60 yrs and up

Replies

• Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Love the woodland picture Ann. Beautiful place to walk or ride a bike.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Good Morning Everyone and Welcome to all the new people. New England weather has been up and down too but nothing above 70's so far. I'm finding that weight loss in my 70's is very up and down like the weather. One day I will lose .6 of a pound and the next day I will gain a pound and a half, then stay the same and finally go down 1.8 pounds. I used to just get a steady loss or stay the same. So I have found now that I need to have patience and remember as long as I stay the same or lose by the end of the week that I am doing good. I'm only walking today. When I go out in the morning ( shopping day today) I don't seem to get back to exercise. But I will try to get my 10,000 steps in. I hope everyone is doing well. This group is the best for support, encouragement and help!!!

Judging from what I've read in the Community here, and various outside reading, that up and down pattern is the most common at any age. If you used to lose steadily, I think you may have been unusual back then. It's not from fat gain/loss, the thing we really care about. It's just shifts in water retention, and/or varied amounts of food/drink in the digestive system, on its way to becoming waste.

If you haven't previously seen it, this is a really good read:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

We see people here often post about being freaked out because they "gained" or "plateaued", and it turns out they're just stressing over normal fluctuations . . . some even get so frustrated that they rage-quit, which is dysfunctional, obviously!

What really matters is the weight trend over time. For example, if I'm meandering up and down one week between 128-132 pounds, and a couple of weeks later the range of meandering is 126-130, I'm losing fat. Fat loss shows up in the trend over multiple weeks.

If you don't have a weight-trending app, perhaps that would be useful? They aren't a magic crystal ball, but use statistics to try to estimate the direction of body weight that's being masked by those ups and downs. There's Happy Scale for Apple iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight with a free Fitbit account (you don't need a Fitbit device), Weightgrapher, and others. I use Libra.

Just FYI, here's a random sample of my Libra chart when I was losing weight quite slowly (by intention, since it was (re-)losing a few vanity pounds that had slowly crept on over about 4 years after my initial weight loss from obese to this range). The solid downhill-ish line is the estimated/statistical trend. The vertical lines connect each daily weigh-in to the trend line. Notice how the ends of the daily lines jump all over the place, above and below the trend line? This is especially visible with slow loss, but my initial loss looked pretty similar, just a steeper downhill slope to the trend when losing faster.

jvlbvlnhvvwq.png
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,380 Member
    tjjm1850 wrote: »
    Hey there. Just started myself. 62 male from VA. Lets support each other. I am attempting to lose 30 pounds. Look forward to your progress..... maybe we can challenge each other.

I'M from VA too. Tell me your name and I'll friend you. That is if you don't mind? That's the only way I can find you. My name is Belinda Matney @ chuckees130.

@chuckees130 and @tjjm1850 not from VA but am from MD, is that close enough? :) My daughter lives in Salem so I visit a couple of times a month and will be moving there in 2-3 years. Welcome to MFP.

So glad that @AnnPT77 has nice weather, it was in the 40s and rainy/windy here all weekend. BRRRRRRR! Wondering if it'll EVER warm up.
  • clarity8796
    clarity8796 Posts: 284 Member
    @BCLadybug888 - Glad to hear that I am not the only one who isn't an exercise enthusiast. I always say that I want to do the least amount possible that will allow me to get to my goal. I'd much prefer to be curled up on the couch with a book.

Thanks to all posted welcomes! I appreciate it.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Hi, I'd like to join you. I just turned 66. covid weight has been my downfall. I lost 10 lbs right before covid, then gained those 10 and then added another 20. Yikes. I'm down 11.4 pounds so I'm on my way. I refuse to add the 10 and the 20 together.

I'm tracking like crazy and cut back wine to a glass a week. I've always walked about 4 to 8 miles a day. I've just started going back to the gym. I have tendonitis in my shoulder so I'm going to physical therapy and lifting little tiny weights until things improve.

I've done this before and I'll do it again.

Lots of good wishes to all of you on reaching your goals
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Good Morning Everyone and Welcome to all the new people. New England weather has been up and down too but nothing above 70's so far. I'm finding that weight loss in my 70's is very up and down like the weather. One day I will lose .6 of a pound and the next day I will gain a pound and a half, then stay the same and finally go down 1.8 pounds. I used to just get a steady loss or stay the same. So I have found now that I need to have patience and remember as long as I stay the same or lose by the end of the week that I am doing good. I'm only walking today. When I go out in the morning ( shopping day today) I don't seem to get back to exercise. But I will try to get my 10,000 steps in. I hope everyone is doing well. This group is the best for support, encouragement and help!!!

