Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Public vs private food diaries on MFP

13»

Replies

• icandoit2323
    icandoit2323 Posts: 31 Member
    I have it closed because I can't imagine anyone would be interested in it :D
  • chuckees130
    chuckees130 Posts: 20 Member
    When I first started, my diary was very private, because I thought everyone else here ate perfectly every day. Then I read some public diaries. I eventually came to know that we’re all doing the best we can do and trying to learn the best ways to do just a little better. So now my diary is open. I can’t imagine why anyone else would WANT to look, but if it helps anyone in any way, then they can look.

I have my diary public and have been trying to meet new people to friend. I'm over 60 could this be why nobody responds?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,238 Member
    When I first started, my diary was very private, because I thought everyone else here ate perfectly every day. Then I read some public diaries. I eventually came to know that we’re all doing the best we can do and trying to learn the best ways to do just a little better. So now my diary is open. I can’t imagine why anyone else would WANT to look, but if it helps anyone in any way, then they can look.

I have my diary public and have been trying to meet new people to friend. I'm over 60 could this be why nobody responds?

Just making the diary public doesn't cause friend requests, and even having MFP friends doesn't mean people will comment on your diary.

If it's that you don't have friends, ask for friend requests on one of the threads for that, like maybe this one:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10832868/comment-here-if-you-want-more-friends-2#latest

Or look in the "Introductions" or "Getting Started" parts of the Community, see threads with people asking for friends, send them friend requests.

Another option is to join a challenge group in "Challenges" to meet people. If you want to join a thread for 60+ people (general discussion, not challenge), there's this one:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

If it's that people don't comment on your diary, start posting status updates with questions, comment on others exercise with encouraging comments, etc.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,734 Member
    I keep mine private, mostly because I'm not looking for feedback from anyone else, it's for my information.