Less Alcohol ~ APRIL 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    My usual goal, 16-20AF days for the month. Diary style.
    I had 21AF days for March, but it was a longer month.
    My reason for drinking less is for weight loss.

Friday April 22 - 2 drinks - HR to the rescue, my work issues solved : - ) Planned AF for Saturday, split shift on my usual day off, Sunday, so I need all of my energy. 1 day off is not enough for me, but this will be the last time for that.
    Saturday April 23 - AF - In preparation for a split shift
    Sunday April 24 - AF - Kind of felt like having a couple of drinks when finally getting home from work, just used some willpower not to.
    Monday April 25 - AF - Planned drinks Tuesday (after my pedicure : )) and Friday.
    Tuesday April 26 - 2 drinks. 3 was always my norm, but over this past year it has changed to 2. Less frequent days of drinks must equal less tolerance. I am always happy to see my 16, I expect to exceed that a bit for this month. Planned AF Wednesday and Thursday.

Rolling total: 16AF day out of 25 days
  • dawnbgethealthy
    @Lilylady3k

I was surprised to see so much jerk chicken on the menus from that link that you posted for the New Orleans April festival. My fave : - )

Interesting that they posted an EatFit app at the bottom to download and show healthier options at the Festival.

It has been a long time since I was in New Orleans, it was prior to Hurricane Katrina. I recognize some names of restaurants that are still there though that are posted on the link.

Free Zydeco dance lessons!!

There is a virtual page of performances! I could spend days on the link that you provided! Thanks : - )

How long does it take you to drive there from Houston?
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    AF today and yesterday- That makes 4 days this week

Wow! Good for you!
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 782 Member
    Well unplanned beer night. We have been talking about going Friday then last night DH comes in and I look at the meal prep set out and just said to myself....nah. and out the door we went. So it was sorta planned but just a different day!

So for laughs and giggles. I bought yesterday a wine making kit. I know this is a less alcohol thread. But I am and will always be fascinated by making my 'own stuff' so this is one more thing to try. I already make my own soap, makeup (all but mascara), wax clothes(food storage), laundry detergent, dish soap, and well the list is long. Some things I try and have kept up for year/decades others have gone by the wayside.
    So long story short DH's drink of choice while home is whiskey and coffee. Well as I was browsing the wine equipment the man helping me showed me the 'cookbook' that comes with the kit. They had a whiskey wine! So yep that is what sold me. Today I buy the organic corn, white grape juice and a few more grocery items. I am confident it will taste like crap about August and I will chuck it out LOL Thats how I roll
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    @lmlmrn Sounds like a fun project!

Long ago I read that people who are hands on with food prep- the planning, shopping, chopping, cooking, presentation- tend to feel satisfied with less actual eating vs. those who eat only. The hypothesis is the prep people get a lot of their satisfaction from all the handling in addition to the eating, whereas the eaters only have eating. This made sense to me (and probably why I remembered it). I am results oriented. There are lots of things I don't really like doing but do anyway because I like the result. And I am a results oriented cook, too. I like cooking but I think it's because I love eating. But I do enjoy all the creative aspects, and I think all that enjoyment allows me to stop when I tell myself I've had enough and feel satisfied with that.

Maybe this idea -- enjoyment from the creative aspects giving rise to more satisfaction with less intake-- would apply to wine making also?
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 782 Member
    @ahoy_m8 That is an interesting hypothesis, and like you I am results orientated and I have to be creative. I can't wait to see how this progresses. Plus I suspect it is not really going to taste very good LOL
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    I am confident it will taste like crap about August and I will chuck it out LOL Thats how I roll

Ok that is hilarious. Good luck, and of course share how it comes out!

I had no idea you were such a homesteader! Very impressive to make all your own products.
  • ahoy_m8
    @Womona Good on you for getting the Shingrix series. I felt the 2nd shot more than the first. Hope it's over fast!

