Diary - Nutrition - Macros count

tw98024
tw98024 Posts: 1 Member
Im looking at the Total vs Goal %
So the Total is the amount I have consumed for the day and the Goal is the amount Im supposed to stay within?
So if Total says 37% and Goal says 30% I have overconsumed?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Yes, but all that really counts for weightloss is calories, and not macros. If you eat more protein or fats, then that's not bad. You can also change the standard setup to other percentages. Wouldn't change anything at all, other that your numbers match up more. Hey, people doing keto eat high fat and higher protein. The standard setup won't work for them at all. Some other people thrive on carbs. So really, eat the way that makes you happy and your weightloss substainable, but try to get at least enough protein and fats into your diet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you have gone over on calories, you have over consumed.
    If you have gone over on one or more macros but within your calorie goal you have DIFFERENTLY consumed. Might be a good thing, a bad thing or just totally irrelevant.

Don’t let macro tracking become a burden. It’s a guideline and one you can personalise.

BTW - you can also look at your intake as a weekly view rather than daily.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,956 Member
    tw98024 wrote: »
    So the Total is the amount I have consumed for the day and the Goal is the amount Im supposed to stay within?

I'm wondering if you've figured out that you can see more data in grams (even in free MFP). Would that make things more clear to you?

On the phone/tablet app, it happens when you switch to landscape orientation, in your diary, or use the nutrients tab, day view, in Nutrition.

On the web, the "View Full Report" thing at the bottom of the food diary page will show something similar.

IMO, the percentages are pretty confusing, especially part way through the day. (It's not essential to be exact part way through the day, or even exactly exact each day - close is good, on average over a few days is OK, and as others have said, you can tweak the macros or other nutrient goals, anyway, to personalize in appropriate ways. I think good overall nutrition is important, but there are potentially personalization issues - and certainly some wiggle room - in how we define that. If weight loss/gain/maintenance is the key goal, calories are the key metric to manage.)

Personally, I think of protein and fat goals (which I've personalized, BTW) as minimums, OK (even good) to go over, then I use carbs to balance, because I don't care how many carbs I do/don't eat. (Some people do.) OK, occasionally alcohol is part of the balance factor, too, for me - it's not protein, carbs, or fat. If I get my protein/fat minimums, plus plenty of veggies/fruits, and still have calories, treats (possibly some alcohol) are options, IMO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Your total in grams is what you want to hit. Those %s goals translate to your grams...but you don't want to look at the pie chart until the end of the day when you're done eating because it's only giving you your diet as a % of macros at that specific point in time. For example, If I eat a chicken breast for breakfast and that's all I've eaten and I go look at my pie chart it will tell me protein 100%...as in 100% of my diet thus far for the day has been protein from the chicken. It's just snap shot in time.

If you're looking at macros, just look at your gram targets.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your total in grams is what you want to hit. Those %s goals translate to your grams...but you don't want to look at the pie chart until the end of the day when you're done eating because it's only giving you your diet as a % of macros at that specific point in time. For example, If I eat a chicken breast for breakfast and that's all I've eaten and I go look at my pie chart it will tell me protein 100%...as in 100% of my diet thus far for the day has been protein from the chicken. It's just snap shot in time.

If you're looking at macros, just look at your gram targets.

This^^