Shape Shifters Team Chat - APRIL 2022

Replies

• cre804
    cre804 Posts: 345 Member
    Cre804
    Friday
    PW 195.0
    CW 196.0

We were out of town for the weekend and ate way too much. Still nursing a sore foot but it’s more tolerable. But now my knee is giving me fits. Hopefully next week will be better.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,075 Member
    Hi guys...how was your Friday? I got up extra early hoping to walk, but have had a really tough day with my plantar fasciitis today...it's been a long time since I've had such a rough day. I've been breaking in a new pair of shoes so maybe that's part of it. And I just finished my 42 mile goal this week and have been walking 7 days a week. I'm thinking I may need to cut back some and at least rest one day a week. I just hate to break my daily step goal. I've been doing so well. Such is life...had wanted to try for 44 miles in May, but not sure that's wise. Will have to think on it for a bit.

Tomorrow I have some errands to run but not a lot scheduled. Need to finish work on the next Group Challenge. Anyone have any suggestions or requests for this next one? Let me know! I'd love your input.

Well, I'm about to shut down for the night. I ended up working overtime today and didn't take a lunch, so I'm pretty wiped out. Hope everyone has a terrific weekend! Walkers, check the chart and report in please. MANY missed weigh ins this week...PLEASE report in...would be great if the chart was filled for the MODS so they don't have to research or mark lots of NWIs/LWIs...

Talk to you tomorrow!
    Jessica :smile:
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited April 2022
    @jessicakrall8 - I can’t imagine thinking up challenges every week. I’m sure it’s difficult to keep generating fresh ideas.

For this week, maybe a crowdsourcing challenge could give you a break. For example, each day, any participant can call out a simple challenge and the other participants can reply if they’ve done it. You can start off, if you want, and feel free to select me as the person to start things off for the next day, and I’ll call on someone to start us off the following day, etc. I’m thinking of things like this:

-Take a break from your desk and do 10 push-ups, either on the floor or against the wall
    -Rearrange your refrigerator (or pantry) so the healthiest items are in front and the less healthy items are stored in harder to reach areas.
    -Say something nice to someone today. Tell us about the experience.
    -Share an inspirational quote that keeps you going on a bad day.
    -Recruit someone else from your F2F group to join this week’s challenge.
    -What is something you’d like to celebrate today? Let’s celebrate together!

I’m sure others will have better ideas than I’ve listed — but that’s the idea!!
  • KHill875
    KHill875 Posts: 156 Member
    KHill875
    Friday weigh in
    PW: 140.8
    CW: 140.6

I have been going an awful job of remembering to post my weight on Fridays. I am so sorry!
  • Marni3369
    Marni3369 Posts: 54 Member
    Marni3369

PW: 224.6
    CW: 223.4

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,542 Member
    Pupowl
    Saturday weigh in
    PW: 214
    CW: 214

Steps, pardon the list. Please add me again to the step challenge for May with 12.000 steps, thank you!
    23 April ~ 17.276
    24 April ~ 15.358
    25 April ~ 14.766
    26 April ~ 14.296
    27 April ~ 13.735
    28 April ~ 15.581
    29 April ~ 15.166

I am sorry for still being so quiet in the group. I feel pretty negative about everything and I don't want to be the type of person who only complains all the time. I think it is important for me to try to post daily though and engage more with the group. Sometimes that is just hard to do when you feel so down. I will do my best to start this again in May.
    I tell myself every day, several times a day "I will do better tomorrow, I will eat healthy food, no more cookies and cheese!", and almost every day I somehow end up in the grocery store buying the things I don't want to eat. I am beyond frustrated and angry with myself. I understand we all slip up sometimes, but I have been in a constant slip up for 3 months now and I am sick of it. It is like all my self control disappeared. I am desperately trying to find it.
    My dentist appointments are all done thankfully so that source of stress is gone. I have been working in the garden a bit to tidy things up. Yesterday I put some stuff outside my house for free to get rid of some things (all good stuff). Half of it has been taken, I hope some more will go today. I usually feel like cleaning or tidying up when some parts of my life are out of control. At least this is something I can fix so it makes me feel a bit better. Okay, that was my rant for the day.

