Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• Girlfieri223
    Girlfieri223 Posts: 6 Member
    Hello to all the people here. I’m old and new to MFP. I used it a lot back in 2013 but had a move and gave up and the weight crept back on. My last weigh in was 274 lbs which is just so disheartening. To reach my goal weight I have to lose 130lbs. It’s astronomical. It’s almost half my body weight. I have struggled with my weight and with depression and anxiety my whole life. I’m tired of being so overweight. Previous weight loss attempts got me down into the 240s but I would get complacent and stop tracking and then something in my life would happen where I would gain again and I avoided thinking about it because I didn’t want to face it. Now I’m facing it and it’s hard. It is hard to go to the gym every day, even though it makes me feel better and sleep better. It is hard to keep pushing myself. It is hard to stop eating when all I want is to binge on comfort foods. But it will also be hard to keep up with foster children when my husband and I get them. It will be hard to walk 20k + steps a day in Europe when I visit my family this august…unless I start doing the hard things. I started using MFP a little over a month ago. I didn’t have the courage to weigh myself until 2 weeks ago. I worked out really hard twice the week after and lost 0.2 lbs. then I worked out harder the next week and gained 0.6 lbs. I’m not going over my calorie deficit- supposedly this is water weight from working out when I’ve been sedentary for years. It’s just so discouraging- is it too much to ask for a pound or two to start dropping?

Could definitely use some support and encouragement if anyone wants to friend me. It’s going to be a long road.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Saturday Weigh In results ...
    5'3" tall
    Highest weight: 278 lb
    Goal weight: 175 lb
    12/28/22: 234
    5/7/2022: 218.6
    5/14/2022: 220.4
    Well .. I ought not be surprised, and I'm not. The past week has been one of unrestricted eating. I started the week making 11 pork schnitzels, the original method of cooking .. and ate all 11 pieces. I also made a 2-pounds of potato scalloped potato dish, following the recipe exactly ... and that went along with the pork. And, I opened up a box of Granola snack bars ... which led to opening up a canister of raisins! And, ... where were the vegetables this week? I won't share more ... cause this is not a confessional thread .. it's a thread for motivation and support ... I know, realistically, that this is a minor setback, it's just that it's also a part of a regular pattern that I have been working on cleaning up. Old habits die hard.

@Girlfieri223 ,... welcome. I do hope you find your way back here and become apart of this thread's posters. ... I wrote a long, heartfelt post for you, and then hit the wrong key resulting in my computer going somewhere I hadn't known it would go or how to get back out of it .. so I lost all those words I shared with you. But then, I got to thinking about it ... this is not your first go around (like most of us), and whatever 'words of wisdom' I shared are probably not new to you. And, don't you just hate it when people jump on helpfully telling you what you ought to do at the slightest drop of a pen? I know I do ,,, and karma-like, later that same day I got a taste of my own bad medicine! ... Ha, Ha on me. ... So ... welcome, welcome, welcome. No advice, just hoping to get to know you. Good luck on your journey.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    hey everyone just a quick stop in before fully getting emerged in my day. I have already weeded one flower bed and it’s only 8:40 in the morning. It’s supposed to be 70° here today and sunny so I’m going to spend as much time getting my yard prepped for summer as possible.
    awesome news I heard back from my doctor yesterday and she is so proud of the weight loss and the walking routine that she said to go off my medication and see how it goes. She wants me to have my blood pressure be under 135/85 at least two out of the three readings per week. If I can do that then I can probably stay off of my medication permanently. For me that’s motivation enough to keep going.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @holly-- Congrats on getting back to the 240s and off the BP meds!! Both are huge accomplishments, and you should be so proud of yourself. I'm right there with you about trying to get the yard and garden beds in order. We went from 30-40 degrees and rain to high 80s-90s, literally overnight. This weekend is a bit better-mid 80s today and 70s tomorrow.

@Girlfieri223 --welcome to the thread. It sounds like you have some great motivators, so I hope you will come back often and share your successes and get support when you aren't perfect.

@nsk1951 -- I also haven't been monitoring my food carefully enough and the scale shows it. Despite my pledge to get back into the 180s before I leave for Spain, the scale hasn't budged due to consuming too many calories. At least I've increased my activity, so I haven't had any big gains, but I really should know better by now.

AFM--Dealing with the usual end of school year chaos, and just trying not to gain a bunch of weight from the combination of stress and celebrations. Friday was the last day for my seniors, and as usual, it was bittersweet. Sad to see them go, but glad to have 2 less classes to worry about on a daily basis. Now I just have 2 more weeks with my 3 junior classes, and then, it's off to Barcelona!! I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row. Went and got my 2nd covid booster yesterday, so I'm taking it easy today. Fortunately, I seemed to have dodged the previous side effects other than a sore arm and some slight fatigue

As I mentioned to holly above, I have been working on my garden beds, but have been waiting to close on our HELOC in order to make some bigger purchases and schedule some contractors. We will finally close this Wednesday, and I took Thursday off to meet with a GC who will be removing a window and replacing it with a sliding door. After that work is done, we are adding a deck and also getting a bunch of drainage work done in our back yard. I was hoping to at least get it scheduled before I leave May 31st.

