Looking for MFPers who have lost 10-30 pounds...

Replies

• frankconnell19
    frankconnell19 Posts: 12 Member
    Hello grkski, thank you for your post. I used to cycle centuries 20 years ago. Short story, got out of shape 20 years ago. Weighed in January 1, 2022 at 268. I'm down 33 pounds in 42 days. I walk 2 miles a day and can't seem to get beyond that. Your post caught my eye because you're 64 and I'm 65. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • meghs35
    meghs35 Posts: 2 Member
    757iinrwmmlf.jpeg
    In December of 2020, my husband and I were both unhappy with our pandemic weight gain and decided to do something. So starting on January 1, 2021 I was determined to lose the 12 pounds I had gained.

I knew that tracking every single food/drink that I consumed would be key to my weight loss, but I didn't want to focus just on my weight-- I wanted to focus on health and fitness and knew if I did so, the weight would drop off. So I synched MFP with my Apple Watch to track my exercise and with my Withings Body Composition scale so that minor blips of weight gain due to water wouldn't sidetrack me or make me feel like "I'm doing everything right and it's not working so I might as well just have pizza."

Working with a nutritionist (I am a heart transplant recipient and as such provided with a nutritionist for my after-care), I set a daily calorie goal as well as macro goals for protein, fat, carbs, fiber, sugar and sodium. I also set a daily goal of drinking at least 70 ounces of water. And I set a weekly goal of 5 hours of exercise.

For most of my adult life, I cringed every time someone would use the phrase "lifestyle change." To me, it seemed like a new marketing term for the word "diet." But at some point in Q1 as I hit my goal of 12 pounds, I realized that I had actually made it through the lifestyle change and into the actual lifestyle. I no longer had to "remember" to log my food or to weigh every day-- it was just a part of my daily life. I no longer had to find new ways to motivate myself to stay on track or to exercise-- I just did it. And it felt great!

Those first 12 pounds came off so easily that I just kept going. Here are my year-end stats:

•36.2 lbs lost
    •Decreased my BMI from 30 (obese) to 23 (healthy)
    •Decreased my fat mass by 35%
    •Increased my lean muscle mass
    •Went from a size 12 to a size 4
    •274 miles hiked/walked/run
    •24,802 vertical feet gained
    •215 hours spent exercising
    •Competed in seven 5k’s

Because I'm smaller, have increased my muscle mass, and improved my cardiovascular condition tremendously, I can now eat more calories than before... but the foods I'm eating have not changed. This is my life now and I absolutely love it.

My new heart feels really happy about it as well!a6rxwdc7eohb.jpeg
    hbwogpc4zmjy.jpeg
    m4d8rmh556r4.jpeg
    Awesome results!! can you please share you stats, daily calorie goal and macros you followed . Thanks so much
  • farmspiders
    farmspiders Posts: 4 Member
    I love your enthusiasm. I too started around 238, lost 50 and am struggling to get rid of the next 35 ..148 being a target weight for forever. I'm 62 yrs old and I know I can be the best version of me by the end of this year. Let's do this!
  • marzecbrothers
    marzecbrothers Posts: 3 Member
    MattMooToo wrote: »
    Well thats a bit of a shame for all of us 50 or over. Why the ageist attitude. Awful way of making your over 50’s premium members feel involved and engaged.
    I’ve lost 3 stone but can’t join in because I’m 51 🙄

