Menfolk: Father's Day Ideas?

LaBellaHarris
LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
I feel like most of the blogs I find with lists for this are written by women, and are both vague and focused on Buying A Product. Menfolk, what do y'all actually want for Father's Day? Gifts or experiences? What do you wish the lady in your life would do for you to celebrate you and make you feel loved? I'm curious

Replies

• boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Not a Father and don't have a lady in my life so...🤷‍♂️
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Disclaimer... I'm not a big holiday/occasion person. I think they wreak of obligation and I only "celebrate" when necessary, and only to whatever extent is needed to keep the peace.

That said...
    When my kids were at home I always said I wanted us to all go get ice cream together. It was simple, easy, everyone enjoyed it, and it didn't require any advanced planning. It worked when the kids were little, and when they were teenagers. Everyone like ice cream.

As kids got older, holidays in general became less about gifts/items and more about experiences. My wife and I will go to dinner someplace different, day-trip somewhere, that kind of thing.

Plus, people suck at gift-giving... experiences are more cost-effective.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I'm not much into receiving gifts for father's day. Generally speaking I am hard to shop for because if I want something I typically just go out and buy it. We usually go on a camping trip for father's day weekend. That's all I really want...just to spend some time with my family in the quiet of the woods.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    I am not a dad, but I am a son. I try to get my dad things that have practical use, since he is always working on something. Last year he started working as a bus driver, and it gets really hot where I live, so I got him a nice water bottle
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited May 2022
    Being a female I don't fulfill your reply requirements. :) But what makes the man in your life unique? What are his likes and interests? Does he just want to escape and go fishing for the day?
    My dh likes to golf. That's his only interest really, so he'd be happy putting his day away with his buddies.
    I love the experience idea, it makes memories. You can take a bunch of pictures and create a collage for him to remember the day. Is he a private, wanna-do-it-myself kinda guy? Let him take the whole day to himself. Would he rather be with you and family that day? Cater to what he'd like to do, whether it's hiking, fishing, biking, seeing someplace new, make a picnic to take with you or treat him to lunch at his favorite spot.
    Good luck with finding a good idea!
    I know shopping for my own dad, at any time, was a challenging thing at best. :( Shopping for my dh, for my kids, was almost as challenging but the golf thing really worked for him. :/

Course you could always go the route of planning a very romantic day for him, complete with dancing, dinner, wine, candlelight, etc.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I just want to be left alone.

I spend enough time with those people the rest of the year; is one day of peace too much to ask ?

Get Off My Lawn.

Yes, it is... because just like your birthday, it really isn't about you.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I just want to be left alone.

I spend enough time with those people the rest of the year; is one day of peace too much to ask ?

Get Off My Lawn.

Yes, it is... because just like your birthday, it really isn't about you.

..... it's always about me.

always.

and forever.