Judging from what I've read in the Community here, and various outside reading, that up and down pattern is the most common at any age. If you used to lose steadily, I think you may have been unusual back then. It's not from fat gain/loss, the thing we really care about. It's just shifts in water retention, and/or varied amounts of food/drink in the digestive system, on its way to becoming waste.

If you haven't previously seen it, this is a really good read:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

We see people here often post about being freaked out because they "gained" or "plateaued", and it turns out they're just stressing over normal fluctuations . . . some even get so frustrated that they rage-quit, which is dysfunctional, obviously!

What really matters is the weight trend over time. For example, if I'm meandering up and down one week between 128-132 pounds, and a couple of weeks later the range of meandering is 126-130, I'm losing fat. Fat loss shows up in the trend over multiple weeks.

If you don't have a weight-trending app, perhaps that would be useful? They aren't a magic crystal ball, but use statistics to try to estimate the direction of body weight that's being masked by those ups and downs. There's Happy Scale for Apple iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight with a free Fitbit account (you don't need a Fitbit device), Weightgrapher, and others. I use Libra.

Just FYI, here's a random sample of my Libra chart when I was losing weight quite slowly (by intention, since it was (re-)losing a few vanity pounds that had slowly crept on over about 4 years after my initial weight loss from obese to this range). The solid downhill-ish line is the estimated/statistical trend. The vertical lines connect each daily weigh-in to the trend line. Notice how the ends of the daily lines jump all over the place, above and below the trend line? This is especially visible with slow loss, but my initial loss looked pretty similar, just a steeper downhill slope to the trend when losing faster.

jvlbvlnhvvwq.png

Very Interesting. Thank you for all the info. I feel better. When I was younger my knees weren't as bad and I exercised a lot more so that might account for the steady decline. I was losing fat then. Where as now although I exercise it's not as much as before so as you said I'm seeing more water weight fluctuation. I did lose 2 pounds this week. So I am very happy with that. But I appreciate the insight. I will remember that on the days that the numbers pop back up. Thank you!!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Welcome @ GoRun2. Sounds like you're well on your way to getting rid of those extra pounds, and you've already got some fitness habits soundly in place. This is a great thread for encouragement and support.
  • Pdc654
    @alteredsteve175. I'm new here but have read much of your story. An ongoing serious illness of a spouse or child has got to be the worse thing a person can go through. Caregiving is exhausting both mentally and physically. So sorry you are going through this. With depression I know taking the time and energy to exercise and eat right is the last thing you want to do. But if you can just make yourself go, the exercise in particular will probably help you feel better. After attending 5 hour long water aerobics sessions this week I'm amazed ar how good I feel. I feel happier and more energetic. I hope you have someone to talk to to help with the mental side. Please take care.
  • Pdc654
    @ridiculous59 That's so amazing! I hope I can also see an improvement in my blood work and blood pressure when I go for my annual physical this summer. A goal if mine is to get off both cholesterol and blood pressure meds. Also, wow, 15,000 steps a day! Just wow. Does that include any intentional exercise like your deep water running or intentional walk. So impressive. And I'm sure you'll get the pounds off too.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    Greetings, all. Welcome to the new folks. You've in good company here. Lots of support and encouragement.

No major changes at Casa Steve. My wife's myeloma continues to be dormant. She's still in a lot of pain. Confused and sleeping a lot. We're taking her on a road trip to her family cabin in a couple of weeks. That will be an adventure and/or an ordeal. 😁
    I'm dealing with depression and not getting enough exercise. Gaining weight slowly. I'm going to check in here more often and try to get some discipline back in my routine.

Keep up the good work, all. Your efforts are an inspiration.

Hang in there Steve! Breathe the fresh air on your “Trip”
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    GoRun2 wrote: »
    Hi, I'd like to join you. I just turned 66. covid weight has been my downfall. I lost 10 lbs right before covid, then gained those 10 and then added another 20. Yikes. I'm down 11.4 pounds so I'm on my way. I refuse to add the 10 and the 20 together.