Welcome to all the new members of the group, I hope you will find this a nice place to hang out and good luck with your goals!
    Happy Saturday everyone <3
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 905 Member
    Izzyred9400
    Sat
    PW 135
    CW 133.8
    Had no phone for a couple of days as I smashed the screen.It was my own stupid fault,I was trying to photograph my gas & electric meters & put it down on the floor.I stepped back & heard a crunch 😔
    Luckily I was nearly at the end of my contract so I got a new phone.
    Have a great weekend,it's Bank Holiday here & the sun is out.Very unusual.Have a great Saturday everyone.
    @jessicakrall8 hope your foot gets better soon & you can resume your walking.
    @Pupowl nice to hear from you.You can rant as much as you want.Sorry you've been feeling down,don't be a stranger we are all here to support you.
    @PatriceFitnessPal great idea I would contribute.I agree it is difficult for @jessicakrall8 to think of new challenges every week.I get stuck eating the same foods every week.It gets a bit monotonous.Maybe give different ideas for healthy meals ?
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 524 Member
    CasandraW
    Saturday weigh in
    PW 235
    CW 235.5

My weight was all over the place this week, glad to see it close to last week. My food choices have been good and my exercise was ok, a little less than usual.

• jazzadesigns
    jazzadesigns Posts: 477 Member
    @jessicakrall8 I would like to temporarily leave the group. I tried to find a way to privately message someone but couldn’t. I am going through an extremely stressful time at work and dealing with some health problems. So I’ve basically been in maintenance mode and am not sure how long it will be before I can really get back on track. I don’t want to bring the team down with my gains. So if I need to permanently leave the group please let me know. Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement and support here!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,013 Member
    edited April 2022
    The May team chat thread is open! Please go and post a new introduction for a new month, and name some of your goals, commitments, and hopes for May:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10863345/shape-shifters-team-chat-may-2022/p1?new=1
  • jessicakrall8
    edited April 2022
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Pupowl

I am sorry for still being so quiet in the group. I feel pretty negative about everything and I don't want to be the type of person who only complains all the time.

@pupowl You know this group would never take it that way. We have to share both the positive and especially the negative because those are things that can destroy our progress. Those are also the best opportunities for growth, so let us know when you're down and why. Everyone is here to support you on the good days and the bad, so don't rob US of an opportunity to share and grow with you. THAT'S WHY WE'RE ALL HERE...one big, sometimes miserable, but mostly happy family!

I think it is important for me to try to post daily though and engage more with the group. Sometimes that is just hard to do when you feel so down. I will do my best to start this again in May.

I think you're right and many do I miss your posts...was always the highlight of my day to read them.
    That will NOT change when you express frustration, loss or even anger. I curse at my scale or my stupid plantar fasciitis at least once a day!

I tell myself every day, several times a day "I will do better tomorrow, I will eat healthy food, no more cookies and cheese!", and almost every day I somehow end up in the grocery store buying the things I don't want to eat.

Telling yourself not to buy things that you enjoy isn't reasonable. It's downright cruel, so what I've started doing is to challenge myself to earn whatever it is. For example, I love cookies with pecans in them. I buy a package and fill up my cookie jar. My rule is to try and not have more than 1 or 2 a day.
    If I have 2 in a day, I skip the next day. Also, when I want a cookie, I earn it...take a 20 minute walk, do something active and then sit down with my favorite drink and enjoy that cookie. It's my time to unwind and enjoy my reward. Why don't you try that this week? Set your own limits that work for you, but even if it's just a mental thing, nearly 90% of our journey is a mental battle anyway! Hope it helps.

I am beyond frustrated and angry with myself.

