May 9

Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• Caroline_slowandsteady
    Caroline_slowandsteady Posts: 842 Member
    I hope this doesn't mess anybody up, but I am posting Monday's opener on Sunday morning, because I'm not going to have time on Monday.

Happy Monday! Hope everyone's starting the week strong!

My question today is some food recommendations. I am in a bit of a food rut, as I generally am in the spring before we start getting local produce. My eating plan involves eating a lot of veggies and I just can't wait for those veggies to be fresh and local from the farmer's market! We are getting asparagus and I am loving that - but that's not enough - I want it all!

So please tell me what you eat on a good eating day, when you are within your calorie goal and also feeling satisfied and happy with your food. I'd love a whole day's actual menu, but you could also just tell me types of things or favorite meals or snacks, whatever you've got. I'll post mine after this.
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    What I ate on a good day:
    I have to go back to Thursday to find a really good day, but here it is:

Breakfast:
    - Omelet: 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, feta cheese, asparagus
    - 1 slice toasted Dave's Killer Bread thin slices with butter
    Cals: 343

Lunch (eaten early so no need for morning snack)
    - 1 slice Dave's killer bread with half a can of canned salmon, 1/2 tsp of mayo (other half saved for net day), furikake on top
    - Roasted asparagus
    - A sauce made of lemon juice, soy sauce, and chili crisp
    - 1 pear
    - 1 small piece of candied ginger
    - 1 small square of dark chocolate
    Cals: 443

Afternoon snack:
    - 1 mango, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1/2 cup cottage cheese mixed together - SO good
    - A few nibbles of pretzels and caramel corn (oops)
    Cals: 218

Dinner:
    - Burrito bowl: cauliflower rice, black beans, chopped tomatoes, guacamole, rotisserie chicken, black olives, cabbage
    Cals: 459

Bedtime snack:
    - 1/2 cup whole milk
    - 1/2 bakery cookie
    Cals: 154

Total Cals: 1617 out of my 1650 goal
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    @Caroline_slowandsteady - your day is very impressive! I can guarantee you I can’t top that, but this would be an example of a good day for me, pulled from last week:

Breakfast - plain Greek yogurt with granola and fruit (this is my breakfast 90% of the time)
    Lunch - romaine salad with various veggies and for protein, black beans and walnuts
    Dinner - stir fry with chicken, veggies and rice. The great thing about stir fry is practically any veggie, fresh or frozen, will do.

We do have asparagus in our garden and oh my, that is THE BEST! I can pick it and eat it raw standing there.

My snacks include an orange, banana with peanut butter, handful of peanuts (peanuts are high in calories but at night if I have enough calories left, that’s a treat for me.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    edited May 2022
    My typical/good day looks sort of like:

Breakfast:
    - Decaffeinated coffee

Cals: 0

Lunch:
    - 85 g Arugula
    - 1 tbsp homemade lemon vinaigrette
    - 10 g toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
    - 25 g homemade sourdough croutons
    - 14 g goat cheese
    - 170 g non-fat greek yogurt
    - 12 g chia seeds
    - 30 g blueberries
    - 32 g raspberries

Cals: 429

Snack:
    - 1 medium Pink Lady apple

Cals: 72

Dinner:
    - 1 serving homemade braised chard, peas, gnocchi and leeks
    - 14 g parmesan cheese
    - 1/2 serving homemade rosemary-honey almond tart
    - 45 g kettle corn
    - Decaffeinated/herbal tea

Cals: 934

Total Cals: 1435

Depending on my exercise level that day, I will adjust my deserts - perhaps a second helping of yogurt and berries in the evening and a square or two of dark chocolate instead of of the tart/popcorn.
  • SilverSage1
    SilverSage1 Posts: 54 Member
    I work, so breakfast and lunch are pretty simple. My breakfast is usually one of 3:
    Low fat yogurt and Dave’s toast
    Oatmeal and low fat milk
    Homemade egg bite and Dave’s toast

Lunch is often leftovers.
    If I don’t have leftovers, I either have
    Apple with peanut butter or
    Tuna salad sandwich

Dinner is where I get my variety.
    Usually either a big salad or lots of veggies
    A grilled or blackened or roasted protein.
    I eat seafood about 5 times a week.
    Often make mango salsa to serve with fish, chicken or pork.
    Fish tacos in low carb tortillas once a week. Some kind of stir fry once a week.
    I rarely cook beef, just because it’s not a favorite of mine.

Snacks are grapes and cherry tomatoes. Sometimes low cal veggie crisps or similar. Sometimes leftover veggies.

Other than Dave’s bread, I don’t eat a lot of carbs. Occasionally half of a baked sweet potato or baked potato. We spilt it between us. Pasta rarely. Rice when I make a stir fry.

We eat out a LOT for dinner. I just order grilled fish and double veg, no sauce. Take half home for lunch tomorrow. (And wine).

I skip desserts except for special occasions.

