What's On Your Mind Today?

Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group for help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    does someone know how to respond to personal messages on iphone app? I can’t seem to find it. normally i use the web version as i prefer a large screen.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    @LazyBlondeChef , sorry, I do not have an iphone. I can't help.
  • @LazyBlondeChef it’s “more” and then “messages”
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,778 Member
    It sounds like you have some great insights going on @KCJen I am excited for you to take this leap of faith to change your life. Hope that for May you can hang with us and post daily. I think your journey teaches a lot of us. Thank you for sharing!
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you - you are always helpful to me when you post, I am glad I could return the favor :)

@SummerSkier Thank you - you said something in the introductions post that clicked with me about being normal. I think that I just need to be "normal" and just track and exercise and not be in "diet mode". Just be in "life" - life happens and I just need to track it. Ha! That made me giggle, I should have gone into marketing lol.
  • KCJen
    Yesterday I spent most of the day reading up on calories again. I thought I had a semi-solid understanding of calories, but within a matter of moments, I quickly got turned around in my thinking and was confused. Calories can be very elusive to me at times.

So I wanted to just post what I am trying to do and get others' opinions that are successful calorie counters to reassure myself I am doing it correctly and starting off on the right path.

I understand that the BMR is what my body needs to just keep me alive basically. I think of this number as my baseline calorie amount if I was on bed rest. However, as a person trying to lose weight, this number also represents to me the "control group" and this number is the amount of calories I need to maintain my current weight. So this is the number that I use to compare against my food calories to make sure I have created a calorie deficit. I have it set up in my spreadsheet as this: Calories in (Food) minus Calories Out (Exercise) equals Net Calories then I compare this to my BMR and subtract the two and want to see hopefully a 500 calorie difference or close to it.

So instead of starting to lose weight again on a 1200-calorie diet - which is what I did in the past - I found my healthy weight range from the MFP BMI index. Decided on a goal weight of 145 and then plugged the goal weight of 145 into the BMR index to find my baseline calories, which is 1,289. The MFP group for Fitbit has a great post about setting up my Fitbit with MFP and they suggested taking the BMR number and multiplying it by 1.25 to get my calorie burn goal for my Fitbit. So the BMR calories from the goal weight of 1,289 multiplied by 1.25 equals 1,611 calories as my maintenance calories at my goal weight - or so I am hopefully thinking.

I have plugged in the 1611 number (which is a lovely coincidence 🌷) as my daily calorie goal. This is my maintenance calories at my goal weight, which I am now going to use to learn to eat normal & regular foods within range. 1200 calorie daily diet was the same exact thing daily in the past. I plan as I build back up to my 3-miles a day goal on my treadmill, that I will have a net calorie goal at 1,200, so I might need to eat back a few exercise calories. But for now, 1611 is a lot of calories and I am already mentally struggling with that number. My mind wants a much lower daily calorie number. But I need to learn to be in maintenance, not restrictive diet mode. I think 1611 is something that will be sustainable for life and turn into a healthy lifestyle.

I want to try this method out because I read an article that was conducted on two groups of people - one on a regular 1200-calorie diet and the other group was taught to start with maintenance calories. The article said the maintenance group was more successful in the long run.

So I would like to hear everyone's thoughts, especially those in maintenance if I have set this up correctly, or if I need to make more adjustments.

Thanks!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,958 Member
    @KCJen How tall are you?
  • KCJen
    @KCJen How tall are you?

5'6
  • KCJen
    edited May 2022
  • KCJen