@lmlmrn I'm impressed with your homesteading, too! One summer I became aware of shrubs. Intellectually, it sounds like the sort of thing I would LOVE. I saved all the scraps of all the fruits and experimented with different proportions. The refrigerator looked like a science experiment. Alas, in the end, I reluctantly had to conclude that I do not love shrubs. I think my breaking point is they require a lot of sugar for the chemical process and sweeteners don't achieve the same effect. In the end they just weren't worth the calories to me.

I have been enjoying my Lyres "vermouth" and "Compari," though. I think they have been in my refrigerator longer than the 6 week after opening "best by," so I am making more of an effort and find them really pleasant just with soda and a big piece of orange or grapefruit zest. The Monday gin was expensive and nice but too subtle. The zero proof tequila was super inventive but also expensive at $25 per bottle. I would be tempted to get that one again.

Happy Friday, all!
  • ahoy_m8
    Thank you do much for throwing that in the mix, @Sinisterbarbie1! Gonna check that out. Totally understand (and agree) about being interesting on it's own without trying to be what it's not.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited April 2022

How long does it take you to drive there from Houston?

Houston to New Orleans is about 5-6 hrs but we took an alternative route closer to the coast and bayous going over to view areas we've not been to in a very long time so the drive over was 7 hrs and then the return trip was 5 hrs. It was a fun weekend and we hope to go to French Quarter Fest again in the future.

My favorite food we ate was a cajun seafood eggroll at Cafe Dauphine that was delicious. We bought it on Friday. Saturday we went back to the booth but the line had about 80 people in it ... obviously popular. So we skipped and found other yummy things to eat Jack Dempsey's soft shell crab poboy, Koz's smoked redfish wonton and roast beef debris cheese fries, Jacques-Imo's shrimp & alligator sausage cheesecake (savory not sweet), Paella Nola's paella. Things I did not finish because they were just so so ... Patton's crawfish beignets and The Bower's crawfish bread pudding w/ ettoufee sauce.

Festival ends around 7pm each evening. We made reservations at one of our favorite restaurants Friday night Peche Seafood Grill and then slipped into Cochon Butcher Saturday night which are both in the Warehouse District. So tons of yummy food ... which did show up on the scale Monday morning. But the scale went back down whew!

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Womona wrote: »
    I had 2.5 glasses of wine last night. One was a big pour from wine night at work, and the other was the glass of wine my husband had waiting for me when I got home.

I slept terribly last night and have a big headache, but I honestly think it’s from my 2nd shingles shot yesterday. Its a different type of headache than a hangover headache. I was up all night feeling feverish so as you can imagine I am moving slowly today. Coffee definitely helps! But I’m going to take it easy.

The 2nd shingles shot was rough on me last year as well. But so glad to have it behind me! Congrats on taking care of yourself and getting the vaccine.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    My usual goal, 16-20AF days for the month. Diary style.
    I had 21AF days for March, but it was a longer month.
    My reason for drinking less is for weight loss.

Tuesday April 26 - 2 drinks. 3 was always my norm, but over this past year it has changed to 2. Less frequent days of drinks must equal less tolerance. I am always happy to see my 16, I expect to exceed that a bit for this month. Planned AF Wednesday and Thursday.
    Wednesday April 27 - AF - Planned drinks Friday before, during, and or after the theatre. Going to see "Tuesdays with Morrie".
    Thursday April 28 - AF - That was a tough one! I worked for hours and hours on getting my sugar snap pea garden going, and totally felt like drinks after. I had to do the 6 minute wait many many times. As usual, I post the next morning when I put my weight into the other forums. This morning, Kimberley BC (1/2 hour up the mountain from me) won BC's best small town : - ) @globalhiker will be there in 6 weeks : - )
    Planned drinks Friday, planned AF Saturday.

Rolling total: 18AF day out of 28 days
  • ahoy_m8
    Good on you for hanging tough, Dawn. Your tenacity is encouraging.