I'm tracking like crazy and cut back wine to a glass a week. I've always walked about 4 to 8 miles a day. I've just started going back to the gym. I have tendonitis in my shoulder so I'm going to physical therapy and lifting little tiny weights until things improve.

I've done this before and I'll do it again.

Lots of good wishes to all of you on reaching your goals

Good luck!🍀
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    @ridiculous59 That's so amazing! I hope I can also see an improvement in my blood work and blood pressure when I go for my annual physical this summer. A goal if mine is to get off both cholesterol and blood pressure meds. Also, wow, 15,000 steps a day! Just wow. Does that include any intentional exercise like your deep water running or intentional walk. So impressive. And I'm sure you'll get the pounds off too.

I walk with friends three times a week, plus I walk or hike with my dogs every day. Every spring I re-start C25K so I do a bit of running too (emphasis on bit!). On the days when I run, walk the dogs, and walk with friends I end up with about 20,000 steps. On days I do yoga or strength training and walk the dogs I only end up with between 9,000-12,000. I enjoy walking so most of the time it's not a chore. I didn't go to deep water running over COVID and I've only been a couple of times since things opened up for us here. I enjoy it but sometimes fitting in a class between my other activities and volunteer commitments is hard. This retirement gig is busy!! LOL
  • Pdc654
    @ridiculous59 Great job! That's a lot of walking. So important to find activities we love.
  • risinghope
    risinghope Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2022
    @ridiculous59 I too am a serial C25K starter. Last month or so this year, got to week 3 and then back to week 2. I find now at 67 I really suffer if I overdo. Learned a bit more about "Jeffing" which is a little different than regular interval running, but I'm just dabbling in it a bit. Jeff Galloway now says no need for more than 30 sec walk break, but with that, it is surprisingly taxing to do 20 sec (run) to a 30 sec (walk) or even 15 to 30! Tried 12:30 and that's easier, but I want more to run! So, to suit myself when I don't want to do a C25K prescription, I tried 30 seconds running to one minute walking. I suppose it is not really "Jeffing" but it satisfies the running urge, which I've had since age 52 when I started running (jogging!) The beauty of the Jeff is injury-free running, with possibility of increase in distance and speed. Not that I care too much speed and distance, but feels good to pepper the walking with a little running anyway!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    risinghope wrote: »
    @ridiculous59 I too am a serial C25K starter. Last month or so this year, got to week 3 and then back to week 2. I find now at 67 I really suffer if I overdo. Learned a bit more about "Jeffing" which is a little different than regular interval running, but I'm just dabbling in it a bit. Jeff Galloway now says no need for more than 30 sec walk break, but with that, it is surprisingly taxing to do 20 sec (run) to a 30 sec (walk) or even 15 to 30! Tried 12:30 and that's easier, but I want more to run! So, to suit myself when I don't want to do a C25K prescription, I tried 30 seconds running to one minute walking. I suppose it is not really "Jeffing" but it satisfies the running urge, which I've had since age 52 when I started running (jogging!) The beauty of the Jeff is injury-free running, with possibility of increase in distance and speed. Not that I care too much speed and distance, but feels good to pepper the walking with a little running anyway!

I'm rabid to the point of stupidity about the idea that age per se is not a limitation (though some disabilities statistically common with age may be).

I do feel that I'm somewhat less resilient to stress as I age - so sudden extremes or sudden increases of exercise intensity, duration, or frequency can be a bigger problem than they would've been when I was 20 or so.

Given all of that, it seems like figuring out our individually-suitable right progression, as we age, is almost a magical black art - and very individual!

I figure I need to avoid injury, because I de-train faster if I need a major recovery break . . . but also not lowball expectations of myself, because slowed progress has a cost with (realistically) limited years in my future . . . it's complicated. I agree that we can't necessarily follow generic all-ages programs exactly, but knowing what to do as a relative novice to exercise when older would be really hard.

I'm not referring to you as an exercise novice, @risinghope - just empathizing that for some who've commented as quite new to exercise, or resuming after a long hiatus - this is a complicated learning experience! Even with some recent experience, it's not always easy.

Worth figuring out, for my taste, though. I can't speak for others, but any progress I've had since starting to be more active in my 40s has not been smooth and linear every moment. YMMV!
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    Hello, everybody. Over 60, vegetarian here, looking for friends with any lifestyle. I love to exercise by walking in nature and want to lose 10-15 pounds or so I can stay off high blood pressure meds and fit back in my favorite jeans. :)