Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Which weight loss method is the most successful?

Replies

• Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I've been on quite a few 'diets' they failed.
    What has worked for me is counting calories and playing around with macros and meal times so I feel satiated.
    Also drumming into my head that it's a lifestyle not a temporary fix.
    Something I can maintain and enjoy - being hungry and missing out on life because I'm dieting doesn't work.
    I log it and move on.
  • LilMsEnergy1
    LilMsEnergy1 Posts: 49 Member
    Habit, it is just another item on the daily to do list. Depending on how it is important to you.

First is defining what your fitness, health goal is and how your going to get there. What this looks like in practice.

Prepare food in advance everyday to ensure it falls within calorie allowance. Etc.

The doing tasks can become tedious, boring overtime. How do we keep meal prep and calorie counting fun and exciting? (Now that's a personality thing) 🤦🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️ maybe that's the thing..... calorie count andcmeal prep to suit your personality might = success....
  • matt9712
    matt9712 Posts: 50 Member
    With so many different types of diets I would say the biggest key to success is you. If you are able to eat what you actually enjoy, maintain a calorie deficit and stay active your more apt to be successful.
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Dirty Keto has been the most useful for me.
    Turns out that making sure I had the right amount of healthy fat, protein and fiber was what my body needed to keep me from eating when I thought I wanted to.
    IF has helped a lot to with reducing bloating, inflammation and pain which in turn has made my workouts better.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Thanks for all the comments from everyone, it's good to hear all your opinions.

Next up is something that is likely to be controversial - in a recent study the "best diet" as they say is...

Vegan

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/diets/1606711/Weight-loss-best-diet-vegan-plant-based-how-to-lose-weight-fast-study
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments from everyone, it's good to hear all your opinions.

Next up is something that is likely to be controversial - in a recent study the "best diet" as they say is...

Vegan

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/diets/1606711/Weight-loss-best-diet-vegan-plant-based-how-to-lose-weight-fast-study

You asked what we think is most successful, not which diet has you lose the fastest. I see a lot of newbs on here thinking to lose fast. Those of us that have been around here a while know that's doomed to failure--yo-yoing and binging, if not an ED. I consul patience and going slow. It's not exciting and not click-bait, but tends to work long term.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    If losing weight fast is the success criteria then surely a concentration camp diet would be the "best"?

It's a sad reflection on dieting culture that results over a short period of time are defined as best.
    Lol, actually just commit a heinous crime and go to jail for awhile. Almost guaranteed weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    noom is just a fancier version of MFP.

I personally think MFP (or other calorie counting app) is the most straight forward but I recognize it's not for everyone :smile: I think it can be really unhealthy (mentally) for a lot of people.

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, IMO the best diet is really good therapy.

Weight loss is all about behaviour, and really effective therapy is great for permanently modifying behaviour. Also, eating is a profoundly emotional experience, and maladaptive eating patterns typically have an emotional maladaptation basis: stress, comfort, lack of motivation, family of origin eating patterns, etc.

If someone has a really healthy relationship with food, eating, and their body, then eating for health becomes pretty easy, no complicated rules required.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Here's some research into intermittent fasting (well, kinda fasting since you are allowed some food on the two consecutive days per week vs fasting (again, with food) for one day per week). The people who have two fasting days have an increased intake for the other 5 days a week so the average intake is the same for both groups.

The group doing two days/week of reduced intake (roughly 1/3 normal intake) had an average loss of 7.1 kg vs 4.6 kg , which is a 7.1% vs 5.2% reduction in weight. The study was for 4 weeks.

So if you can handle two consecutive days of eating 1/3 of your normal intake you might want to try this and get a 36% boost in weight loss. I wonder what effect adding vegan would have as well.

https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12937-022-00790-0
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Just do it. That’s it. Same for quitting smoking. Face reality. Do the work. Intermittent fasting, keto, vegan, noom, mfp — doesn’t matter what tools you use, you just have to commit to your health. It’s really, really hard. You have to focus on it, develop good habits. Forgive yourself for failing, keep trying. MFP is a really useful FREE tool to help folks stay focused, aware, motivated, but it comes down to you choosing every day to be as healthy as you can in ways that are doable and sustainable.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    The most successful is the one you stick to and that’s different for everyone

Myself it’s following weekly deficits so I can enjoy my weekends. Also I just naturally eat 16:8
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    Define successful? Is it just to reach a goal weight? IMO, successful would be to lose and STAY there. But so many reach goals then regain. So is that considered a successful method or temporary fix?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    the one that works for you
  • BuellerFerrisBueller
    BuellerFerrisBueller Posts: 35 Member
    My vote is for my two weight loss programs.

The first weight loss program is called summer. This is the most wonderful time of the year for losing weight, because it brings a smaller appetite AND more chances to exercise. Maintaining a calorie deficit is so easy.

The second weight loss program is called the No Junk Food Diet. I've been on this program for over 2 years. It consists of ditching the junk foods and restaurant foods and eating only real foods instead. Yes, I've increased the quantity and variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and probiotic foods in my diet. My motivation wasn't my weight, my figure, or my blood cholesterol. Instead, I need all the immune system support and anti-inflammatory support I can get.

My No Junk Food Diet works wonders at enhancing summer weight loss AND reducing winter weight gain. Getting back to what I weighed in March 2020 would require gaining 30 pounds. Even at my peak weights of the early spring of this year and last year, I was still nearly 20 pounds short of my pre-pandemic weight.
  • BuellerFerrisBueller
    BuellerFerrisBueller Posts: 35 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Sometimes I really miss the disagree button. :)

I did the complete opposite of @BuellerFerrisBueller. I tried to stay in a deficit through all the seasons, didn't exercise any less or more depending on said season, and definitely didn't give up "junk" food.

How do you get as much exercise when it's 20 below as you do when it's 80 above? And how can enough food for 80-degree weather be enough food when it's 20 below?