WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2022

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Annie - I am hoping to lose 10 lbs by July 6th. I also have a pair of pants I bought last summer that I want to fit in this year. They are a lilac pair of Jordache jeans just like I had in the 80’s.

Michele - can you just hang the pictures yourself? I’m just curious, my Mom never hung anything by herself. If I waited for DH nothing would ever be done.

Our daughter and SIL made it safely back from MB tonight. Our daughter said it was a terrible drive, she was nauseous and couldn’t sleep well. I hope she rests well tonight.

Their dog was so excited to see them. She does not sleep well at our house. She was sound asleep on her spot on their couch half an hour after getting home.

I guess this weekend I achieved my goal. I didn’t even clean my house. I’ll do it next weekend if not throughout the week.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Michele - If you don't want to do it yourself, (and even I can hang a picture! :o ), why don't you just get a handyman to do it? One of the great joys, after I divorced, was employing handymen to do the things my husband would put off for ages. It was bliss! It would also shame Vince into doing things sooner.
    Luckily, DH is useless at DIY. :p<3 He can put up a picture though!

Our 'dateday' today. Strolling along the seafront to a new, to me, restaurant. :D It's a Bank Holiday here.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a Peak 10 Cardio Interval Burn DVD then one segment of AM Yoga for your Week DVD. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise. I’ll probably be at work later since I’ll give them extra prep.

Regarding the landscaping in front of our house: the guy is a great guy and does good work – when he gets around to it. Last May I asked him to do the work saying that I didn’t mind waiting until September. He came here in late May, we discussed things, he asked us to remove 3 landscape lights so he could get his equipment in to remove the bushes which we did in June of last year. It wasn’t until October that he removed the bushes. At that time his guys who were trying to chop a stump put holes in a pipe. They did put a tarp around the pipe, but it’s still exposed. In June I’m going to call him to say “do you realize it’s been one year since we’ve removed the landscape lights for you and six months that the pipe has been exposed” unless he does the work in the meantime. Somehow, I doubt it. He was also going to put in a lawn for us, we told him that we needed to put up the “fence” for the Halloween decorations, he told us to put it up, that he’s had good luck installing lawns in November. I told him that the fence stays up until after Christmas. So who knows when/if that lawn is going to be put in. We have other work to be done on the side of the house and I’ve been speaking to another landscaper (he does work for the Green Room and for one of my neighbors), he did come here to see what had to be done. I called him the other day to say how excited I am that he’ll be doing the work and left my number in case he needed to refresh his memory as to what needs to be done. Maybe he’ll get it done before the front of the house is done.

Loki nipped Vince the other day and his hand has swollen. He went to the MD and they prescribed augmentin. It’s still swollen some but he can move it more. BUT now his rib is hurting him. He thinks it’s because he has been doing things with his left hand and that aggravated the rib.

I told you that my Wii died. Well, we put it up on Craigs List, haven’t had any bites so I’m going to suggest that we just donate the board and the other things we have for it. I really don’t want to have that in the house any more. I did finally get him to get rid of the incandescent bulbs we had. He wanted to put them up on Craigs List. I finally convinced him that no one is going to want them, why not just throw them out? He finally did. But he left a bag downstairs so I asked him what it was for, he said that he was going to use it to put light bulbs in but it was too small. Why leave it downstairs, tho? So I brought it up and put it in recycling.

We only bought pictures to go in the downstairs bathroom a year ago. They still aren’t up, but what else is new? I swear, the older he gets the longer it takes for him to get to things. And he doesn’t like me to keep suggesting things that need to be done. Says I’m nagging. My answer is usually “why not just do it and shut me up”

Anne DE – you are amazing, the consistency! Good for you!

Rebecca – to use the sauna at my gym, you still have to make an appointment. What a pain! I many times can’t be sure what time I’ll get there or be done. Wish it was like pre-pandemic where you could use it any time and more than 1 person could use it at a time.

Motherofcats – welcome back!

Helped with the pool, got all the windows on the outside washed since it was cloudy today. I’ll save washing the insides for a day when it’s raining. Then I was even able to clean the grates for my oven. I didn’t think I’d get to that. Right now I’m copying a tape about exercises for the ball. I didn’t realize it was so long

Packed my overnight bag for Iowa and suitcase. Hope I remembered everything. Tomorrow the gal who is going to watch the cats is coming by to find out about the medications and I need to pack my food. I plan to work late (like until 11 or so) so that I can give them extra prep even if it’s for only one day.

Michele NC

Why not ring the gardener now rather than waiting till June and hang the picture yourself.

