Increasing calories is stressful!

I've been eating 1200 calories since August. I made goal a few weeks ago and then dipped below that by a couple pounds. I added just 50 calories. I've been walking a bunch lately and feel hungry. So I increased my calories to 1400. This is nerve racking! I know what to do: stick with 1400 for a week or two and see what happens. It's just I'm nervous!

Replies

• alisonj223
    alisonj223 Posts: 1 Member
    Increase calories. You’ll feel better
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    alisonj223 wrote: »

I ate 1200 calories, carefully measured, for 8 months and felt great. I lost 48 lbs. to get to 122 lbs. I need to increase, I think, because I'm now walking a lot more, and I don't want to continue to lose. I'm feeling a little stressed that I will gain any of it back!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    alisonj223 wrote: »

I ate 1200 calories, carefully measured, for 8 months and felt great. I lost 48 lbs. to get to 122 lbs. I need to increase, I think, because I'm now walking a lot more, and I don't want to continue to lose. I'm feeling a little stressed that I will gain any of it back!

Regardless of the walking you would need to eat more to maintain weight. 1200 calories is a weight loss calorie target...I don't know any woman who has that as a maintenance target. Most people gain a little scale weight when going to maintenance...this isn't fat...it is more inherent waste in your system from consuming more, and increased water weight from the body processing more calories.
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    I totally understand your anxiety, and I think worrying about weight gain after maintenance is quite a common concern for lots of people. You don't say how tall you are, but eating 1200 calories for 8 months seems very low. If you are now just eating 1400 calories, and walking a lot, it is little wonder you are still losing. I know it can be satisfying to see more pounds drop off, but if you genuinely want to stabilise your weight, you will need to eat more.
    When I reached my goal in 2014, I continued to lose weight for about a further 6 months. At goal, I decided to increase my calories slowly, about 100 extra a day for a month, then another 100 extra a day for the next month, and so on until my weight stabilised. That happened when I got to 2000 calories a day.
    Please try not to let anxiety stop you from eating more... like me, you might be pleasantly surprised at just how many calories you can eat, and still maintain. Go for it!