May 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @kgirlhart – Good luck with your May streaking challenge. Maybe @7lenny7 should sign up for that one…..

@Teresa502 perhaps I should sign up for one of these races.
    https://www.runningintheusa.com/details/88204
    I'm guessing you don't get a shirt for entering these.

@polskagirl01 that hike with your son sounds fabulous! I think logging the hike has an easy run is very justifiable particularly when there's a lot of elevation involved. Your body doesn't know miles or pace, it only knows stress and I think they're comparable in that regard.

@Scott6255 I can't even imagine hitting 221 spm, even on a downhill.
    @martaindale I think a variety of shoes is beneficial. In both road and trail shoes I have varying drops from 0 to 10mm, and varying levels of cushion. I have 7 pair in active rotation.
    @Faebert ouch! Glad your back to running and welcome back.
    Hey @eleanorhawkins ! that mountain HM sounds wonderful. EC3 does not!

Regarding the 6 year old marathoner - I don't it was a good idea but I also don't have that much of a problem with it. First, there's no way you're going to get a 6 year to complete a marathon unless he wanted to finish it, I don't care what you're parenting style is. Secondly, your body has a way of shutting down to protect itself and I don't think a 6 year old has the wherewithal to push past that. Finally, the family didn't *run* it. They took 8.5 hours to finish, which is a pace of 19.5 minutes per mile. He'll recover. He'll be fine. Of course, this is coming from a guy who ran 5 miles with a ruptured tendon in his foot and who told his son to keep playing basketball for two games with a painful wrist when we later found out he had a fracture, so make of that what you will.

So much for our cool spring. Some forecasts have us getting to 97F next Wednesday! That's just nasty.

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Hey @eleanorhawkins ! that mountain HM sounds wonderful. EC3 does not!

Yeah, these mountain races are very addictive! I say they're like childbirth, they hurt like hell when you're doing them but after the pain wears off you only remember the good bits. EC3... don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy and an impressive athlete (he's doing an ironman this weekend while still having a messed up neck from having been hit by a car while on his bike a couple of weeks ago) but he isn't a coach, and his style of training doesn't work for a perimenopausal slow woman **rolls eyes**

@polskagirl01 I also agree with everyone about the hike... I include my rare incursions up the mountain as 'elevation training runs' even though there is very little scope for me to run on our goat tracks!

@martaindale the thought of snakes being a normal thing for you makes my skin crawl! Someone turned the heating on again here and I'm planning to run 10-12 tomorrow so will be copying you and praying for sprinklers. Doubt I'll find any out in the hills though... I've been tempted a couple of times recently to just turn down towards the beach and run straight into the sea. This summer's not-quite-marathon training may see me end up doing just that!

So much catching up to do, so many things I have meant to comment on then forgotten, hugs and likes all round!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited May 2022
    @Faebert - @Scott6255 is right. You have had a rough couple of years so be gentle on yourself. I’m glad you took some time off to heal after your nasty fall. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will eventually get back to your usual fit self.

@eleanorhawkins – You have been a busy bee. Good to see you back with us! Glad your dad is doing good and that you are getting to visit your family.

@Scott6255 – I have no advice because I have only visited there once, but have to say that I love Barcelona! The Sagrada Familia is a must see.

Oh my goodness @7lenny7! Who even knew that category of races existed!
  • 7lenny7
    edited May 2022
    @Scott6255 I just sent my daughter a text asking about Barcelona. She spent a summer interning there about 4 years ago and loved it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Scott6255 I just sent my daughter a text asking about Barcelona. She spent a summer interning there about 4 years ago and loved it.

@Scott6255 lol...
    eh69aoyt7h9o.png
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Ha thanks @7lenny7! Your daughter's picture makes me smile :D
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    By the way, @eleanorhawkins great stuff you're doing. Good decision about EC3. Nice races coming up, and you're basically just rocking all of it. 😎 Awesome.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Oh, interesting @quilteryoyo. My boyfriend bought a condo near-ish to Cape Canaveral. I will have to check this out as a possible convenient destination race! I love the space theme.

I also haven't been commenting but reading along when I can. Always love to see what everyone is up to even when I don't have a lot of time or energy to comment.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/22 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    05/02/22 :::: 1.9 :::: 5.0
    05/03/22 :::: 2.0 :::: 7.0
    05/04/22 :::: 1.8 :::: 8.8
    05/05/22 :::: 1.8 :::: 10.6
    05/06/22 :::: 0.0 :::: 10.6
    05/07/22 :::: 5.0 :::: 15.6

The "re-commit to running" plan that my friend and I began went pretty well this week. We planned short runs, with the goal being consistency rather than distance. This week our goal was just 20 minute runs together at least 3 times. Today we did our "long" run, and that also went ok. It all seems so little but the mental part of saying not today, I'm too tired/stressed/don't have time is what is the hardest to overcome right now. And 20 minutes of running is achievable enough that I can say yes, I can squeeze that in.