I got rather good at hanging pictures when I lived on my own.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited May 2022
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, legs up the wall, steps >7400, dogs to powerline, CI<CO, CI<250<CO
    Bonus: church, ‘nother load laundry
    Just one thing: back to bupkes
    Workin’ on it: Sunday 143.3, H20x5, active :
    Meaningful May
    1: Do something kind for someone you really care about.
    2: Focus on what you can do rather than what you can’t do. True this.

April Summary and May Plan

Not as disastrous as I feared. Over indulged but activity improved thanks to walking stick and knee brace. Must revive habit of daily activity before solitaire.

April details:
    daily: sit with Joe: 100%/100%, wt=142.9 /142.2, readings=100%/100%, BP=90%/100%, osteo back=10%/10%, Tumble 5/10=27%/58% Shadow 5/10=30%/34%, declutter=70%/95%, cleaning156%/68%, outside=107%/35%, up hill=83%/23%, steps=average: 5710/4820 vs goal 7395 step days:27%/19%, vits=100%/94% log=100%/100%, H20=4.3/3.8, CI<CO=80%/90%, CI<250<CO=57%65%, active hrs= 3.37/3.6, mfp=90%/97%, AF=50%/43%, groom T=56 avg 1.9/ 396 avg 12.8 mins
    wkly: Sun: wii=89%/149%, Mon: SWSY=0%/0%,Tue: dance=0%/0% Wed T’ai Chi=0% 21% Thur: BB&B=0%/0%, Fri T’ai Chi=0%/0%, Sat Yoga=90%/110%. Wed & Sat walk with T or Joe and the dogs or pack walk x2=122%/0%, Sat: rx=100%/100%,
    monthly: board and council mtgs=100%/100%, give back=hymns, fire district board, community calendar, prayer chain calls, casserole-a-thon and sandwiches for the sheep, set and review progress on 22 goals: bupkes/0.

Weight: April 30:142.9 March 31:142.2 Feb 28:142.4 Jan 31:143.0 Dec 31:142.9 Nov 31:140.9 Oct 31:145.1 Sept 30:141.3 Aug 31:140.0 July 31:140.2 June 30:141.5 May 31:142.4 Apr 30:141.5 Mar 31:145.3 Feb 28:142.4 Jan 31:141.3 Jan 1:145.3 Dec 1:143.3 Jan 1 2020: 142.3
    Waist: 42.0/42.0 afraid to measure :sick:

May resolve- .
    Daily continue to be really present with Joe,
    Chain links: (weigh, readings, BP, 5 mins legs up the wall, 15 mins daily activity before Solitaire, then grooming as needed, 5 mins play training. Dogs down to the powerline rain or shine. rx, vits, CI<250<CO, steps >7395, 5 mins osteo back before bed.
    15 mins Daily activity: Sun wii, Mon SWSY, Tue LD, Wed TC, Thur BB&B, Fri TC, Sat Y 15.
    5 mins declutter, clean daily
    Purge just one thing from anywhere in the house.
    Bonus: 1 hr pack walks, call or text, give back, play with plants
    Encourage Joe to walk, bike or fish.

Lisa I envy you your lilies of the valley. Always wanted some, never lived where they grew.
    Flea thanks for the update, You and Betsy have been in my thoughts and prayers.
    Rebecca :love: “…the learning grandparents” and the Athena fix pics, especially the dog nose in ear one ;)
    Heather well done Johnny!
    Pip that griddle looks a more practical camping appliance than our Black & Decker battery operated margarita mixer :laugh:
    Welcome @motherofcats2020 from Barbara AHMOD (Ageing Hippie Mother of Dogs). Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Terri “,,mindful of the positives…” Amen, sister, AMEN!
    Welcome @nsk951 Neena in NY and Brava for trying out the gym and getting yourself across that intersection.
    Annie my mini goal is to start from where I am, every moment ;)
    Debbie Zumba in the park sounds like fun!
    Michele there may still be people who want incandescent bulbs, like folk who use them to heat greenhouses or incubator boxes. When I verge on nagging Joe, it works better for me if I ask him to help me do something, at a specific time, than to just do it himself, whenever ;} Like “Honey, would you help me change the bedding this afternoon?” (need him to lift mattress corners while I tuck sheets in.)
    Welcome @melkadee! We were all new here once ;) Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Tracey “…achieved my goal…didn’t even clean my house…” Now that is a goal I can achieve every day. :laugh:
    Machka, Heather, Tracey et al, could you come to my house and hang my pictures? Also help me decide where they should be hung? Joe is constitutionally opposed to “putting holes in the wall” so I’ve used command hooks where I could but I stink at hanging pictures.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.

9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,036 Member
    Hi all. Just popping in to keep up to date. I will be back later. Working on my Done list for today.

