What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Back from my trip yesterday, so back to my Elliptical routine today. 228 minutes for 16 miles. Was thinking after first session I would get another one in later tonight for 10 miles more but I didn't. Have to be good enough after 6 days off with just walking for exercise.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    75 minute trail run this morning.

Tomorrow's forecast is for perfect weather. Looks like a fairly large group will gather for a 50 mile ride.
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    Three hours yard work.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Back to stationary bike, same old: Easy pace, mid Z3 and below at 94W average including CD.

Didn't work out yesterday, no good reason . . . apathy? Ennui? 🤷‍♀️
  • swimmom_1
    Elliptical 240 minutes for 16.36 miles this AM & riding mower for 1:50 late afternoon.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    edited May 2022
    Did @RaquelFit2 's workout of yardwork today. 😀

I only intended to do a little bit of weeding, but it ended up being an all day shrub pruning extravaganza. I also pulled out a vine that had taken over a place it shouldn't be. It put up a good fight, but I showed it who's boss. ;)
    (It my have the last laugh, however as my arms will likely be sore tomorrow from the effort.)

Happy Spring!
  • shazmorgan
    shazmorgan Posts: 34 Member
    Lovely relaxing 20km bike ride this morning, followed by an hour of yoga.
    The bike riding I'm very new to. Does anyone have any tips for tingling hands and aching wrists? I'd like to ride more frequently, but I need to find a fix for the aching wrists. My bike was purchased from a bike store, where I was properly fitted to the right size frame for my height and leg length. So the aching is obviously something I'm doing wrong. :)
  • RaquelFit2
    dralicephd wrote: »
    Did @RaquelFit2 's workout of yardwork today. 😀

I only intended to do a little bit of weeding, but it ended up being an all day shrub pruning extravaganza. I also pulled out a vine that had taken over a place it shouldn't be. It put up a good fight, but I showed it who's boss. ;)
    (It my have the last laugh, however as my arms will likely be sore tomorrow from the effort.)

Happy Spring!

LOL!

I swear the garden is my personal trainer. Every time I feel I'm done something catches my eye and says nope "keep going."

Glad you won the vine fight!
  • Djproulx
    Five of us got together to ride on a perfect weather day. We rode a 47 mile route that wasn't too hilly, so it was all fun. Ave pace was 16.2mph, not counting the stop for coffee and muffin at mile 40.
  • RaquelFit2
    Yardwork day for me. I typically row for an hour on Sunday (and lift) but we have an area of the backyard that was still a bit of an eyesore. When I had the landscapers quote the rest of the work, they said basically it was too labor intensive to be cost efficient.

We have lot that's around 3 to 4 feet below grade from our neighbors. So there's around 60 feet of rocks on a six or seven foot slope, from rip rap to smaller rocks. All granite, so heavy stuff. We took a section of that and took off all the rocks, cleaned it up of debris and planted like 15 lovely flowering desert plants. It's the shadiest area of our yard, so it's a lovely area for a nice rock garden. Got it all done except replacing a lot of the rocks and trimming up my Meyer Lemon Tree. Even lying in a pile in the gravel off to the side, the rocks (without the trash rocks and concrete left by the builders) look fantastic. Just have to place them back in among the plants to complete the rock garden.

I'm going to try to finish it up tomorrow night. Already looks 100% better. Took four hours of moving rocks, picking in rocky soil and leaning over cleaning up debris and rocks that were like waste rocks. I can barely move. I'm beat.

I bet!

Did about three hours in the garden today. We're still clearing the area for the shed. It really didn't seem to be a big job but apparently it is.
  • tgabrielson7450
    tgabrielson7450 Posts: 1 Member
    Fitness Blender video w/Tasha. One-handed dumbell upper body with core finisher! Short but intense!
  • swimmom_1
    Elliptical 2 sessions, 300 minutes for 22.3 miles, finished later in the day, 54 minutes for 4.2 miles. So 26.5 mile total.
  • dralicephd
    shazmorgan wrote: »
    The bike riding I'm very new to. Does anyone have any tips for tingling hands and aching wrists? I'd like to ride more frequently, but I need to find a fix for the aching wrists. My bike was purchased from a bike store, where I was properly fitted to the right size frame for my height and leg length. So the aching is obviously something I'm doing wrong. :)

Ok, it's been a loooong time since I've done any serious biking, but I think this has to do with your position on the bike, more than the fit. If you are leaning in a lot of your weight in your hands and wrists, they are going to feel it. You can adjust your handlebar height and/or seat height to alleviate some of that. Alternatively, go on shorter rides until your body adjusts. OR some combination of both?

