waight loss

What is the most effective weight loss method or program?
Tagged:

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    Well, that's a broad question.

My answer is: any method that
    - puts you in a calorie deficit (the only real requirement to lose weight)
    - is easy to follow (you don't get bonus points for suffering, so eat foods you like and, if you want to exercise, do exercise you like)
    - helps build good habits to keep the weight off long-term (for a lot of people, this means losing losing at a moderate pace instead of 'as fast as possible and building good habits gradually instead of overhauling your life and then' going back to normal' and gaining back the lost weight)

What that looks like more concretely is highly individual: counting calories, counting macros, intermittent fasting, reducing carbs, reducing food intake, increasing exercise and/or non exercise activity and/or many other optons.

The key to success is finding a method you can stick to and works for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    The one that fits you personally best, i.e., aligns with your eating/activity preferences, exploits your personal strengths (mostly psychological but also physical, and minimizes things that are difficult for you (again, mostly psychologically, but also physically).

No one else knows what that is. If you experiment, and really pay attention to how you feel, you can figure it out.

IMO, what you want is a general approach that is relatively easy and sustainable for you, so that you can establish new habits that get you to a healthy weight and stay there long term (ideally permanently) almost on autopilot, when life gets difficult.

Experimenting, identifying the viable new habits, and practicing them until they're mostly automatic: That part does take some attention, motivation, effort, will power for most of us, because any change takes that kind of effort to overcome inertia. But if the long-term habits feel unnatural and difficult . . . well, most of us can't stick with something forever that requires continuous motivation or willpower.

Just my opinion.

If you insist on falling for the "one best way" mythology, there's this to consider:

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diets-overall

It's at least semi-level-headed.
  • chuckees130
    chuckees130 Posts: 16 Member
    working out with small weights in the beginning. like 3 to 5 pounds
  • ErinKeegan2
    ErinKeegan2 Posts: 20 Member
    1. Cut back on refined carbs. When you do that, your hunger levels go down, and you generally end up eating fewer calories. With a low-carb eating plan, you’ll utilize burning stored fat for energy instead of carbs.
    2. Eat protein such as beef, chicken, pork, lamb, salmon, trout, sardines, shrimp, eggs, beans, legumes, quinoa, tempeh, and tofu. Eat vegetables such as broccoli cauliflower spinach tomatoes kale Brussels sprouts cabbage cucumber peppers
    3. And of course, move your body. If you have the opportunity, go to the gym, if not, go jogging in the park, or buy a compact treadmill, choose here and use it at least 4 times a week
    I gave these pieces of advice to you because I went through it myself. If you don't change your unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy one, nothing can help.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    1. Cut back on refined carbs. When you do that, your hunger levels go down, and you generally end up eating fewer calories. With a low-carb eating plan, you’ll utilize burning stored fat for energy instead of carbs.
    2. Eat protein such as beef, chicken, pork, lamb, salmon, trout, sardines, shrimp, eggs, beans, legumes, quinoa, tempeh, and tofu. Eat vegetables such as broccoli cauliflower spinach tomatoes kale Brussels sprouts cabbage cucumber peppers
    3. And of course, move your body. If you have the opportunity, go to the gym, if not, go jogging in the park, or buy a compact treadmill, choose here and use it at least 4 times a week
    I gave these pieces of advice to you because I went through it myself. If you don't change your unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy one, nothing can help.

I disagree with the first point. The whole “carb bad” thing is just the newest fad. Yes, highly processed carbs can be really easy to over eat. But completely cutting things out just leads to binges. They have a purpose, and you can definitely eat them if you know how to have it in a way that suits your goals.
  • ErinKeegan2
    ErinKeegan2 Posts: 20 Member
    gpanda103 wrote: »

I disagree with the first point. The whole “carb bad” thing is just the newest fad. Yes, highly processed carbs can be really easy to over eat. But completely cutting things out just leads to binges. They have a purpose, and you can definitely eat them if you know how to have it in a way that suits your goals.

Yes I'm sorry, I expressed myself incorrectly, I don't want to say hard limit yourself, I just wanted to say, if you can replace "snickers" with banana or peach, it would be better to do it, but if you can't do it, eat a chocolate bar and don't punish yourself
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    working out with small weights in the beginning. like 3 to 5 pounds

Why? TO doesn't say she is immobile, and 3-5lbs weights are pretty much useless for everything. Would you recommend the same if TO was a guy? Every groceries shopping includes moving higher weights, having children as well.