WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2022

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,427 Member
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Terri--Sorry for your loss.

Tina--Great vacation pictures, sorry about the food. I hope you did feedback so they can hopefuly fix the problem.

I have started a "Done" list and hope that helps me get motivated to get things done. I was off yesterday and other than going to the doctor I did not get anything done. I did cook supper and clean up the kitchen, but took a nap in the afternoon and did nothing else. I go Monday afternoon to see the doctor about the results of the heart test done yesterday. All the tech said was I can not tell you anything.

Rita--So happy they got your problem with posting pictures fixed. That fire looks pretty close. Interteresting tent. Thanks for sharing.

Tracey--Good for you having the grandchildren earn the extra ceramics. I have my 2 grand daughters help with chores and I pay them. It gives them pride in having their own money that they earned. Children need to learn that not all things will be given to them. I do think when they earn and buy with their own money they take better care of what they get.

Heather--I agree with the other ladies that your DH is a Blessing to your DGC and they will have great memories of him and the time they spent together with both of you.

Rebecca--I agree I would love to be able to go to bed and sleep. I toss and turn and think about life and all the mistakes I have made or what bad things can happen. I do pray alot and get to sleep only to wake up a couple hours later. Been better and getting back to sleep. But feel I need more sleep when the alarm goes off. But then on my days off I am awake before the alarm would be going off if it was a work day. Just never ends.

Another rainy day. No rain or moisture for months and now this last week we have made up for it. Sure glad we have the new gutters and water is away from the house. Have DGS's graduation from pre-school tonight. So hoping to get home early.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

I think as we age sleep becomes somewhat of a challenge. Good, restorative sleep is maybe 50% of the time. I have a lot of OCD type habits when I am in bed, whether it be picking at my fingers, or pulling at chin hair, (just that one pore), or making sure the sheets are a specific way. Its all pointless, mindless, and I would love to figure it all out.
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Got up at 6 am! I know, surprised me too! After exercising at the gym, we need to stop over to the on base clinic and I need to pick up my BP bills, and schedule my yearly appointment. So I have a couple of questions when I go:
    -I want to have better sleep. I want to snore less, and shut down my brain. There are nights where I sit and contemplate life. I fiddle with the sheets, switch positions like a zillion times, pick my nails until I need to get up and put on a bandaid, its so silly.
    -I am still swirling with vertigo at night as well. Just a couple but man, it gets tiresome. Maybe I have a whole ears, nose throat issue?
    -would love a sleep aide, but disconnected using the one I was on. It just kicked in late in the night, and I had the medicine head in the morning. Plus when it did kick in, I snored twice as loud and wouldn't follow husbands urges to "switch positions".
    I would love to just get it all sorted, but like most things, there isn't a quick fix to it all.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I used to use melatonin but didn't like the morning fog feeling.
    now use these- work faster and no morning fog the next morning. No water needed so keep them on the night stand. Take 4, if you are still awake in 15 min, take 4 more.
    Great also for stressful times during the day, (like dentist appointments)

https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Phosphates-Exhaustion-Irritability-Sleeplessness/dp/B0001TMHLK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3E3W4JO162L9Y&amp;keywords=hylands+biochemic+phosphates&amp;qid=1651772242&amp;rdc=1&amp;sprefix=Hylands+bio,aps,137&amp;sr=8-5

Other places have them too- some better prices but that is decent for 1000 tablets.

Debbie

Interesting! I will check them out. Hylands is the brand I used to buy their teething tablets for the boys. Thanks for the info!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Got up at 6 am! I know, surprised me too! After exercising at the gym, we need to stop over to the on base clinic and I need to pick up my BP bills, and schedule my yearly appointment. So I have a couple of questions when I go:
    -I want to have better sleep. I want to snore less, and shut down my brain. There are nights where I sit and contemplate life. I fiddle with the sheets, switch positions like a zillion times, pick my nails until I need to get up and put on a bandaid, its so silly.
    -I am still swirling with vertigo at night as well. Just a couple but man, it gets tiresome. Maybe I have a whole ears, nose throat issue?
    -would love a sleep aide, but disconnected using the one I was on. It just kicked in late in the night, and I had the medicine head in the morning. Plus when it did kick in, I snored twice as loud and wouldn't follow husbands urges to "switch positions".
    I would love to just get it all sorted, but like most things, there isn't a quick fix to it all.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I used to use melatonin but didn't like the morning fog feeling.
    now use these- work faster and no morning fog the next morning. No water needed so keep them on the night stand. Take 4, if you are still awake in 15 min, take 4 more.
    Great also for stressful times during the day, (like dentist appointments)

https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Phosphates-Exhaustion-Irritability-Sleeplessness/dp/B0001TMHLK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3E3W4JO162L9Y&amp;keywords=hylands+biochemic+phosphates&amp;qid=1651772242&amp;rdc=1&amp;sprefix=Hylands+bio,aps,137&amp;sr=8-5

Other places have them too- some better prices but that is decent for 1000 tablets.

Debbie

Interesting! I will check them out. Hylands is the brand I used to buy their teething tablets for the boys. Thanks for the info!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

That is exactly how I first heard about that brand- They worked great for our son and for the daycare kids since then.
    They also have other ones that are great- leg cramps, allergy, etc.
    All work quick with no side effects.
  • Whidislander
    edited May 2022
    Allie, awe accidents happen! Breathe friend! Once when I was carrying my middle son down the stairs at like 1 am for a bottle making, I mis stepped so I jolted my step and he flew out of my hands! He landed in his blanket, but proceeded to roll down the stairs. It was like watching the situation in slow mo, him just "be-dunk-de-dunking" all the way down. I freaked and he looked up at me like, "what the heck just happened"!! I called urgent care, and kept him awake like they told me to. He was fine, though. I was a mess! So the take away from that little story? Kids are resilient!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,778 Member
    Tina--Thanks for sharing the pictures. Does look like a beautiful place.