Someone with more knowledge on biking might be able to answer a little better. I tried. I hope it gets better!
  • shazmorgan
    shazmorgan Posts: 34 Member
    dralicephd wrote: »
    shazmorgan wrote: »

Ok, it's been a loooong time since I've done any serious biking, but I think this has to do with your position on the bike, more than the fit. If you are leaning in a lot of your weight in your hands and wrists, they are going to feel it. You can adjust your handlebar height and/or seat height to alleviate some of that. Alternatively, go on shorter rides until your body adjusts. OR some combination of both?

Someone with more knowledge on biking might be able to answer a little better. I tried. I hope it gets better!

Thanks for responding! :)
    Up until last week I was getting really sore knees after riding. A friend suggested to raise my seat, so that the toes were only just touching the ground when stationary. This made a HUGE difference to my knees.
    As for your observation of the weight being now more in my hands. Thankyou! I can't believe I didn't think that one through. heheheh Will definitely give the handlebar adjustment a go. :)
  • Djproulx
    Group ride yesterday. 48miles in sunny weather and (finally) light breeze.

Rest day today.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2022
    Djproulx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Rest Day today...

I'm starting Hal Higdon triathlon 1 next Monday (modified). I did it years ago training for a sprint. This time around I'm not actually training for a race, just fitness. I had to modify it a bit because I can't follow his plan as structured due to certain days being more suitable to do X vs Y due to my work schedule and other goings on. I also haven't run in years so I'll be using a C25K app for that. I'm also not putting as much of an emphasis on the run as he does in his true program, but depending on how it goes I might alternate weeks between a heavier run load or bike load...but I prefer cycling.

Saturdays and Sundays I can swap but I wanted to make sure I have one day for just active recreation like MTB or kayaking or hiking or whatever. I will be continuing with my Oly lifting for my strength sessions.

33zren9awt4m.png

That looks like a fun plan! If I'm reading it correctly, its two bike/strength days and one weekend Bike/MTB day that is for "fun". Is the Higdon plan an 8 week plan? I assume so based on the table.

After 8 weeks of that plan, you may get the itch to measure your increased fitness in a race. If a race is an unstated goal, I'd be curious to know if you have a swim background. If you do, you're set! If not, you might feel the need for a second swim weekly.

In any case, glad to see another person training in the multi-sport discipline.

His Triathlon 1 is an 8 week plan but it progresses week to week for longer runs and rides. He also mixes it up where some weeks will have more swim or more bike or more run. He always has strength on a swim or bike day, never a run day. His Tri I plan is really geared more towards total fitness with the ability to finish a sprint triathlon rather than being competitive...really designed to get you into good shape without necessarily having competitive goals.

As part of my modification I'm keeping run times in particular at 30 minutes for the whole 8 weeks. I'm in decent cycling shape, but I've not done any running in about 8 years so I'm using a C25K app to start me off with the running portion. My plan right now is to run it very basically to get back into better shape and then possibly run it again as designed once I can actually run a 5K again and then I can work on being able to put together 45 and 60 minute runs. He also has a 16 week plan that incorporates both his Tri I and Tri II programs called Triathlon Supreme...Tri II also incorporates "brick work" which I'm nowhere near ready for fitness wise. At this point, being able to run for 30 minutes straight without stopping to walk will be an accomplishment and then I can go from there.

I ran Tri I as designed years ago when I was training for a sprint event with my mom. At that time I had primarily been running for my cardiovascular exercise so cycling and swimming were the main points I needed to work on. It's actually how I came to be a cycling enthusiast. I never ended up participating in the event due to an injury about a week or so before and it's always something that's kind of bothered me so I'd like to work my way back up to doing one. I don't have a whole lot of interest in an Olympic Tri, but I know quite a few people in my fitness circle who have a lot of fun with sprint tris.