Tracey: 🥰… didn’t even clean my house… I’m with Barbara on that goal.

I tend to hang my own pictures. I even have a little mini spirit level to check that they’re straight 😝 We’re an equal opportunities establishment where chores like gardening and housework are concerned.

🥳🎉 Cheers to those celebrating.
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.
    🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies. Let us know what you would like to be called, and a rough location. I’m in Northern Ireland, hence the shamrock.

☘️ Terri
    #justturned76 #jillofalltrades
    #abouttohavebreakfast
    #inmaintenance
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    Happy Monday, y'all, hope it is or was good for everyone,

Welcome to those who are new - we're glad you're here! Keep coming back, this is a wonderfully supportive group of women, and there is almost always someone who has gone through what you have, or is going through it now.

Flea - Thank you for the updates, love seeing you post and think of you often.

Like Terri, my DH and I are more equal opportunity on house things. Well, I at least try to believe that I don't manipulate him, but I'm aware that if I start something, Corey will add a hand. Last night, I needed some seriously heavy bins taken to one of the back bedrooms, as well as one that was really light. I walked through the living room with the lightest one, and he got up and took the other two.

Busy weekend getting things done outside and in - I baked all morning and cleaned on Saturday while Corey went to town and got his hair cut and got the grocery shopping done. He helped me out in the kitchen when he came back. Yesterday was trimming, mowing, etc., and then Corey hauled and burned brush all afternoon. While he was doing that, I fell over and napped for two hours.

Lots of rain in the forecast, so I've got a couple of house things I want to get done, but no hurry needed.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka, Heather, Tracey et al, could you come to my house and hang my pictures? Also help me decide where they should be hung? Joe is constitutionally opposed to “putting holes in the wall” so I’ve used command hooks where I could but I stink at hanging pictures.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.

One of my past careers was an Engineering Technologist (draftsperson). Measuring up a wall and hanging pictures is sort of like drafting. :)

auntiebk wrote: »
    When I verge on nagging Joe, it works better for me if I ask him to help me do something, at a specific time, than to just do it himself, whenever ;} Like “Honey, would you help me change the bedding this afternoon?” (need him to lift mattress corners while I tuck sheets in.)

That method works well for me too. For example, last night, I needed a bag I used for our trip away put on top of a cupboard. I can get the step ladder and heave it up there myself, but it's easier to ask if he could help me when he's in the back of the house next.

It also works if I suggest that this afternoon we're going to take care of such and such ... together.

But telling him to "do this", "do that" is a way to ensure it's not getting done.

M in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Good morning ladies!

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    I decided my next mini-goal is to fit into a pair of green shorts that I have. Hope I can do so by the end of May.

Do you have a mini-goal?

Annie in Delaware

Each thing on my Things to Do list is a mini-goal.

Today I accomplished: Ordering the groceries. I've been meaning to do that for about 3 weeks. We can see the back of our cupboards now.

I would like to get back into climbing stairs again.

The job I'm currently in is a lot more sedentary than my previous job which was also sedentary. In my previous job, we were encouraged to get up about once an hour and walk to the kitchen to get a glass of water. We were encouraged to climb stairs at 10 am and 3 pm. And of course, lunch walks.

In my current position people need to be within arms reach of our phones. So we kind of slip out one by one to use the toilet and get a glass of water, making sure there are enough people left to answer the phones. There's no time to be hiking up and down stairs and although we've got an hour for lunch, most people come back in 30-45 minutes after a very short walk.

By the end of the day, I just about have to break out my compression stockings I've been sitting so much.

Today, I went for a walk at lunch. Took a minute or so here and there to stand by my desk rather than sitting. And this evening, I walked our cat which mainly involved standing in one place for a while and then rushing to another spot. But it was better than coming home and just sitting!

I went down the stairs once today ... I just need to start going up again!

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2022
    This morning we have a bright sunshiny day but I don’t know how long it will last. I see cloudy skies and also a few bright spots.

Machka— I love your 7 Prayers for May. They make me happy. Thank you!

Kim— We live in a 2 story Townhouse. I get a lot of stair climbing every day. It is excellent exercise. It can be hard on my left knee now and then.

Katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Morning ladies
    Sorry got on the band wagon late this morning.
    Debbie- you said you got a bunch of ground turkey.. may I suggest looking up Patti Labelles turkey burger recipe. I have made them a few times and they are delish...
    Hope all is well with everyone today.. i slept in. And im with Homer and Alfie now.. going to go home and fold laundry and see if I can vacuum seal some comforters.
    Tomorrow i take care of the little guy and take the boys to the groomers. Weds i take care of Miles and have an eye appointment. Thursday ,Carmine and I have hair appointment