Tracey--Michaela did a great job on her ceramics. What a neat thing to share and have together time.

Lisa--I love the new rooms and you look very organized. Every time I get my spare room cleaned up and things put away I start a new project or start Christmas shopping and fills it up again.

Allie--Sending prayers, that all is well. I remember when my sister's son was only about 3-4 months old we were coming back to her house. She lived in a trailer and did not have the key to the front door. So she sit him on the step and went around back to open the door. Well when she opened the front door she hit the carrier ( this was 1977) and it and baby went flying across the yard. Scared us both, but he was fine. I am sure Miles will be fine also.

Well it is Friday and going to be a busy weekend. Tomorrow we have our yearly fund raiser ride for our Christian motorcycle group. We plan to ride with several groups in Nebraska. Well be an chilly start but is to warm up to 75. See how DH feels on how far we will ride. Good thing is if he gets tried out I can drive home. Then church on Sunday with the grandkids.

Happy Mother's day Sunday.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3 Where the rain has stopped for a couple days.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 52min 32sec, 108elev, 87ahr, 130mhr, 8.82mi= 828c
    Strava app = 1005c

Total cal 828
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Heading up to mom's for the weekend. Foodbank/food program early tomorrow morning- up at 4:30AM-love helping but not being up that early. Hope I sleep ok- usually have a hard time getting to sleep up there(have my pills already packed-used to keep a bottle up there in the room I used but the new room mate took that over so no idea where my stuff was put, or where I am sleeping tonight)
    Memorial service for a lady from the church there- Fern passed away at 99yrs old. I get to see my best friend there.
    Church with mom Sunday.
    Nephews have been there for the past two weeks and leaving Sunday- Hopefully they got a lot of work done for mom. I know it wasn't as much as she wanted. Nothing seems to go the way she plans/time management issues my dh says.
    Will come home Monday morning in time for my daycare girl to come home.
    Going to go cut some roses for mom- I have one long stem red rose bush that has a lot to pick.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies-

Debbie
    Napa Valley, but heading up to Alexander Valley
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    For all of y'all with children in the U.S., Happy Mother's Day this Sunday! My daughter told me she bought me a card today, which is fairly typical. My son will text me on Sunday if his fiancee' reminds him. My husband and I will avoid being anywhere near a restaurant on Sunday, because it's insanity on Mother's Day. And I'm not his mother. :wink:

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

It's mother's day here in Australia and in Canada too. :)

I've been thinking about my mother and grandmothers recently ... hence the photos.

Machka: I do hope that you get your wish to see your parents. In truth, we are bound to display some traits from both family lines throughout our lives.
    ☘ Terri

As it happens, my parents look similar too. :)

An older photo of them ...

m6ik0z3nd4bf.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited May 2022
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DH tripped going down concrete steps between our parking lot and driveway. He has painful bruises, especially his ribs. For now he is resting. I hope he can get medical advice from his doctor. I tripped in that area myself a couple of years ago. I want to see a grab rail there.

If his ribs are really sore, you should take him in for X-rays to check that they're just bruised and not broken.

And yes ... get that railing!
  • Machka9
    Allie - many hugs for you and Miles, honey, keeping a good thought, please keep us posted.

Re: hair... If it was humanly possible to do so, I have washed my hair every day of my life, barring hospitals and camping, etc. For the last year, though, I've been moving toward five times a week, then three, and I'm down to one. I lost almost a third of my hair during the malnutrition phases of the last couple years, and what I had left was getting very brittle. Washing it daily was making it worse, and it wasn't like I was getting sweaty or dirty.

Now that I'm starting to get a little more active, I wash it on Sunday and then either skip it, rinse it only, or condition it only the rest of the week. There are tons of wispy hairs coming back in, so I have hope that I'll get my thick head of hair back.

[
    Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

I wash my hair once a week, most weeks anyways- Saturday nights so it looks it's best for church, now that I am going back in church instead of just online. Since I have started doing this my hair is not as dry/frizzy/split ends. It is very long, well past my waist when wet and super curly ringlets.
    First few days it is natural then I brush it and put it in a braid.
    A few months after I got covid and dad died(both at the same time) I noticed I was loosing my hair really bad. Did 13 blood tests- all came back ok- doctor says it is stress or could be from the virus.
    By the time I contacted her and got started on treatment, I had lost at least 1/3 of my hair.
    She told me to use Rogain( I use the generic from Amazon) It took two boxes(six months worth) to really notice for me but with shorter hair, I am sure results can be seen sooner, like at three months.\ Thankfully it looks fuller than it is. No one noticed the hair loss except when it was wet. It also looked like I was loosing even more when I would clean my brush out because of it being so long.

Debbie

I wash mine each work-in-the-office day but not on weekends and only a few of the work-at-home days.

Mine is hip-length although I do get it cut to waist length sometimes.

When my husband had his accident, I lost a lot of hair ... I especially noticed it when I braided it for a bicycle ride a few months later. My thick braid had become a little rat tail. However, after a few more months, it grew in again and if anything, it's curlier now.

If you're on Facebook, like/follow Ideas & Fun ... they often post interesting garden and house things but they posted this yesterday ...

5qq30uc71t75.png

Out of the whole collection, I liked this one the best and thought I could almost do that myself ...

4hdjhpnrnihb.png

Machka in Oz
  • Whidislander
    5wnl4fp9iwi4.jpg
    My daughter in law💖
    uo4wcrruk1q7.jpg
    Athena💖
    Two peas in a pod huh? Looking forward to spoiling the daughter in law for her birthday in June. Told her I would make her biscuits and gravy.👍💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa