What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    Yesterday's workout:

Two hour garden workout and 25 minute walk on beach with husband and dog.

(These are the kind of workouts I enjoy the most!)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2022
    Only thing I've done in the last couple of days is go to the chiropractor a couple times for the neck pain and finally felt good enough to golf last night. With a cart, 9 holes isn't a ton of walking, but maybe a couple of miles or so. Was hitting it fairly well on my drives, so all the rowing/lifting is helping something. Hit one drive 275 or so. Overshot a par five in two shots (just off the back of the green). If I could just putt, I would have had a great day. My putting was horrific. I'm usually a decent putter, but last night was bad.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Only thing I've done in the last couple of days is go to the chiropractor a couple times for the neck pain and finally felt good enough to golf last night. With a cart, 9 holes isn't a ton of walking, but maybe a couple of miles or so. Was hitting it fairly well on my drives, so all the rowing/lifting is helping something. Hit one drive 275 or so. Overshot a par five in two shots (just off the back of the green). If I could just putt, I would have had a great day. My putting was horrific. I'm usually a decent putter, but last night was bad.

"Drive for show, Putt for dough" :)

Glad you're up and at 'em.
  • Djproulx
    Decided I was done with being sick, so joined a friend for a trail run last night. 82 and humid, but a great night to run in the woods. Lots of roots sticking up on the trail, so I had one near fall, then a full trip/fall/roll down the hill event, lol. No real injuries, but I was a sweaty, dirty, bug spray covered mess when I returned home.

My wife has seen this movie before, so when she saw me, her only comment was: "Another Trail Run tonight?" :)

Rest day today. Fly fishing tonight.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »

"Drive for show, Putt for dough" :)

Glad you're up and at 'em.

LOL, short game is everything in golf!! But at least it's more enjoyable if you're also not looking constantly for balls in among the cactus, sticker bushes and rattlers!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited May 2022
    Swim

50 yard warm-up breast stroke
    300 yard swim w/10 second rest every 25 yards
    50 yard cool-down breast stroke

I just kind of wanted to see where I was at. My sprint-tri swim is 400 meters so I guess I would have to add another 50 yards to this, but with rest and breast stroke warm-up and cool-down I did it in just over 15 minutes completely untrained and it felt like a pretty easy day at the office. I definitely can't crawl the whole thing, but I feel like I could actually breast stroke the whole thing no problem...it's definitely my most natural stroke. I think my run (which is awful) is going to be my biggest hurdle.

Went for a walk afterwards because...well I thought that was going to take longer than it did.
  • RaquelFit2
    My body was tired today so no digging. Still was able to do a 20 minute stretch. Flexibility has increased and almost as good as it was when I was in my best shape.
  • no1wf
    no1wf Posts: 36 Member
    I did the thing and joined the gym to lift weights! Today was my 3rd day and I did barbell rows, barbell squats and bench press.

I really struggle with bench press so hopefully I'll improve by keeping at it. And I can't squat properly because I have limited dorsiflexion, so my heels rise up and I can't go any lower without falling forward! But hopefully that improves with time too.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Did a mostly slow elliptical session today for ~50 min. Most of it was at Zone 2 with a few token intervals into Zone 3 in the last 15 minutes. This was followed by my low weight/don't hurt yourself strength training routine.

Happy Friday!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    no1wf wrote: »
    I did the thing and joined the gym to lift weights! Today was my 3rd day and I did barbell rows, barbell squats and bench press.

I really struggle with bench press so hopefully I'll improve by keeping at it. And I can't squat properly because I have limited dorsiflexion, so my heels rise up and I can't go any lower without falling forward! But hopefully that improves with time too.

Good show, @no1wf: Starting is one of the hardest parts of any of this, I think.

For sure, with patience and persistence you'll gradually improve your bench press, and your squat form. Keep going, avoid injury, and improvement is the obvious (and earned) natural outcome.

RaquelFit2 wrote: »
    My body was tired today so no digging. Still was able to do a 20 minute stretch. Flexibility has increased and almost as good as it was when I was in my best shape.

@RaquelFit2, stretching can be really rewarding in that way: There's visible progress, especially at first, and many stretches are almost like they have a built in tape measure: Getting closer to the toes, twisting more degrees, getting the hands closer to each other between the shoulder blades, or whatever the stretch is working toward.

I should follow your good example, and return to more structured stretching/mobility. I usually do some intentional stretches scattered through the day, but I know I make better progress if I set aside a defined time to focus on a routine.
  • AnnPT77
    Back on the rowing machine today, the usual kind of workout with the usual stats (6743m, 2:29.4 pace/21 spm on the 2k pieces, Z3 and below) . . . but it felt like a little more of a slog.

I don't know whether it's the higher temp (I don't have the AC on yet; it was 85 again today), or the cycling this week being a little more tiring because it's been a little more volume than the stationary biking, poor attitude, bad sleep, or some combination.

