Food Aversions

2»

Replies

• Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 880 Member
    edited April 2022
    Ok. Most people may think this is unusual but, I don’t like the smell of coffee or beer. I’ve never had a coffee, and probably never will. Only ever had one beer and had to hold my nose to drink it. Never again! When I was very young, and pregnant, I lived beside a brewery and could smell the hops wafting from the factory. I vomited a lot. Couldn’t stand coffee smells either. Still can’t and I’m old now.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Ketchup.
    To many dinners spent having to watch younger siblings pour tons of it over everything, and get it all over themselves and everything else.
    Then of course having to help sort the little beggars out and clear up.

The smell...bleurgh. I don't even really like someone else having it near me.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Cluelessmama1979 Posts: 129 Member
    Ok. Most people may think this is unusual but, I don’t like the smell of coffee or beer. I’ve never had a coffee, and probably never will. Only ever had one beer and had to hold my nose to drink it. Never again! When I was very young, and pregnant, I lived beside a brewery and could smell the hops wafting from the factory. I vomited a lot. Couldn’t stand coffee smells either. Still can’t and I’m old now.

I love coffee smells, but I have an aversion to both the smell and the taste of alcohol in ... anything. I can even tell if something has been "beer-battered" or cooked in any kind of alcohol, really, bythe smell alone, and at that point I absolutely cannot eat it.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    How is it that people have listed many things I love, but nobody has mentioned bananas? Both the taste and the texture are disgusting!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member

I love coffee smells, but I have an aversion to both the smell and the taste of alcohol in ... anything. I can even tell if something has been "beer-battered" or cooked in any kind of alcohol, really, bythe smell alone, and at that point I absolutely cannot eat it.

I love the smell of coffee, and if I had the space I would have an old-fashioned coffee machine running in the background all the time just for the smell. But I can't stand the taste. With one exception. My last summer vacation was in northern Greece. I spent days trying to organize a day-trip to some Roman archaeology in Albania as no tours were going due to Covid. My guide who picked me up at the border greeted me with a cup of coffee from a roadside stall, totally strong, no idea where the water came from, and at that moment it was quite delicious!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Traumatic childhood experience with rice pudding with raisins. I do like rice and raisins, but as a kid was taken on a cruise where I was sea sick most of the time. I remember one night of vomitting up rice pudding with raisins where pieces of raisin got stuck in my nose on the way up.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    How is it that people have listed many things I love, but nobody has mentioned bananas? Both the taste and the texture are disgusting!

Bananas are gross 🤢
    I have a slight allergy to them too - it feels like the roof of my mouth has been cut
    They're evil!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    I feel compelled to try things (and often have been pleasantly surprised) . . . but I'm glad that I only learned (and observed) after becoming vegetarian that people eat chicken feet. Yes, they look exactly like chicken feet. 😬

Other than that, not much fazes me. The only case of stomach-turning I can think of . . . and to be fair, I was slightly hung over . . . was watching my late husband eating a self-caught whole fried fish for breakfast . . . and gently patting the popped-out fried eyeball back into place with his fork, before continuing to eat. Bleaah!

Vegetarianism does save me from trying a lot of scary things.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    I have an aversion to mayonnaise. In general though I have been working on learning to like some foods I previously didn’t like. Often successfully! For instance it turns out that I thought I didn’t like all olives. But now I know there are many different types and some of them I really like.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    The only fish I can eat is tuna made into tuna salad. To me it tastes like swampy water smells. I don't like fresh tomatoes or raw onion, cooked is fine. Other foods are more a texture thing like Cream of Wheat or grits.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    I absolutely can not stand the taste of black licorice!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I'm trying to think if I have any real food aversions...

Raw fish.

I used to not like mushrooms at all....disliked the texture...but drown ANYTHING in garlic butter... :)

I had my first and only muscle that way too.

Liver but I was always ok with chopped liver.

Definitely don't like black licorice.

Escargot.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    edited May 2022
    I made Tuna Helper when I was pregnant. Halfway through, the smell suddenly got to me. I turned off the stove and told my husband “get me out of the house. NOW.” I used to love “Helpers” but as a result, I haven’t had one in 30+ years.

Eggs. No thank you. Cold stop.

Alcohol of any stripe. Coming up around a couple generations of alcoholics, and being forced to fetch their beers for their entertainment because they knew how much I hated doing it (“why, she’s our own little Carrie Nation, go get us a beer” har har har), I can’t stomach the odor or taste of any kind of alcohol.

On the flip side, tastes do change. Mom always gave us canned vegetables . Blecch. I never had any inkling I’d like fresh vegetables as much as I do now. Roasted beets. OMG!!!! Where have they been all my life?
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    Just soda/soft drinks. Everything else I'm fine with.
  • krjohnson1292
    krjohnson1292 Posts: 37 Member
    Carrots and Raisin salad. It was served at every restaurant back in the 90s when I was a kid.

I heave at the sight alone!