Bell pepper issue…help!!!

zfitgal
zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
Hi,
I have been logging and tracking everything for so long and I just looked at my nutrition and I’m eating thousands of carbs every day. I didn’t understand. I just checked and I noticed that one bell pepper is 510 grams of carbs. Does that make sense? I buy a regular pepper and cook it. I had two peppers tonight and I’m over a thousand grams right there. Does that make sense? Someone help me here lol

I want my carbs and protein to somewhat near eachother.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I looked it up and found anywhere from 5.5 to 7.1g carbs for a medium pepper. Just Google "bell pepper carbs usda" and then choose a different entry from the database.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    You're using a bad database entry.

Search for "Peppers, sweet, green, raw" or "Peppers, sweet, red, raw" or "Peppers, sweet, yellow, raw"
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Thanks..my pepper ranges from 110-130 grams. I’m glad its an error then
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    You need to vet your entries. A regular sized bell pepper has around 9 grams of carbohydrates, 6 of which are fiber.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Bell peppers - what we elsewhere call capsicums, right?

No way they are 510 carbs each :o

My Australian nutrition info says 4.25 carbs per average size capsicum.

I guess sizes vary, perhaps your average size ones are slightly bigger and it was supposed to be 5.10
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    This is like the infamous garlic. Think that’s been deleted from the database now but that caught many of us out! 🤣
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    This thread title never fails to make me laugh. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    Bell peppers - what we elsewhere call capsicums, right?

No way they are 510 carbs each :o

My Australian nutrition info says 4.25 carbs per average size capsicum.

I guess sizes vary, perhaps your average size ones are slightly bigger and it was supposed to be 5.10

Just for clarification, in the U.S., we only call the "sweet" (i.e., not spicy/hot) capsicums bell peppers. I think (but could easily be wrong) that in some parts of the English-speaking world, capsicum refers not only to bell peppers but to hot peppers as well, which in the U.S. are called chilis/chiles (or chili/chile peppers)?

Either way, as you say, definitely not 510 grams of carbs in a single pepper/capsicum.
  • paperpudding
    In Australia capsicums are not spicy hot.

Capsicums (bell peppers?) and chilli's (hot peppers?) are not the same thing.
  • JoshIsRunning
    JoshIsRunning Posts: 22 Member
    I have issues with bell peppers, too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited May 2022
    Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option.

BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

HOWEVER, I did not see this glitch in several options for the admin-created "Peppers, sweet, red, raw" and "Peppers, sweet, green, raw" entries.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

Here in England (where the English Language originated, surprisingly…) we have Peppers (red, green, orange & yellow) and we have Chillies (red, green - Jalapeños, Birds Eye, Scotch Bonnet etc) I’m not sure where the ‘Bell’ part came from…they don’t look like bells?

They’re all clearly the same family (capsicums) but also very different things. There is nothing that we actually call ‘a capsicum’.

Peppers, depending on their colour, are sweet ranging to more bitter, but never spicy. Chillies obviously are mild to super hot.
  • paperpudding
    very interesting BarbaraHelen - mostly in Australia we use same terms as UK - but we call what you are describing as peppers as capsicums

so while you have peppers and chillies, we have capsicums and chillies.

neither of which have 500 carbs each. ;)
  • lynn_glenmont

Thanks for the clarification.