Usually, I'm looking for a sort of point of relative ease, physically, within the pace/rating I'm going for (even if going for harder pieces than the ones I've been doing this Winter). It's something analogous to what rowers might call "swing" in a multi-person boat. Tonight I felt low powered, kind of clunky instead - worse than usual. Random, I'm sure - it'll pass. 🙄🤷‍♀️

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    My day off was broken up being my son's chauffeur. He got hit in the eye with a piece of cardboard at work. He couldn't keep his eyes open. So I had to go pick him up, we came home, till time for the eye Dr appointment and I got some elliptical time then. Drive there and back home. Some more elliptical time. We then went out to dinner and then took him to his work to get the car.
    Elliptical 136 minutes, in 2 sessions, for 11 miles total.
  • AnnPT77
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    My day off was broken up being my son's chauffeur. He got hit in the eye with a piece of cardboard at work. He couldn't keep his eyes open. So I had to go pick him up, we came home, till time for the eye Dr appointment and I got some elliptical time then. Drive there and back home. Some more elliptical time. We then went out to dinner and then took him to his work to get the car.
    Elliptical 136 minutes, in 2 sessions, for 11 miles total.

Oh, no, @swimmom_1: How awful! I hope he's OK, now, or will be soon. Eye injuries can be so scary!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @AnnPT77 Eye Dr said, "When you had your PRK(kind of like Lasik), I gave you a corneal abrasion on purpose. Now you got one by yourself. So we put a contact that acts like a bandage, like then, for about 5 days and you need antibiotic drops. I'll see you in 5 days and take the contact off and check you. It should be better by then." He is doing much better. He can't go back to work till Monday. Thank you
  • RaquelFit2
    edited May 2022
    @swimmom_1 Hope your son feels better!
  • RaquelFit2
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    no1wf wrote: »

Good show, @no1wf: Starting is one of the hardest parts of any of this, I think.

For sure, with patience and persistence you'll gradually improve your bench press, and your squat form. Keep going, avoid injury, and improvement is the obvious (and earned) natural outcome.

RaquelFit2 wrote: »

@RaquelFit2, stretching can be really rewarding in that way: There's visible progress, especially at first, and many stretches are almost like they have a built in tape measure: Getting closer to the toes, twisting more degrees, getting the hands closer to each other between the shoulder blades, or whatever the stretch is working toward.

I should follow your good example, and return to more structured stretching/mobility. I usually do some intentional stretches scattered through the day, but I know I make better progress if I set aside a defined time to focus on a routine.

Stretching is fantastic and something I've been doing since I was little and taking gymnastics and dance classes.

The reason why this weight gain and lack of fitness of my current state is so disturbing is that I use to be a "semi" professional dancer. I say semi because I did get paid but never made a living out of it. Someone online posted videos of a show I use to dance on and I watch them (probably more than I should.)

In any case, I'm going to be spending the day in the garden. This shed cannot come soon enough.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited May 2022
    Yesterday, I attempted to pick up some heavy stuff, but was quite time constrained (and weak, which limits the heavinness involved). So I ended up doing:
    Bench, 2 sets of 5, 55 kgs
    Deadlift, 1 set of 4, 100 kgs.

Today, I went for a climb. It was really good fun; I was in reasonable form. I sent 4 routes graded v3-v5, which were probably all closer to v3 than v5, but I got around half of the ones at the gym in this bracket.

I lasted 2.5 hours, which is probably a bit silly as the pump means I don't get much towards the end (although I did get one slabby v3-v5 on my very last effort.)

I also did around 15 miles' walking.
  • AnnPT77
    I got up stupid early to go to my rowing club's boathouse clean-up and open house day, spent close to 6 hours on my feet, carrying many boats, washing boats, doing other chores . . . I could feel the result, speaking as an old gal who's been getting 2000-some to (sometimes) 5000-some steps most days this Winter that don't have intentional walks. I'm at 10k+ steps and counting today. That, plus the (seeming) leg fatigue I mentioned in my PP - all of which feels like pretty pathetic performance to me subjectively, honestly, in my individual context - had me wanting to moderate today's workout.

So - because of the thunder I could hear nearby - I was back on the stationary bike indoors, for the usual 10k+3' CD, keeping it ultra-low intensity, just trying to stay above a very modest 75W+ floor. Ended up at 78W average, 11,067m, 30:36.2 time - all of those including the 3' CD. Nothing above Z2, 70% max maybe 57% HR reserve - low. It'll have to do.

Hoping to be on the water next week M-W-F-Sa, if day to day weather allows, bike Tu-Th-Sa, outdoors if possible. Rest day tomorrow, per routine.
  • RaquelFit2
    I did work in the garden today for about an hour. I didn't work too hard. I was tired.

• Djproulx
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Swim

50 yard warm-up breast stroke
    300 yard swim w/10 second rest every 25 yards
    50 yard cool-down breast stroke

I just kind of wanted to see where I was at. My sprint-tri swim is 400 meters so I guess I would have to add another 50 yards to this, but with rest and breast stroke warm-up and cool-down I did it in just over 15 minutes completely untrained and it felt like a pretty easy day at the office. I definitely can't crawl the whole thing, but I feel like I could actually breast stroke the whole thing no problem...it's definitely my most natural stroke. I think my run (which is awful) is going to be my biggest hurdle.

Went for a walk afterwards because...well I thought that was going to take longer than it did.

Nice. Sounds like the swim will be a non-issue come race day!

Stroke selection is a personal choice in triathlon. Plenty of swimmers use the breast stroke in sprint distance races, or as a recovery stroke when needed. Also note that crawling is an acceptable form of forward movement during the run segment, since the only thing that matters is getting the job done!