You could start your own post for 46 on up. Not all experiments are inclusive. He picked a demographic for what he wanted to know.
  • greeneyes2129
    greeneyes2129 Posts: 3 Member
    I am 41. I have lost 32 pounds, but still have a ways to go! MFP is the ONLY tool that has been consistent! If I slack off using it, I stop losing(and actually start gaining weight back).
  • AndieBro1005
    AndieBro1005 Posts: 1 Member
    My starting weight was 275 lbs and I am down to 249 and counting. When I stepped on the scale this morning, I was so excited to see that I'm officially in the 240s. I am insulin resistant and have been diagnosed with PCOS and Type 2 diabetes. I have been doing a lot of research into how to reverse insulin resistance and am currently on a low carb diet (under 100 a day, just went to under 50 a day) and working my way into a keto diet. I have been yoyo dieting for years. Not understanding PCOS has made it very difficult to lose weight and now that I'm finally understanding how my body works and what helps it work more efficiently, the weight is just dropping off as long as I stay on track. I have learned that it takes a few days to come back from a cheat weekend (Easter was filled with good food, no candy though!) and seeing that on the scale was a good push to stay on track.
  • imruss
    imruss Posts: 7 Member
    Hi. I am over your age range (53) but I want to let you know. I started MFP in 2015 and lost NOTHING until three months ago when I really hunkered down and counted EVERY THING I ATE on the app. That is what I had to do. I have lost 28 lbs. in 90 days (2.17 lb a week) just like the app calculated I would. I bought the premium membership because you deserve some support for this great app. I have 18 lbs. to go and it looks like that will be in August. Thank you all.
  • jasonferguson925
    jasonferguson925 Posts: 3 Member
    Just about to turn 50, lost 30lbs since January
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    I'm down 50 pounds since Feb.24 2022. I can't believe it! I track my entire days worth if food the day before so that way there aren't any surprises. Plus I swim laps 5 days a week. I also walk to and from the pool for extra exercise.
  • lancedevon
    lancedevon Posts: 1 Member
    I just started on may 3 at 281 so far today I am down to 263
  • JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    edited June 2022
    Hi, Im 62 , started on May 1st this year and 5 weeks later Ive lost 15lbs.
    CICO and eating smaller meals.
    Start weight 16st. (224lb).
    Now 14st.13lb. (209lb).
    Target weight 9st. (126lb).
    Eating 1200-1500 a day.
    Walking 5 miles daily.
    Cycling 5 miles stationary bike daily.
  • StDominicBarberi
    StDominicBarberi Posts: 11 Member
    757iinrwmmlf.jpeg
    In December of 2020, my husband and I were both unhappy with our pandemic weight gain and decided to do something. So starting on January 1, 2021 I was determined to lose the 12 pounds I had gained.

I knew that tracking every single food/drink that I consumed would be key to my weight loss, but I didn't want to focus just on my weight-- I wanted to focus on health and fitness and knew if I did so, the weight would drop off. So I synched MFP with my Apple Watch to track my exercise and with my Withings Body Composition scale so that minor blips of weight gain due to water wouldn't sidetrack me or make me feel like "I'm doing everything right and it's not working so I might as well just have pizza."

Working with a nutritionist (I am a heart transplant recipient and as such provided with a nutritionist for my after-care), I set a daily calorie goal as well as macro goals for protein, fat, carbs, fiber, sugar and sodium. I also set a daily goal of drinking at least 70 ounces of water. And I set a weekly goal of 5 hours of exercise.

For most of my adult life, I cringed every time someone would use the phrase "lifestyle change." To me, it seemed like a new marketing term for the word "diet." But at some point in Q1 as I hit my goal of 12 pounds, I realized that I had actually made it through the lifestyle change and into the actual lifestyle. I no longer had to "remember" to log my food or to weigh every day-- it was just a part of my daily life. I no longer had to find new ways to motivate myself to stay on track or

Those first 12 pounds came off so easily that I just kept going. Here are my year-end stats:

•36.2 lbs lost
    •Decreased my BMI from 30 (obese) to 23 (healthy)
    •Decreased my fat mass by 35%
    •Increased my lean muscle mass
    •Went from a size 12 to a size 4
    •274 miles hiked/walked/run
    •24,802 vertical feet gained
    •215 hours spent exercising
    •Competed in seven 5k’s

Because I'm smaller, have increased my muscle mass, and improved my cardiovascular condition tremendously, I can now eat more calories than before... but the foods I'm eating have not changed. This is my life now and I absolutely love it.

My new heart feels really happy about it as well!a6rxwdc7eohb.jpeg
    hbwogpc4zmjy.jpeg
    m4d8rmh556r4.jpeg

You are so inspirational thank you. I lost a lot of weight similar to you in my late 40s and was also a size 4 at 48. Unfortunately I then got cancer in my spine. I have fully recovered but my recovery took many years. I have gained so that I am just over 180lb and a size 12. Just started my fitness journey again, I love weight training and walking so my old self and your new weight loss is just like my own journey. I am now 53 but I am confident I can get where I was. I am on HRT and ut makes me feel fantastic. My husband also got back in shape this years and he also inspires me.

