May 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,029 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Went out a few minutes after 6 this morning and the sky was already getting light with streaks of blue and pink in the East. Temp was in the mid-50s. A perfect morning for running. I got in 5.23 miles. I tried to focus on shorter steps but even though my overall average pace was 45 seconds faster per mile than yesterday, my average cadence was lower.

I'm so envious of your mid-50's!! Did your back feel better with the shorter steps?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Went out a few minutes after 6 this morning and the sky was already getting light with streaks of blue and pink in the East. Temp was in the mid-50s. A perfect morning for running. I got in 5.23 miles. I tried to focus on shorter steps but even though my overall average pace was 45 seconds faster per mile than yesterday, my average cadence was lower.

I'm so envious of your mid-50's!! Did your back feel better with the shorter steps?

Yes I didn't feel any twinges while I was running.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited May 2022
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The run started out in light rain, wind, and mid 45F but the rain was short lived and I was able to keep my clothes on.

I love that this is the barometer by which runs are measured now!! :D

Yep, we have set a pretty low bar 😉 I love it!

6 treadmill miles this evening. One of the better treadmill runs I have had. Just felt very comfortable.

exercise.png

ETA: I just saw in my Google News feed the Pittsburgh Marathon was yesterday. I just thought of @PastorVincent . If he were with us he definitely would have been out there. RIP ❣️
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @7lenny7 Too funny! I'm glad you enjoyed your run. I love running in areas like that.

For those of you recovering from COVID, just listen to your body and take it easy. I know it is frustrating to not be able to do what you normally do, but rest will help you get back there.

Today was a rest day on my plan. Hubby and I went for a 1.5 mile walk this evening before a pop-up storm started. I am going to try to run before work tomorrow in hopes that 1) it will perk me up and help me get through what will be a very busy day, and 2) maybe I'll be able to go to my Pump class tomorrow night and have a two workout day.
  • martaindale
    AbnerCrew wrote: »
    5-1 : 4.32 Miles.
    5-2 : 1.04 Miles.

Fully clothed both days.

Well done!! :D:D
  • martaindale
    May totals: 9.8/100 miles

3/2: 3.2 miles
    3/3: 6.6 miles

Speed work today. My plan called for 11 x 400m repeats at mile pace. Mid 70’s, 87% humidity with decent cloud cover. I wasn’t sure how many I could manage at that pace but managed half. The other half were a few seconds slower, closer to 5k pace. I even managed the last one to be a mile pace! Not bad for the conditions. Also, I lost count somewhere and ended up doing 12 repeats. Really not sure how I managed that.
    Also, tried new shoes today. I’m trying to figure out if the reason I’m not loving my ghosts (which I have used almost exclusively for a few years) is because the shoes have changed or if my needs from a shoe have changed. I’ve already adjusted my shoes once from a support shoe when I first started running to a neutral shoe as my gait changed over time. So, I know it’s possible that maybe it’s time for me to reevaluate my needs from my shoes. However, I spend a lot of time running on concrete and I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to move away from a cushioned shoe for all of my runs. So, I bought a pair of brooks launch 8 (on sale for $90!!) and figured I would give them a try. The launch is not as heavily cushioned and is in their speed line. I used them for my speed workout today and they are noticeably lighter than the ghosts. There is still enough cushion on the shoe that I didn’t feel like I was taking a beating from the concrete even after almost 7 miles and they were quite comfortable straight from the box. I think I will mix these in for speed work days and maybe races.
  • Scott6255
    @martaindale Yes, I too was a Brooks Ghost lover for many many years, but something changed for me too and I moved away from them into ASICS (NovaBlast 2). Like you, not sure if it was a change in the shoe or my gait or my physiology, but for whatever reason I felt a difference when getting out of the Ghosts. Glad the Launch is working for you. I had a couple pair in like 2015 or so. Might have to try them again.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    Goal 120 miles. (fully clothed!) 17.27 to date. I almost spit up my coffee this morning. Perhaps Scott that bit of instruction needs to be added to the monthly opener?

5-1 8.06
    5-2 4.08
    5-3 3.11 WUN + 2.02 tot 5.13

Glad I did a long run on Sunday the 1st but boy were my legs achy today (48 hrs post strenuous is my peak muscle soreness timeframe). I have found that rotating shoes as well as pace/cadence works different muscle in my legs. Shoes are tough with the styles constantly changing and I rarely get 150 miles out of a pair anymore before my shins complain so the materials are lighter but less durable.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    May Goal: 100 Miles

5/1: 12.03 miles
    5/2: 2.02 miles
    5/3: 5.05 miles

19.10/100 miles completed for May

I ran 5 miles this morning. It was chillier than I expected it to be. It was about 55°F, but there was a 15mph North wind. I was a little underdressed. I was surprised that it was so cool. It t is supposed to be over 100 this weekend.

exercise.png

• Scott6255
    @polskagirl01 I think using the hiking in place of slow recovery runs is fully justified, and probably even more stressful on the body.

Got in 6.1 miles this morning. Misting for the entire run (so 100% humidity), but it felt pretty good. Ran fairly easy for the most part, but did a fartlek at the end of each mile. Hit 221 spm cadence and 5:52/mi pace on a couple of them.

exercise.png
  • martaindale
    The solution is probably to go back and do more by myself at the pace I want for the important long runs on the training plan, and count these hikes as just a bonus, or put them in place of an easier, shorter run on the plan. Like 16km slow hike = 8k easy run, or something like that? Or would that be cheating the plan too much?

I think it depends on how the effort for the hike relates to the effort for the run on your plan. If the hike is so much easier that you don’t feel like the efforts match, I would go back an run separately. If you feel the hike is similar to the effort for your easy run, I think it is reasonable to substitute it. The easy runs in training plans are for recovery so a hike seems like a fair substitution.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    I ran with a friend 4.69 miles this morning. Overall pace was slower than normal because she needed to stop and walk a few times. Temp was 68F with 84% humidity. I was a sweaty mess!

@SummerSkier - I love that Ray Stevens song! Our theme song?

Beautiful pictures @polskagirl01! I would count the hike as a recovery run. It was time on your feet so it should definitely count some place in your plan.