WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2022

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    . My rational for the cost of it all is that we will never be doing it again. And we aren't getting any younger.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I feel that if it makes one happy, no rationale or justification is necessary. Sounds like a fabulous journey.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    kevrit wrote: »
    Was awakened by a student I had when subbing this morning. He is a third grader and brought me a single white rose in a water bottle for Mother’s Day. Melted my heart.💕

RvRita in Roswell, NM

That is so sweet. Would have made me teary for sure.

Tina in CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    Pg. 21. I’m heading to ENT for allergy testing….AGAIN!

RvRita
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Heather and Lisa
    Why do I need to do lunges? Very good question. On one side is the fact that my knee is slightly crooked, which no amount of exercise will fix. So maybe I should just give it up.

On the other hand, I just want my whole knee to be stronger. If this is a weakness, I should try to work on it, no?

I think I can learn to do lunges if I start off gently enough. Lunges and squats make up a lot of the home bodyweight leg exercises. I want to give lunges one more try before I avoid them altogether. Because I feel challenged.

But thanks for asking. I'm adjusting my attitude from determination to just exploring. So that's already better.

Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Well I had all sorts of grandeous ideas for myself today..but im just tired ..so it wont be today.. took Alfie and we went and got Homer out.. and I got my mail.. will put fresh sheets on the bed and hopefully get my vacuumed comforters down to the storage room.. but i feel i need a nap.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited May 2022
    Heather and Lisa
    Why do I need to do lunges? Very good question. On one side is the fact that my knee is slightly crooked, which no amount of exercise will fix. So maybe I should just give it up.

On the other hand, I just want my whole knee to be stronger. If this is a weakness, I should try to work on it, no?

I think I can learn to do lunges if I start off gently enough. Lunges and squats make up a lot of the home bodyweight leg exercises. I want to give lunges one more try before I avoid them altogether. Because I feel challenged.

But thanks for asking. I'm adjusting my attitude from determination to just exploring. So that's already better.

Annie in Delaware

If lunges are a weakness you should try to work on it?

No.

Just because certain exercises exist doesn't mean we should do them.

Exercises like lunges need to be done so carefully in order not to do damage. I tend to avoid them for that reason. I also do modified squats rather than traditional ones to avoid hurting my knees.

Have you seen a sports doctor or physiotherapist about your knee?

Where does your knee hurt?

What triggered the pain?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Annie - I used to have the 'worst knee in the world' and have strengthened it hugely without lunges, or squats. The exercises my physio and the hospital gave me contained neither. I could not even get jn a car seat without manually lifting my knee. Now it functions perfectly for everyday life, as long as I don't overstress or twist it.

Stand on one leg and raise and lower yourself a bit. I also do small side lifts with the other leg at the same time and raise 2kg weights sideways with my arms. 15
    Clamshells. These were the first ones I was given by the physio. Vital. 20
    Side leg raises lying down. 20 alternate days.
    Bridges. 4 And one leg mini bridges. I do 40 on each leg.

I do these every day without fail along with all my other exercises. (Rowing, cycling, cross-trainer, press ups, yoga, occasional runs) They have saved my life.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Those are some of the exercises my physiotherapist and learn to run coach have recommended. :)

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    edited May 2022
    Stats for the day

walk w/family- 1hr 51min 25sec, 65elev, 89ahr, 108mhr, 6.21mi= 544c
    Strava app = 707c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 1hr 12min 47sec, 167elev, 77aw, 16.6amph, 118ahr, 139mhr, 20.12mi= 455c
    Strava app = 319c
    Zwift stats- 1hr 12min 49sec, 170elev, 76aw, 62arpm, 16.56amph, 20.1mi= 319c

Total cal 999

Furthest distance on the bike trainer
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Well i didnt do a whole lot today..except get the bed made and feed the dog.. so there is that.. im up early to go take care of Miles
    Picked up a few things but that was it.. take Tracy and Carmine to hairdresser tomorrow afternoon.
  • sh0tzz99
    Annie - I used to have the 'worst knee in the world' and have strengthened it hugely without lunges, or squats. The exercises my physio and the hospital gave me contained neither. I could not even get jn a car seat without manually lifting my knee. Now it functions perfectly for everyday life, as long as I don't overstress or twist it.

