No desire .. none...zippo...zilch...nada...

SO we have an eliptial machine sitting in our living room which my SO uses on a regualr basis. I would LOVE to have his motivation but HATE HATE HATE the thing.:explode: Any tips out there to help me get myself "into" wanting to get on it and stay on it for more than 2 minutes would be helpful!! :yawn:

Replies

• It's not about desire. It's about discipline. The first time I got on the elliptical, I barely made it to five minutes. The key is having a warm up period. Give yourself five minutes at a very slow pace (around 3.0 mph). After the five minutes, go up to 3.5 - 4.0 and keep that up as long as you can. Once you can't, go back to the slow pace. Soon, you'll be able to go on longer, and it will feel amazing.
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    If you hate it, forget it! Try free weights, runing walking, gym, swimming anything. Do something you dont hate. good luck
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    the elliptical is the best machine out there to burn calories which is also low impact.

You need to find your own motivation.....which may be the 60 pound loss you want..but you have to start somewhere..maybe doing babysteps..Each day..add 2 more minutes to your workout..and voila..you will be at 30 minutes on the thing in no time.

Everyone has to start somewhere...but in the end..you either want to lose the weight or not...
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    If an elliptical isn't your "thing" (it certainly isn't mine), then find out what WILL work for you.
    For me, I LOVE walking. I started taking break walks and have started to incorporate nature hiking into my schedule.
    I also love swimming, so I joined some friends at her home and did water aerobics twice a week.

Later on, when you've done things that you LOVE consistently, then maybe you'll feel motivated to try out the elliptical later.

Find what works for YOU, not what someone else's idea of fun.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Why force yourself to do something you hate rather than trying to find something you love?
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    "To each their own..." may sound cliché but it does hold some truth.

That machine works for him.
    Perhaps its just not your thing. I'm only guessing that because I read the word "HATE" three times :tongue:

So ask yourself, if that elliptical machine did not exist in your house. What could you see yourself doing for a good burn?
  • Making excercise part of a routine helps. You don't have to work up the desire to brush your teeth, it's just part of your routine, it has to be done. That being said, where is it written you HAVE to do the elliptical? If you really hate it, can you do some other type of excercise? Walk, swim, Zumba or fitness videos..... If you are that adverse to it, it will be even harder to make excercise a regular thing. Much easier to stick with something you like.
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Sometimes you just need to be distracted while on the elliptical, watching a show or movie you really like. I also liked to watch music videos when I would do the elliptical (VH1 had music videos on in the am when I would work out). Best of luck!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    It's not about desire. It's about discipline.

This
    you either want to lose the weight or not...

and this.

It doesn't come for free, force yourself on it and over time it may grow on you, or find an alternative low impact exercise. I personally recommend walking.
  • If there is anyway you can get outside, that's what I would encourage. Walk to your mailbox, walk to the end of your street, driveway, anywhere you can. You don't have to walk a mile or 5 right off the bat. It's all about persistence and patience. Each day it will get a little easier and before you know it you will find yourself walking a long way. If that's not possible, join a gym or like the other reply, just start out slow on the ellipitcal you already have. I HATE exercising at home, but one thing that will help you I think is do it in front of a tv or listen to your ipod, mp3 player, etc. I have to have music to motivate me.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    If you hate it, forget it! Try free weights, runing walking, gym, swimming anything. Do something you dont hate. good luck

100% agree with this. if you are going to exercise, you have to find something you at least somewhat enjoy. doing something you don't enjoy at least a little bit will become a drag.

Let me add that you can lose weight without any exercise. exercise has its benefits, but nutrition is way more important in the weight loss battle. I didn't do any exercise during my first 2 1/2 months of my healthy lifestyle journey. I lost 21-23 pounds during that period. I then added exercise and ultimately increased the intensity of the exercise that I am doing...but I am enjoying the exercise and challenging myself with different things.
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Yes, definitely agree with the others....if the elliptical is not your thing stay away from it, it will only make you hate exercising even more! I see your name says your from Harrisburg? If that is Harrisburg, PA try a Zumba class! Im from the area and there are some wonderful instructors around here! :o)
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Since the whole point of this program is maintainability, if you absolutely despise the elliptical, don't beat yourself up about it. I take walks (pushing harder and harder) every day over lunch at work (I bring my lunch, anyway -- it'sthe only way to eat the way that I should), do calisthenics (which I DON'T enjoy, but need for strength-training and toning - until I manage a gym membership), etc. I DO have an elliptical, but it's what I use when I can't find something more interesting to do (pouring outside, etc.).

Find something that you can do long-term, or you'll give up.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    get a bike, and try that.. dont do something you hate
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    I would like to agree with all the posts saying do something you love and avoid the exercises you don't enjoy.

I cant think of one structured exercise that i can honestly say i love or even enjoy all of the time, more often than not its willpower and determination to stay on track that gets me out and about or on some stupid machine.

If exercise is the fountain of pleasure it is sometimes made out to be on here then why do we all have weight to lose? Sure it gives a good buzz and can clear your head but "love"? really?

Perhaps its just me who thinks like that.
    Let me add that you can lose weight without any exercise. exercise has its benefits, but nutrition is way more important in the weight loss battle.

As above if you really cant force yourself onto that machine then don't, you can lose the weight without it, its just going to help things along.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Why force yourself to do something you hate rather than trying to find something you love?

Agreed!

You'll never stick with it if you don't like what you're doing. I really don't like the elliptical, so I don't use it. Find out what you like to do. Something you'll look forward to doing & get to it! :smile:
  • Discipline is definitely what I lack and what I envy so much about him. He just does it. Gets up and does it. No complaining etc. Me? I look at it and think "What else could I be doing right now." <sigh> :mad: