Tea thread

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    This reminds me...my brother is now the executive chef at a hotel that has fancy-pants "Afternoon Tea".

Maybe he'll give me a break on the $70 cost....I mean, you DO get fancy little sandwiches and tea cakes and macarons and things with your tea.

You know, the whole idea of this sounds absolutely not attractive to me. Just sitting somewhere to eat snacky food and white toast with edges trimmed... do me a proper good cheese sandwich with good, artisan bread. behind my computer. Yes, I know I'm strange.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    edited April 2022

@88AViva I'm interested that you prefer greens and blacks, and yet you drink white? I would think a delicate white would taste like nothing compared to your usual preferences. I know I have a hard time switching to white.

Oh it's like when you choose to buy something more expensive because you don't have that at home, and you were feeling extra fancy and foolish that day 😁 and sometimes you have a collector's mentality.
    It doesn't do it for you but you will still drink it since you bought it already 😸
    On the other hand, the flowers you add in with it aren't overpowered (like it sometimes is with the black teas) so you can really smell the roses.

Also white teas always come in pretty wooden boxes. Maybe I bought it for the box 🤷
  • 88AViva
    yirara wrote: »
    You know, the whole idea of this sounds absolutely not attractive to me. Just sitting somewhere to eat snacky food and white toast with edges trimmed... do me a proper good cheese sandwich with good, artisan bread. behind my computer. Yes, I know I'm strange.

Sameee. Snacky snacks and tea, computer and maybe a Shisha (hookah). I don't mind any bread, just not with those seeds in it, hate those multigrain things.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    This reminds me...my brother is now the executive chef at a hotel that has fancy-pants "Afternoon Tea".

Maybe he'll give me a break on the $70 cost....I mean, you DO get fancy little sandwiches and tea cakes and macarons and things with your tea.

It's honestly more about the experience/atmosphere than the actual tea and food.
    It's in an ornate, historic room with harpists playing in the background. People dress up.
    It's not something I'd do on a regular basis, but kind of fun for a special event.

And where else are you going to get choux buns shaped like swans?
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,988 Member
    I love chai tea and lemon loaf or honey vanilla chamomile tea. I love to put a splash of sweet cream creamer in my tea, so good
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I'm also a fan of earl gray.

But anyway...

Now that we have some tea lovers, and even a self-designated tea snob...

My daughter would like to put 2 tea bags in the coffee pot in place of a kcup, and make it like coffee.

I'm appalled and disgusted. I've nixed the idea, and she says I'm being ridiculous.

Am I overreacting?

I would go for sad rather than appalled. Is your daughter a child/teen, so that it would be appropriate for you to lovingly explain that this is pointless and wasteful (using two tea bags to get a single weak cup of tea). She could use the kcup device to heat the water and just put a single tea bag in the cup, then let it steep for an appropriate time (personally, I go for a full five minutes for black tea).

If she's an adult, you've probably lost your window of opportunity to teach her basic life skills, unless she asks. Still, if it's your kcup device she want to do this with, I think you can still put your foot down, as it seems like the little "tooth" that pierces the kcup could pierce the tea bags, and then you'll have an unpleasant mess of tiny bits of chopped tea leaves to try to clean out of the crevices of the device.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I like pretty much all kinds of tea. Like all babies are cute, all teas are good?

Favorites include earl grey, irish breakfast, and chai. Usually black and unsweetened, but when I'm feeling under the weather I might add a splash of milk and a bit of sugar -- takes me back to my childhood when I got tea and toast when I was sick.

I enjoy green, white, and oolong.

For herbal blends, I like ones that include naturally sweet flavors, like mint, cinnamon, ginger, and licorice.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Cluelessmama1979 Posts: 129 Member
    @lynn_glenmont oh, she's just doing it to shock/offend me. It happened already. Pics are on her phone though, so I'll have her send them so i can upload tomorrow. Share the horror with yall.

@SuzySunshine99 i don't know if even choux buns shaped like swans could convince me to undergo such a big social experience, but I do understand the appeal! And it's fun to live vicariously lol
  • AZAlyssa
    AZAlyssa Posts: 22 Member
    They're obnoxious and I barely consider them tea, but Red Rose has a line of stevia-sweetened herbal dessert teas that are sometimes exactly what I need to quit eating. The blueberry muffin and lemon cake are good.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I love all different kinds of tea, I make herbal iced tea to drink in place of water every day. I also love my morning coffee then switch over. I grow herbs and have added some new ones to try in tea, I have a bunch of different mints, lemon balm, lemon verbena, chamomile, then toss my evening primrose and borage flowers in them as well. Love spicy teas like chai and have been drinking a lot of tumeric ginger tea lately. My favorites for iced tea are usually fruity or spicy. I also brew kombucha with Sweet and Spicy tea or Chai tea.
  • 88AViva
    @Katmary71 Ooh awesome. I used to think kombucha was gross and then I started liking it and making it on my own before I got too busy for it.

Anyone ever make a Strong black Chai with peppermint leaves? My mum thinks it's weird to have peppermint black tea with milk but I think it's delicious.
  • nx9j4zk5eh
    nx9j4zk5eh Posts: 9 Member
    Tetley’s Lemon Balm and Honey tea (1 bag) in a tumbler of ice water and 1 splenda packet. Let steep 5-10 minutes before drinking. Can’t get enough of it!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    I like a variety of different teas, mostly black teas but some herbal I fusions. I like the Twinings brand English ot Irish breakfast, Earl Grey, or Lady Grey teas. The breakfast teas I take honey and a little milk, the others ho ey and lemon. I like Chai tea in the winter, made from tea bags with a little honey and milk, the mixes that are available are too sweet for me. I live iced tea year round. I make it with a combination of black k tea with either berry or citrus tea tea bags includes. I usually make sun tea and only add a bit of lemon. Take Wild Sweet Orange is one of my favorite herbal infusions.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    I like plain black tea without any flavors added to it. Like Irish or English Breakfast tea. No sugar, no lemon, no milk. Herbal teas taste horrible to me. I like Ceylon tea a lot; it is a black tea, but fermented differently from other black teas.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 206 Member
    For me it's Chai or regular black tea, mainly from bags with a dash of skim milk. Tend to drink about 4-5 cups a day.
  • 88AViva
    @MaggieGirl135 Ceylon, Assam and Darjeeling blend is perfect for Chai 🙂
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Being Korean, I love my ginger/citron, jujube, barley teas.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 432 Member
    My daily is yorkshire tea with ~0.5 tsp sugar and 1 tsp of half and half. (It really just depends on how long it steeps, I don't like sweet tea but I don't like bitter either!)

I also like iced tea (Luizianne!)

I drink green tea occasionally.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    @88AViva I never heard of Assam tea and Googled it and it is in Irish Breakfast teas and has a malty flavor (I now have to be more attentive!).

@azuki84 I also had to Google jujube and barley teas. I would guess I wouldn’t like jujube if you steep the fruit (due to a fruity flavor), but I might like it if the leaves are steeped (supposedly, it is made both ways). It notes that barley tea is bitter, so I’m not thinking I would like that for that reason.

I am finding this thread to be very interesting!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    The Brew Tea Company does the best loose leaf caffinated tea ever! And as it can be a postal subscription service, the best part is I never need to run out or go to the shops to get it 🤗