Works for me.
  • Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    3xyes. Day 22 of Epic II + 9.2km run
  • atoina
    atoina Posts: 35 Member
    ✅ Exercise
    ✅ Calories within quota
    ✅ Food tracked

0/3 pass days
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Good job on 3 yeses
    @Tarann75
    @Winner_in_Life
    @atoina

Thanks for sharing about food - that's great to get some ideas!
    @biketheworld - stir fries are delightful
    @enlightenme3 - intrigued by the lemon vinaigrette and also the tart
    @SilverSage1 - mmm homemade mango salsa, that's a great idea! Recipe?
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,028 Member
    ✅✅✅ 3️⃣ pass days left

Breakfast: herbal tea, fresh fruit, soy yoghurt, granola, mixed dried berries.
    Morning coffee, plain biscuit
    Lunch: large salad or veg soup, cooked turkey/chicken with goats cheese on granary bread, coffee
    Dinner: Sun - Tues, meat+4/5 veg; Wed, casserole; Thursday, ham, salad, potatoes, boiled egg; Fri, salmon, garden peas, grilled tomato, potatoes; Sat, venison/duck/steak burgers, baked beans, grilled tomato, potatoes
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,280 Member
    May 9, 2022

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, Iron Series by Caroline Girvan
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Habits to maintain this month:
    Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Did you go "nuts" with nuts today? No (8 days -free)
    Within Sugar macro today? Yes (6 days)

Pass day 1/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).
  • eokoro
    eokoro Posts: 626 Member
    May 9th
    Exercise – yes
    Tracking – yes
    Calories – Yes
    1/3 pass days
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,517 Member
    ✅✅✅

My usual day is this:
    Breakfast around 9:30 garden of life vanilla protein mix unsweetened almond milk with frozen bananas and another frozen fruit 1/2c such as blueberries black coffee half and half with collagen powder.

Lunch a salad with 2tbsp salad dressing fresh fruit granola bar water. Maybe a wrap with hummus and fresh veggies.

Dinner plant based foods and only one serving if I have beer I have discovered some very good na beers low in carbs and taste like a beer

Plenty of water throughout the day.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,036 Member
    @snowshoe072 Share some recommendations of the NA beers that taste good? I see so many on the market now and am not sure which to pick up. Thanks! 🍺🍻
  • jmu1965
    jmu1965 Posts: 995 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 20 minutes Fabulous50’s
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
    4/3 pass days.
  • Jana_2020
    Jana_2020 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Hmm, a typical good day. @Caroline_slowandsteady For me that's a bit tough. I've used various strategies. One was to make a protein coffee to balance my sugar and then "fast" until lunch. (I'm always trying to keep my sugar balanced.) Lately I've been eating breakfast, lunch and dinner with no snacks in between. I no longer eat anything after I eat supper; I've been doing that faithfully for over a year now.
    As for what I eat, I eat a lot of different things; I'm not a "regular rotation on the menu" kind of gal. But I'll get on a kick and eat a particular menu or food constantly for a while and then not eat it again for years.

May 9 - Yes to logging and staying under, no to exercise.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,517 Member
    edited May 2022
    @jamcnewman try the Sam Adams Just the Haze . The Athletic Brewing Com make two possibly more one is Upside Dawn both are good Sam Adams is my favorite Sam has higher carbs about 22 but only around 98 calories for 12 ozs. Much less then the home brewed beer we make 🍺 enjoy!!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,790 Member
    5/9
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 👍🏻
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? 👍🏻
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? 👍🏻

(Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28

May goals
    1 Miracle Morning ~ S.A.V.E.R.S
    2 Wake up EARLY for meditation
    3 Yoga (5/6 times weekly)
    4. Minimum sweets (work them in my calorie goal)
    5. 30 day squat challenge 6. No late night snacking
    7. Daily journal logging
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,233 Member
    edited May 2022
    ✅ Exercise: 20 minutes walking, lots of yardwork. Built a raised bed with cinderblocks and mixed and filled the bed with a mix of compost, vermiculite and peat using a tarp, wheelbarrow, rakes and shovels.
    ✅ Calories
    ✅ Tracked

0 passdays used ( )

A good day for me often looks like>

1st meal around 11 or noon> Sauteed frozen spinach, kale, mustard greens or turnip greens with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Homemade soy yogurt with allulose, cinnamon and 1 oz of walnuts, perhaps also chia seeds or flax seeds. Half package of shredded cabbage and carrots, sauteed in avocado oil and with 1 T. coconut aminos stirred in.

Early evening meal> Large salad of romaine and/or spring mix with tomatos, cucumbers, alfalfa or bean sprouts, sometimes some cheddar cheese or black beans on top, dressed with homemade viniagrette with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and ranch seasonings. A low carb dish with some form of meat or fish, often bison or salmon. Usually another vegetable for a side, such onions and mushrooms sauteed in broth with marsala wine, or at times something like half a sweet potato.

Many days I also use a Muniq meal replacement shake in the afternoon as a source of resistant starch as my diet is fairly low carb yet I want to keep my good bacteria well fed. Sometimes chocolate. Othertimes vanilla with 1 cup frozen strawberries added. At one of the meals I often include a salad that is a mix (about half and half) of homemade saurkraut and broccoli sprouts. Sometimes I will have an apple with one of the meals for dessert. I also usually drink 4-6 ounces of kombucha per day. One of my goals is to get at least 3 servings of fermented foods each day, usually kombucha, yogurt and either saurkraut or kimchi.