Stand on one leg and raise and lower yourself a bit. I also do small side lifts with the other leg at the same time and raise 2kg weights sideways with my arms. 15
    Clamshells. These were the first ones I was given by the physio. Vital. 20
    Side leg raises lying down. 20 alternate days.
    Bridges. 4 And one leg mini bridges. I do 40 on each leg.

I do these every day without fail along with all my other exercises. (Rowing, cycling, cross-trainer, press ups, yoga, occasional runs) They have saved my life.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Same exercises I was given for knee issues. Plus quad raises and twisted quad raises (I don't know what they are called).

Tina in CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Back in NC. Now to decipher all my notes from when I was away. There was so much more that I wanted to comment on. Decided not to log but try to make good choices. Didn't always succeed, either.

At the first hotel the treadmill kept cutting out and stopping for no apparent reason so I decided to use the elliptical instead. There was something wrong - it wasn't smooth. So I wound up using the exercise bike. When I got back, Vince said to me "there is no way you can take a shower and have breakfast by 8". Oh ye of little faith. I was ready to go by 7:55. HE wasn't ready.

Chetah - welcome

Went to the Salvation Army in Iowa and got a few exercise DVD's and a pair of shorts. I can't remember if I have red shorts at the condo or not.

Sent a text to Denise wishing PJ a happy birthday. She sent me a text (after calling the house. Why I don't know. She knew we were in Iowa) wishing me a happy mother's day. No card. I sent her a text wishing her a happy mother's day.

Karen VA - we have an air pump that plugs into a cigarette lighter and we use it all the time. Tires and also inflatables.

Allie - kids are made of steel with a rubber coating. Glad Miles is OK. The pediatrician was probably CYA

Katla (((HUGS)))

I've learned that I need to do HIIT. Saves time (I can do in 1/2 hr what usually takes a full hour) Rori - you've probably encountered this. Breakfast is not so great. Fitness centers are minimal. I did forget my headphones but no one seemed to mind that I had the radio on my phone going. Wish they had decent things on the breakfast. Like one hotel had oatmeal. Personally, I would have preferred original but all they had was maple brown sugar. Oh well......

pip - so sorry to hear about Yogi, but glad it's the non-spreading type

Terri - lovely card. Colby's mom just bought a few like that. They were $10 EACH

It felt so good to be back to exercising. Now I won't be able to...waaaa

Ginny - prayers for your friend.

Tracey -0 wow! what a family. Michaela paints her ceramics better than I do. I usually go by the "5 foot rule" If it looks good from 5 feet away, it's OK

Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate

Allie - happy birthday to lil

I like ebooks. This way I don't have to worry about returning the books on time

Lisa - will have to try the "save draft". How do you get to it? Didn't you know that's how I drink tea?

To me, this was silly. The fitness center opens at 6 but I was always able to use it earlier, someone just had to open the door. Why they don't just leave it open and you need to use your room card to get in, is beyond me.

I just watched the streamed video of the graduation. You know, again I was crying just seeing Jess get her hood.

Did a load of laundry so now we can close the hamper....lol

Work tomorrow (boo). Then will put as much as we can possibly get of Jess' things into her storage unit. We were going to bring a ladder, but that was one of the things we brought back so we'll have a ladder to use.

Michele NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    :)
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,304 Member
    Vicki-I believe you are thinking of Kylia in Ohio (she lives about 30 miles west of me). They own a mower repair business.

Michelle NC-glad you have made it home safely. Glad you got to be with Jess.

Allie-there is nothing wrong with an occasional lazy day. You have been doing a lot lately.

Lisa-I love the save draft function (I only use forums from computer)

Lunges-I use my bosu ball for them. Doing them with that helps with my balance. Also love the stretch I get from them.

Friend may get out of hospital tomorrow. Evidently they are going to continue trying to medicine before surgery. I am not sure exactly all they did today-tried to drain fluid somehow (she sent a bit of information to several of us and we are trying to get the whole picture). She sent me voice message and her voice sounded good-said she will be calling after she gets settled at home. I don't know if it is a traditional foot infection or arthritis related or what. I must admit I am curious-I like to know what things to look for!

Bedtime for me.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Lisa - I saw this today and thought of you.

v8gu9rxc4gl5.jpeg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3