Did anyone experience That.. It's harder to lose weight when Light Vs your heavier self

2»

Replies

• Lullaby2021
    Lullaby2021 Posts: 121 Member
    edited May 2022
    At 5’7” I got as low as 127.

I thought I “needed” to get back to my wedding day weight of 125. That was my ideal.

It took a caring trainer staying on my *kitten* to finally get me to see it was too too low. Even my husband was afraid to say anything. Apparently I had developed a (worse than usual) bark and bite.

I’m maintaining at 135 now, yet the wedding dress I wore at 125 fits comfortably, even loosely.

Our bodies change, even though our perceptions don’t. What may have been a great weight X number of years ago may not be now, due to age, childbirth, or any number of factors.

The weight you may be seeking in your head just may not be the appropriate weight for you any longer.

Have you considered recomp?

Yes, Still don't understand it tho. What exactly is that?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2022

I thought I “needed” to get back to my wedding day weight of 125. That was my ideal.

It took a caring trainer staying on my *kitten* to finally get me to see it was too too low. Even my husband was afraid to say anything. Apparently I had developed a (worse than usual) bark and bite.

I’m maintaining at 135 now, yet the wedding dress I wore at 125 fits comfortably, even loosely.

Our bodies change, even though our perceptions don’t. What may have been a great weight X number of years ago may not be now, due to age, childbirth, or any number of factors.

The weight you may be seeking in your head just may not be the appropriate weight for you any longer.

Re-comp is what us older guys just used to call "getting in shape". Essentially you stay right around the same weight, but you slowly add muscle and decrease BF%. It is a slow process but often gives the desired body composition and look that people are going for vs continued dieting where one ultimately just looks a skinnier version of what they currently are. Of course, there are some people who strive for the emaciated runway model look, which is rather unhealthy...but very often the look that people are going for is more of a fitness look and continued dieting doesn't do that. Proper resistance training programming does that.

As an example, meet Stacy....

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

You may not believe it, but Stacy is actually 11 Lbs heavier in the picture on the right at 142 Lbs vs 131 Lbs on the left. Despite being heavier, she is leaner and aesthetically looks stronger, healthier and more fit. You can read her story here.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/female-powerlifters-meet-staci-ardison/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,971 Member

There's a good thread about it in the "Most Helpful Posts" of the "Maintaining Weight" part of the MFP Community:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

It's described in the OP on page 1 of that thread - which is very long, and various Q&A, useful links, progress pics and whatnot spread through the thread.

If you prefer info in video form, there are a couple of them on page 125 of the thread, from generally well-regarded content creators.