Congratulations and well done on regaining your health and looking and feeling fabulous ❤
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,570 Member
    15 to 20 lbs weightloss. 44 yrs old.

isb8t4btbuet.jpg
  • atrgemini
    atrgemini Posts: 50 Member
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10851891/looking-for-mfpers-who-have-lost-10-30-pounds/p1
    Hi all and welcome to the end of the year - or as I've taken to calling it, #20tattoo.

Last night before bed, I came back. I came back here, really, because it was where this all began and I wanted to try to capture the feeling of these stories of inspiration. I was a little sad to see that there hasn't been any activity since July, but was happier to see that there were new stories being added - congratulations to you all on your journeys! It makes me so happy to see such beautiful and confident souls out here repping their progress. I was having a discussion with a coworker this week about yoga, and she indicated that she's so much more motivated by group work and fitness classes; I know the importance of sharing community really drives motivation for many.

This year has passed for me in the blink of an eye since that first post in January of this year (link embedded) where I was finally getting somewhere in my journey. So much has happened and there has been such rapid and drastic change in my life. I picked up my life and moved to Virginia to work for a non-profit without the slightest clue in the world about where I was going. The work I’m doing is gratifying, wholesome, and gives me purpose but I am frighteningly alone on the East Coast after living in California for nearly all of my 33 years of life. I ran my half-marathon in May of this year in 2 hours and achieved a 15 year low in weight at 197.5 pounds – essentially what amounts to 80 pounds. In April, shortly before the marathon, I looked at myself in the mirror one day and realized that it was time to stop running. Figuratively and literally – I had progressed enough in therapy to address and face my transgressions as a person and I realized I didn’t like being… skinny fat. I realized, too, that I didn’t really have a goal. So, I made my goal to get ripped, and basically cut all of the cardio completely out of my routine (outside of 2 or 3 miles of running a day). I also started eating normally again, with essentially no restrictions.

I have some neat photos and some pretty specific data to share that is encouraging and illustrates this, but most importantly – I just wanted to say that I’ve stuck with this thing and never gave up on it; I haven’t voluntarily missed a single day all year and amidst all of the change, it’s the only constant I still have. I’m approaching 18 months of a complete 360 mental and physical change and feeling pensive, mostly because the new year is almost here and I’ve been sad and discouraged by how slow progress has felt just in the way I look – even though I have plenty of data to show how my body has changed since May 2022. I’m hoping to establish a long-term goals and progress blog somewhere here in the next week for community support, simply because after my conversation about yoga and community exercise – I want to give back, to celebrate, to encourage, and to receive such from a group of like-minded kin. I have missed this amidst all of the change.

Below, I have 2 graphs: one showing my all-time stats for MFP, and one showing a 1-year trend line for weight. At first glance, it really does look like I’ve made no progress between December 2021 and December 2022. If you look again though, you’ll see that my all-time low was right there sometime in April – which was when I started my strength training.

3isgfi0gkpiy.png

Taking it a step further – I’ve been working hard to calculate as close to exact body fat percentage measurements every week since then, or at least on a regular basis. I’ve attached the data here to illustrate that even though my weight is nearly the same as it was in December 2021 – look how the distribution has changed. I have nearly the same number of pounds of fat, but I’ve added over 20 pounds of muscle. Honestly, I likely would have added much more and/or shed fat, but I had to switch to a cardio regime from September to the end of November because I tore my rotator cuff pushing myself too hard. It’s been hard convincing myself that I’m actually really pushing hard for a real body configuration and not just gaining weight – hence the science using as an accurate a method as I can on my own.

ijhcgkx2s65p.png

I believe in the power of this community and I would love to hear how your 2022 journeys are going. This time of year, New Years Eve resolutions are big, but ideally? Now is the time to reinvigorate and reinvest; you shouldn’t need a resolution with the support of your community and commitment to your goals. Finally, here is a comparison photo showing December 2021 to December 2022; who did it best? Cheers…. I’ll be in touch with a blog/group link soon, for anyone with similar interests or shared goals... I think we're almost ready for #2020me!

1yx8v8z0q072.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!