We'll see how it goes...if my running comes along faster than I expect and I'm doing well by early June, I may rewind and jump into doing the program as designed as there is a sprint tri that would work for me on August 7.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/more-training/triathlon-1/

One thing I don't really want to give up is my one "fun" day...but I figure as long as I'm being active it shouldn't be a big deal to not be 100% on plan as long as I'm getting in the prescribed run and swim time. Biking 12.4 miles is no biggie at all for me.
  • Djproulx
    His Triathlon 1 is an 8 week plan but it progresses week to week for longer runs and rides. He also mixes it up where some weeks will have more swim or more bike or more run. He always has strength on a swim or bike day, never a run day. His Tri I plan is really geared more towards total fitness with the ability to finish a sprint triathlon rather than being competitive...really designed to get you into good shape without necessarily having competitive goals.

As part of my modification I'm keeping run times in particular at 30 minutes for the whole 8 weeks. I'm in decent cycling shape, but I've not done any running in about 8 years so I'm using a C25K app to start me off with the running portion. My plan right now is to run it very basically to get back into better shape and then possibly run it again as designed once I can actually run a 5K again and then I can work on being able to put together 45 and 60 minute runs. He also has a 16 week plan that incorporates both his Tri I and Tri II programs called Triathlon Supreme...Tri II also incorporates "brick work" which I'm nowhere near ready for fitness wise. At this point, being able to run for 30 minutes straight without stopping to walk will be an accomplishment and then I can go from there.

I ran Tri I as designed years ago when I was training for a sprint event with my mom. At that time I had primarily been running for my cardiovascular exercise so cycling and swimming were the main points I needed to work on. It's actually how I came to be a cycling enthusiast. I never ended up participating in the event due to an injury about a week or so before and it's always something that's kind of bothered me so I'd like to work my way back up to doing one. I don't have a whole lot of interest in an Olympic Tri, but I know quite a few people in my fitness circle who have a lot of fun with sprint tris.

We'll see how it goes...if my running comes along faster than I expect and I'm doing well by early June, I may rewind and jump into doing the program as designed as there is a sprint tri that would work for me on August 7.

One thing I don't really want to give up is my one "fun" day...but I figure as long as I'm being active it shouldn't be a big deal to not be 100% on plan as long as I'm getting in the prescribed run and swim time. Biking 12.4 miles is no biggie at all for me.

This is good stuff! Regarding my first bolded comment: If you follow that plan the way you have laid it out, and complete 80-90% of your planned workouts, you will certainly accomplish your goal of being in good cardio shape - and IMO, able to complete a sprint distance tri.

Regarding the second bolded comment: August 7th is 13 weeks away. Given your bike fitness and C25K work already, that's plenty of time for a very solid build effort. The goal of a first Sprint tri is to finish the race with a smile on your face! Your fitness should be great by then.
    You're not worried about pushing so hard to position yourself for a podium spot at your first race, so I see no downside to thinking about the August 7th event.

Finally, regarding last bolded comment. No worries at all about a free day. You will have plenty of fitness with the current plan. The rest/recovery/fun day is a very important part of every plan, both for physical and mental recovery.

Hope you enjoy the training.
  • dralicephd
    45 min. elliptical. with the majority in Zone 2. The cool thing is that my pace has increased, but my heart rate is on the low side compared to about a month ago. Fitness!!

This was followed by my "don't hurt the joints" mini strength training routine: crunches, bridges, chair pose, biceps and triceps curls, "shoulder raises" (something the PT showed me -no idea what they are called - haha). I was able to increase weight on the last three. So far the shoulder is behaving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »

This is good stuff! Regarding my first bolded comment: If you follow that plan the way you have laid it out, and complete 80-90% of your planned workouts, you will certainly accomplish your goal of being in good cardio shape - and IMO, able to complete a sprint distance tri.

Regarding the second bolded comment: August 7th is 13 weeks away. Given your bike fitness and C25K work already, that's plenty of time for a very solid build effort. The goal of a first Sprint tri is to finish the race with a smile on your face! Your fitness should be great by then.
    You're not worried about pushing so hard to position yourself for a podium spot at your first race, so I see no downside to thinking about the August 7th event.

Finally, regarding last bolded comment. No worries at all about a free day. You will have plenty of fitness with the current plan. The rest/recovery/fun day is a very important part of every plan, both for physical and mental recovery.

Hope you enjoy the training.

Signed up for August 7. I adjusted my training schedule...the first 6 weeks or so will be pretty basic and mostly working on building a running base and then I'm running his program as designed, more or less...I'm somewhat restricted on what days I can do what so I had to jumble some things around, but I have all the work he has in there for each week. I did fiddle with the last week a bit for more rest.

hd2yvc756y0v.png