May 9

13»

Replies

• jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,038 Member
    Monday May 9
    Oops - thought I’d already posted but don’t see it.

✅✅✅
    1 pass day used May 4
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,704 Member
    Eating patterns?
    Typical day when I’m at home:

Breakfast is cereal (wholemeal, high fibre, fortified with vitamins and minerals) with soya milk and handful of fruit. Plus a boiled egg and a slice of bread.

Lunch is salad – 100g tomatoes plus cucumber, peppers, lettuce ++…… with cold meat or small tin of tuna. A small slice of fruit loaf, toasted, with a smidgeon of marmalade.

Afternoon snack – raw carrots, a mini babybel, maybe a lentil cake

Dinner – lots of veg plus a small portion of meat or fish. Dessert is yogurt with fruit

Evening snacks: Depending on what my macros look like I may have a protein bar, a high fibre bar, or a really nice (small) piece of chocolate (or all of those if I have enough calories)

At the end of the day my calories are about 1,700 (1,500 + half exercise calories), fibre 45g, protein 95g+, calcium 100% +.
    I don’t worry about carbs, fat, sugar etc.
    I often have more than 700g of freggies over the day (9 portions)
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    pass day - Calories were over my calorie goal, but in the green on MFP so the difference was walked off by the end of the day and I still ended up with a calorie deficit.

I am bad at making notes in my planner for my UAC posts and then go days without posting. When I do that, I make quick posts, which really isn't good for me since I need to post and ask questions about areas I am struggling with and need help in. I am all caught up now, needed to post from last Thursday to Monday, and today's post of Tuesday will be posted tomorrow morning since I am back to normal.

I have noticed that my morning posts are really long because I am posting my UAC check-in info and then posting any questions or comments. Hopefully, my posts will start to settle down and not be so long, or I might need to break them up and post UAC check-in info and then later in the day post my questions in the "what's on your mind" section. I am spending too much time in the morning on MFP and posts and I need to stay on my time schedule.

• ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,233 Member
    edited May 2022
    My wife has been drinking a lot of kombucha lately, but I think the kind you buy is too high in sugar and it also has caffeine in it right? Can you make your own with less sugar and no caffeine?

@Caroline_slowandsteady All kombucha starts out with sugar (or honey) to ferment. The longer it is fermented the less sugar is in the product consumed, down to even zero sugar. I did find one commercially made that is Keto but I have not tried it. They explain on this page how they make it https://hummkombucha.com/humm-zero/ They allow it to ferment until there is no sugar. They add plant based sweeteners--- I don´t actually see the ingredients but I have some doubts about whether I would be fully comfortable with the sweetners or the price. You can definitely make your own with less sugar but the problem for me is knowing how much sugar is left. For that reason on my to do list this week is to learn how to use the refractor my son bought me and determine how much sugar there is in my various batches of kombucha.

Kombucha is actually really simple to make. If you wife is consuming a lot of kombucha you all could probably save quite a bit of money making it yourself. I started out with a kit from Amazon because it made it simple but you could just buy a gallon jar of pickles to get a gallon jar cheaper than you can from Amazon and then purchase a scoby from Amazon or Etsy and find instructions online. I now use what is called the continuous brew method which is actually easier than the batch method if you like to have kombucha on hand at all times. For that you need a 2 gallon or larger container with a spigot. We bought a more expensive crockery one but for our second one I found this quite cheap at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-2-Gallon-Glass-Beverage-Dispenser-with-Glass-Clamp-Lid I replaced the cheap plastic spigot with a metal one I got from Amazon. I have ¨The Big Book of Kombucha¨ which is excellent at explaining different options and has lots of flavoring ideas.

I believe I read that the caffiene in the tea also makes the scoby healthier and more effective. I have heard that you can make a form of caffiene free kombucha from lemongrass instead of tea. I read a studies that suggested lemongrass kombucha may have even additional health benefits. I also found this recipe for a caffiene free type of kombucha. https://www.fermentingforfoodies.com/caffeine-free-sugar-free-kombucha/

My husband and I really enjoy making and trying different flavors of kombucha. I just need to be able to figure out better how much sugar I am actually consuming. You let the kombucha ferment until it gets to the strength you want. Apparently kombucha fermented down to have no sugar is often called kombucha vinegar and can be used in place of vinegar for many things. For many people, kombucha vinegar is too strong to consume straight. Strong kombucha that has been fermented a long time ¨bites¨ the back of the throat and may make you cough.

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,346 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,031 Member
    @Caroline_slowandsteady Re veg
    Apart from Fri/Sat nights, we would have a 4 or 5 different veg with meals, which would usually cover about three quarters of the plate.
    Egs: this week
    Sun - Tues: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, parsnips, broad beans
    Wed: casserole: onion, mushrooms, celery, courgette, red peppers, carrots, parsnips, potatoes
    Thurs: lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, baby corn, red peppers, radishes, pickles
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,518 Member
    Bummer @jamcnewman will think of you when I have one !

Tracked and logged exercise minimal but done.
    My back up plan stay out of the kitchen!!
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Caroline_slowandsteady Posts: 842 Member
    Great job on 3 yeses!
    @donna25trinity
    @biketheworld
    @Maggie_MJ
    @bookieNJ
    @lesdarts180
    @Caramel_Apple - though I think you posted on the wrong day :)
    @jamcnewman
    @Marilynsretired

Good job posting regardless - on the way to Champion!
    @Elbee1

Thanks for the food ideas!
    @bookieNJ
    @SilverSage1 - that looks SO good!
    @lesdarts180
    @KCJen - I do have trouble keeping to my morning routine with UAC too. I've kind of decided that I'll do it 3 -4 times a week and that will have to be enough
    @ideas2 that sounds like a lot of fun
    @TerriRichardson112 that sounds like a great variety of veggies!
  • Jana_2020
    Jana_2020 Posts: 1,164 Member
    @Caroline_slowandsteady You can google protein coffee recipes. I make a simple one with vanilla protein powder, coffee and sometimes cashew milk. If I'm not in the mood for a smoothie, but need to balance my sugar, I'll drink this instead. I also consider this part of a fast if I'm trying to wait until lunch to eat.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,796 Member
    5/9
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 👍🏻
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? 👍🏻
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? 👍🏻

(Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9[/9]-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28

May goals
    1 Miracle Morning ~ S.A.V.E.R.S
    2 Wake up EARLY for meditation
    3 Yoga (5/6 times weekly)
    4. Minimum sweets (work them in my calorie goal)
    5. 30 day squat challenge
    6. No late night snacking
    7. Daily journal logging
  • Caramel_Apple
    Caramel_Apple Posts: 2,176 Member

*correction
    Monday
    Yes x3
    0/3pass days used

Thanks Caroline
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,759 Member
    tahm42
    no tracking this week
    Hogwarts bound
    1/3 pass days used
  • Jana_2020
    Jana_2020 Posts: 1,164 Member
    @Caroline_slowandsteady I just make a "coffee smoothie" by adding some vanilla protein powder and sometimes cashew milk to a strong cold coffee. Then I blend it in my mini blender and either add ice to drink it cold or warm it in the microwave. I wanted to try fasting but since I have low blood sugar, I need something to keep my sugar balanced and this seemed to do the trick for me.
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,483 Member
    @tahm42 -enjoy hogwarts!