Tilapia vs Salmon?

I have seen Salmon (spelled right?) alot lately in diets. Is there alot of difference in that vs Tilapia? I thought Tilapia was the best

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Tilapia is a very mild tasting white fish and has nowhere near the nutritional value of salmon.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    It comes down to flavor and preference.

My opinion, nothing beats fresh, wild caught PACIFIC salmon. Farmed Atlantic salmon is white fish in disguise.

Tilapia is cheap, but nowhere near as good as Cod or Halibut.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grocery-store-seafood-what-to-eat-and-what-to-avoid/

Mark does a pretty good breakdown of fish and tilapia is included.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Grilled or broiled, salmon is awesome. My favorite food ever.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Salmon has a more robust fish flavor, has a good amount of fat in it, and is high in protein. Zero carbs.

Tilapia is a very light and flaky fish, has a very mild flavor to it, and is high protein with almost no fat and no carbs. Bout 1g of each per 3oz serving.

I incorporate both in my diet.
  • Tilapia is good, but salmon is MUCH better. Just google "benefits of salmon". And, if you can, eat WILD salmon, not farm-raised.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    It comes down to flavor.

My opinion, nothing beats fresh, wild caught PACIFIC salmon. Farmed Atlantic salmon is white fish in disguise.

AGREE!!! 100%!!!
  • Tilapia is lower in calories but Salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, minerals and vitamins. So Salmon packs a better nutritional punch but if you are really low in cals for the day then Tilapia is your friend. Be sure you are still getting your omega-3's somewhere else though (other seafood, supplements).
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Salmon has omega3 that makes it the best choice.....some salmon has more then others.
    Salmon is easily the most accessible and familiar of the five top fish for omega-3s. Every supermarket carries salmon, and nearly every seafood cook has at least one favorite salmon recipe to go to. The best salmon to eat to get the most omega-3s would be king salmon, also called chinook salmon, which are wild-caught from California to Alaska. Interestingly, canned salmon is also high in this good fat. The leaner sockeyes and silver salmon are still high in omega-3s, just not so much as chinooks. Farmed salmon, which is the most common form in supermarkets, is iffy. You are what you eat, and many farmed salmon are fed land-based feed -- this lowers their omega-3 levels. Wild is best, but farmed is still OK.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    It depends on what your taste buds like. Tilapia is more mildly flavoured, whereas salmon is more fishy and has a distinct but YUMMY flavour. I love both, especially on the grill. Grilled salmon is really good on top of salad. Due to it being more expensive than salmon, that's probably why it is eaten more. Either way, both are really tasty!
  • Depends on your taste-buds. If you are not really a big fan of fish, tilapia would be better for you since it is mcuh milder. Salmon, I believe, has more of the omega-3 fatty acids that are so good for us. Still, if you aren't a big fish eater and go with the tilapia, some of those fatty acids are better than none. And fish is way lower in the bad fats than beef or most pork.
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    thanks everyone. No fresh fish around here. :( Will have to get salmon and see how I like it. I really like tilapia
  • Salmon is so much better for your health. It's not that talapia is bad for you, it's just that salmon helps with your cholesterol and trigylcerides.

There many, many recipe ideas for both, just search the web.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    The more color your food has, the more nutritional value...Salmon has lots of omega 3 fatty acids, packed with protien and flavor. The brighter the color the better, watch out for color enhanced or farmed salmon. Wild salmon eat a rich diet of small fish and invertebretes in the ocean. Tilapia on the other hand are bottom feeders, meaning they eat waste that collects on the floor of the river/ocean. They are not as nutritionaly rich because of this.

Remember, you are what you eat, and that rule applies to fish too! I always choose salmon.
  • sneezles
    Salmon has a more robust fish flavor, has a good amount of fat in it, and is high in protein. Zero carbs.

Tilapia is a very light and flaky fish, has a very mild flavor to it, and is high protein with almost no fat and no carbs. Bout 1g of each per 3oz serving.

I incorporate both in my diet.

Tilapia has 2.3gm of fat in a three ounce serving and is high in omega6 fat. Farmed tilapia also contains methyl testosterone which they are fed to create pseudo males for larger fish. They are also and invasive species to the US and have destroyed habitats...
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    You eat them for different reasons: salmon has all kinds of omega 3s and other nutrients in it, but wild caught is best for those nutritive values and taste (and that is expensive) - tilapia is a bottom feeder fish and does well in farms, and this means that you can get tilapia much cheaper while still getting some really tasty lean protein. I eat a lot of tilapia and snapper for protein and splurge on salmon when I can afford it for a natural source of the good fats.

Salmon, along with other cold water fish (like cod) are going to be your best bets for good fats. The other thing that you need to watch with fish that aren't bottom feeders (ie, they eat other fish and are higher on the food chain) is the mercury content - this is one reason it's not great to eat too much tuna.

Edit: spelling
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Salmon reins supreme on this one. Great source of smart fats, awesome protein, and too me, more substantial in my tummy. I eat both frequently, however, so it works out well for me. Having lots of healthy options (that can be flavored and cooked differently) really helps keep people on track.
  • Salmon is best but stay far away from farmed salmon, buy wild or stick with tilapia. I live in salmon country and we have a bumper sticker here "Friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"

:)
  • sneezles
    The other thing that you need to watch with fish that aren't bottom feeders (ie, they eat other fish and are higher on the food chain) is the mercury content - this is one reason it's not great to eat too much tuna.

That is true of albacore but tonogol tuna is fine to eat frequently.
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    I eat both. They both have different taste. I eat wild salmon a lot...high in Omega-3, protein etc. but sometimes I like mixing my fish up..and the next on the line is Tilapia.