We've all been there...wait until you read my next post of a discovery I made this week and how stupid your favorite Captain was ... SMH (shaking my head)...I think it will give you a giggle.

Welcome to all the new members of the group, I hope you will find this a nice place to hang out and good luck with your goals! Happy Saturday everyone <3

And for all the newbies out there...just wait until you start enjoying Pupowl's AMAZING photography skills and her delightful posts. She has a way with capturing moments on camera that make you feel like you stumbled on a moment you weren't supposed to see...it really is quite remarkable. And her way with description/wording makes you feel like you're right there for whatever adventure she's on. I just love her posts!

Love you @pupowl and can't wait to hear you fuss a little...then I won't feel so bad for doing it on occasion myself!
    Jessica :blush:
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited April 2022
    @jazzadesigns - I apologize for chiming in when your message is directed to @jessicakrall8 but I just want to encourage you to stay connected, even if you move to the ‘support’ group. For me, it’s more important to support fellow Shape Shifters than win the highest amount of weight lost monthly. As your situation demonstrates, sometimes maintaining is winning. We’re working to build lifelong habits that serve us during both difficult and easier phases. In fact, it likely helps manage stress to eat well and exercise/move within the parameters of our doctors’ guidance.

It certainly might ease your stress if you don’t need to worry about weekly weigh ins, so I’m not trying to change your decision. I just want to convey that you are not letting us down if you are doing your best. I hope things feel easier for you soon!
  • jessicakrall8
    Now my opportunity to give you a giggle. I hope after you read this and recover from falling over in a laughter fit, you'll be reminded that we're all human and even when we think we're above it all, we're just a fallible as anyone else.

The issue with my feet really hit a peak this week. I've had this problem with plantar fasciitis for a long time...years. But I've learned what works for me and over the past year in particular, I've worked up to doing LOTS of walking and still not dealing with too much pain. That changed on Wed/Thursday of this week and I thought my walking days were just over (because when something goes wrong, don't we all jump on the woe-is-me train and imagine the worse?! I only wear certain shoes with built in arch supports, made especially for people with foot problems. In the evenings and around the house, especially in warmer weather, this means flip flops (with arches). I've had a pair of them that have lasted for two years, but it was time to replace them, so I waited until they had a sale and ordered them. Wed night, I started walking with the new ones and since I worked from home on Thur, I wore them all day...walking like crazy like I always do. By Thur night, I was in such pain, all night long when getting up to feed the cat, do stuff in the house, go to the restroom, etc. I could barely function. Let's just say on Friday morning going to work (wearing Vionic tennis shoes with extra padding in the heel), I was nearly in tears and tylenol was my best friend that day. By mid-afternoon things started feeling better and by evening my neighbor and friend called me to check on how I was feeling and I was like, "great, where are we going?!" I love Niyah...she's such a sweetheart and we're always ready for the next adventure.

This morning, it dawns on me...these shoes are just like Birkenstocks, you have to break them in slowly and this girl, Queen Jessica, forgot all about that...after all, she's had a pair for two years...break in/schmake in...let's just go! DUH!!!!!! OK, feel free to giggle...in any case, I feel much better today and have those well padded tennis shoes on again...they feel like their hugging my poor feet! Lesson learned...don't think you're above it all, Jessica...remember to follow the rules so you don't derail your own progress! Sometimes I'm so stupid already! LOL

OK, heading to the store now...hoping that by not doing too much today, my foot's "anger" will diminish because tomorrow my 44 mile goal for May begins. Who's with me?! :smiley:
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    @jessicakrall8 I would like to temporarily leave the group. I tried to find a way to privately message someone but couldn’t. I am going through an extremely stressful time at work and dealing with some health problems. So I’ve basically been in maintenance mode and am not sure how long it will be before I can really get back on track. I don’t want to bring the team down with my gains. So if I need to permanently leave the group please let me know. Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement and support here!

@jazzadesigns Please stick around, share and work on your issues with us and not by yourself, at least by reading and posting on occasion. I'll have the mods move you to the support team for a while. We hope to see you back soon. If you need us, we're just a post away!! **BIG HUGS** Health issues are not fun to deal with...been there, done that many times. Hope to hear regular updates from you when you can so we'll all know you're alright. Hope things get better quickly...take care!
    Jessica
  • jazzadesigns
    jazzadesigns Posts: 477 Member
    @jessicakrall8 and @PatriceFitnessPal thank you so much!!! I’m hoping to get back once things calm down at work.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited April 2022
    @jessicakrall8 - I’m so glad you solved the mystery of why your feet hurt so much. It doesn’t sound as though you were “stupid” at all! In fact, it was the opposite — you reflected on what had changed and cracked the code for the Birkenstock ‘break in’ mystery. That was impressive sleuth work, detective/ captain! 🧐

@Pupowl - I’m reading a book about making tiny changes that help build positive habits, which eventually add up to the results we seek.

The book points out that motivation is overrated and shows how setting up our environment for success often matters more. I find that ‘will power’ is unsustainable. @jessicakrall8 said everything perfectly in her post above, and gave some great suggestions for working the things that give you pleasure into your plan.

I’ve had some very long stretches without any loss, so your frustration resonates with me. The book has a good quote for helping us reframe the waiting process: “Walk slowly, but never backward” (James Clear, Atomic Habits). We’re all in this together, using trial and error to figure out what works for each individual. Best wishes for the coming week!
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 214 Member
    Bearchested
    Friday
    CW: 195.6
    PW: 195.4
    LTD: 11.4

Thought I posted yesterday but apparently I forgot to finish.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,542 Member
    @izzyred9400
    Thanks for the support!
    @jessicakrall8
    I appreciate your lengthy reply to my post. And it is great to read how much you enjoyed my posts and pictures. I haven't been outside much recently, but my mom is coming next week and we will probably go walk twice. So I should have some pictures to share again soon. I remember how painful it can be to walk in new shoes! My hiking shoes took almost two weeks of 30-40 minute daily walks before they got comfortable. I am glad I didn't give up on them though, because they are great.
    @PatriceFitnessPal @jessicakrall8
    My main frustration is because I have ruined a lot of progress I had made. I have gained about 9 kilos since the start of the year, which is not a small amount. I would normally agree that cutting things you enjoy entirely out of your diet is bad, but sometimes it is still the better option. I currently cannot manage to limit myself when it comes to food. If I go and buy a package with cookies, I will eat the entire thing that same day. This goes for cheese as well; the whole 200 grams will be gone in that same day. Not only does this mean a crazy amount of calories, it is also expensive & unhealthy. I have perfectly fine food at home, but when I feel depressed (which is 24/7 lately) I want to eat junk. And the only person stopping me from going to the store to buy junk is me. So no, you can't power through your whole weight loss journey on will power alone, but you do need some of it!
    What is also pissing me off is that I have previously done very well with food. I know this is not for most people, but I tend to do best when I don't have to think about food at all. I don't actually enjoy eating all that much. I have mealshakes and mealbars with all the needed vitamins and nutrients so I don't have to worry about a thing. They are also very filling and I am not hungry when I use those products. I want to get back to that place again. I am trying now to focus on snacking on fruit instead (which I enjoy more than cookies/chocolate/etc anyway).
    Anyway, thanks for thinking with me. I just don't really see a simple solution. I guess I will keep trying and I hope posting here will help me be more accountable. In the end this is all on me. Nobody can do it for me. I also live alone so I don't really have any support which is very hard sometimes.
  • jessicakrall8
    Pupowl wrote: »
    In the end this is all on me. Nobody can do it for me. I also live alone so I don't really have any support which is very hard sometimes.

As they say @Pupowl "Plan your work and work your plan!" Sounds like you know exactly what you need to do. We're here to stand with and support you as you slay it! YOU GOT THIS!
    Jessica
This discussion has been closed.