivating for me.
    2. switched to a savory breakfast. I'm a morning eater, so continuing the fast won't be my method.
    3. Understanding my body reduced its metabolic rate shortly after I consistently reduced my calories, so I needed a plan to counter that as well.

I wish everyone success. Thank you for sharing great tips and tricks and being a supportive community.
  • JustJ2014
    Eat healthy homemade foods. Find things you love to eat that you know are good for you. Eat all of that when you are hungry
  • Amandajocr
    Amandajocr Posts: 1 Member
    Trying to include at least one if not two walks per day, even though I’ve already worked out. Walking is so important, Especially after a meal.

When I’m hungry, I eat a small meal (200-400 calories) rather than some tiny snack that leaves you hungry. Especially avoiding your typical carby snack/junk food that never leaves me full. I Shoot for something higher protein/fat than carb for any extra snacks in the day.

Drinking more water than I thought humanly possible. I will drink at least one or two pint glasses of water when I THINK I’m hungry, then reassess. The whole “you’re probably thirsty rather than hungry” mantra is actually true!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    Figuring out your "non-negotiables" and finding ways to work them into your overall plan. For me, a sweet treat at the end of the day is non-negotiable. I find that it tells my brain we're done eating for the day, so I always leave calories on the table for that. Little things like that make the process so much easier!
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 420 Member
    JustJ2014 wrote: »
    walking daily

I really hate to exercise, but I do enjoy walking, hiking and biking. My husband had hip replacement surgery, so we walk about 4 to 5 miles a day now!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    -Small, incremental changes

-Crowding out calorie-dense foods with low calorie, nutrient-dense foods, 70% of my plate is often raw vegetables

-Focusing on how my body feels after I eat, and choosing foods and food quantities based on that feedback

-Prioritizing nutrition and exercise as necessary self-care, not punishment for not being "good enough"
  • JustJ2014
    walking daily

I really hate to exercise, but I do enjoy walking, hiking, and biking. My husband had hip replacement surgery, so we walk about 4 to 5 miles a day now!

I had a bilateral hip replacement in Feb 2019 and walking is the best thing for me. I struggle with 2 miles a day but I push through.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Eating vegetables with every meal, including breakfast.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Realizing that being hungry isn't an emergency :D
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 420 Member
    walking daily

I really hate to exercise, but I do enjoy walking, hiking, and biking. My husband had hip replacement surgery, so we walk about 4 to 5 miles a day now!

I had a bilateral hip replacement in Feb 2019 and walking is the best thing for me. I struggle with 2 miles a day but I push through.

I hope you get there with walking and that it becomes more comfortable for you. My husband was in good shape physically other than needing a new hip. His weight was perfect for him, and he had been very active until the hip slowed him down. Now he's an energizer bunny again. I am happy for him. I really hope for a long, good outcome for you with your two new hips!
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Eating the same thing every day. I was able to lose weight for 18 weeks in a row using that technique. Admittedly not many people can do that, but if you can, give it a try. I found it reduced the internal dialog on what I should or shouldn't be eating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    Getting enough rest and recovery. You burn the most body fat at rest NOT working out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JustJ2014
    Eating half of my food when I dine out. Saving the other half for the next days lunch