This week I have a union dinner on Tuesday and a retirement party for a colleague on Friday. I know I will indulge at those events, so I'm going to try to be extra active the rest of the week and watch my calorie intake the other days.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Karen
    52 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)
    Official 1/1/2022 weigh in = 193
    GW: 185 (my previous low)

1/7/22 = 191
    2/11/22 = 189
    3/18/22 = 190.6
    4/29/22 = 192.6
    5/13/22 = 193.4
  • mnwalkingqueen
    @Girlfieri223 - welcome to the group. I think we all have our ups and downs and challenges. I found for me what Help this time around was holding myself more accountable. So for example if I said I was going to walk a mile every day. If the day was not marked off at the calendar at relaxed time then I went for a mile walk. Just a visual to see things and then choosing to do the positive or some days it is the negative but then owning that. I don’t know if that will help you but it’s helped me a lot.
    @nsk1951- I agree old habits are hard to break. And here making a confession for your thread of the day is no big deal. You’re being accountable.
    @karen- sounds like you have a lot going on in general. You know I love hearing about all the places you go and it makes me want to be able to travel more. The downside is I don’t live in a neighborhood where that is always feasible. Meeting that all my neighbors are trustworthy and if people knew that I was gone for long periods of time I might come home to nothing left in my house. And most people even my friends don’t want to housesit at my house because of where I live. However I was thinking for my 50th either going to Ireland or maybe grabbing my other gal pal who turns 50 and going somewhere tropical.

as for me I am learning how much my food impacts my blood pressure. My blood pressure was really good Monday through Friday without being on my medication. I usually eat whatever I want on Saturdays and Sundays and don’t track anything I just let it be fun. However those two days my blood pressure was back to where it was before I went on medication. I’m sure I’m eating way more sodium on those two days then I need to eat in an entire month. Also you would think that working out in the sun and in my yard all day on Saturday I would be totally hydrated on water constantly but instead I drink a 2 L of soda which also the caffeine is not good for your blood pressure it makes it high. I guess the positive in this as I become more accountable for my choices versus saying oh well I don’t have time to eat good or I didn’t know that that would do that I’m learning as I go and I am being accountable. I also have learned that I love tilapia with just squeezed lemon over it and nothing else.
    well I ended another week with 14 miles of intentional walking… For me that means I’m not including my morning walks with my dog Monday through Friday only the evening walks and weekends. We normally walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles each morning before work so technically in total 21.5 miles.
    I did work out in my yard almost all day on Saturday my arms and shoulders hurt so bad eight hours of pulling weeds and I’m not even fully done. At some point I will hire someone to probably do this for me but for now long as I’m capable I will do it but it is rather annoying I would’ve rather been walking my dog around the lake or enjoying the weather in some other way.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    It sounds like everyone is doing fairly well on their journey!

Today was a whirlwind of a day. It started off as usual. After I got my daughter off to school I came back home and started my workout. I discovered a tick lodged on my butt cheeck when I went to use the bathroom. My husband pulled it off and I called my doctor and scheduled an appointment for the afternoon. A little while later I found a second tick on my behind my knee. I am always outside working in the gardens. In my 49 years I've never had a tick bite me. Today I found not one but two. ARGH!!!! I spent the rest of my time researching companies to spray for ticks and contacted the vet about getting my mom's dog on preventitive medication. My doctor was able to identify the tick, thankfully it is not one that transmits Lymes. However, I still have to look out for symptoms similar to Lymes.

Yesterday I changed up my workout a bit. I did 30 minutes on my bike then 30 on my Bosu with a concentration of arm exercises without weights. Oh my goodness, today I feel it in my arms. I kept waking up all night long which I attribute to my achy muscles.

I hope everyone is having a good week.
  • nsk1951
    5'3" tall
    5/21/2022: 222.4
    Hmmm ... still having the same pattern I've had all along ... up-down-up-down within a narrow range. This week saw a pretty significant up. Well, actually, so did last week as well! ... And I will get it under control ... I know I will. Still searching to hit that next level down.

I 'm really tired lately, and sore from torn rotator cuffs from over-doing it during the moving period. I don't seem to realize that I am no longer a middle-aged woman but a geriatric one! ... Adjustments need to become habitual patterns of living so that I don't have to work as hard over every little detail; they all tie into one another. Settling into a new living space apparently is a lot more involved than simply moving your possessions and yourself and setting up the new space with your belongings. ... I 'll get it.

Have a good week everyone. I hope to share better weight-loss results with you next week ... and I hope everyone enjoys the Memorial Day celebrations!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    @JNettie73 - Wow! Tick thing sounds scary! Hope no symptoms arise.
    @nsk1951- Sorry you are feeling so tired lately. Moving does take more energy mentally and physically than we know.
    As for me not much new cold weather is back. Had to wear winter coat on walk this AM it was 40 degrees.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Hi I'm Katrena. I'd like to get back in this group. Just had my 2nd cancer surgery and they think they got it all but I'm not sure why it keeps coming back. I know sugar control and weight loss will benefit me but I
    Also in a flare of multiple auto immune disorders that keep me in co start pain and limit my activity (or at least should but I keep plugging on). Makes it difficult to stand to prepare meals. I am looking for support and challenges to help me stay motivated. Of course I want to encourage others but I need some sucesses
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Nsk. Seems we are similar in age and abilities. I've fallen several times due to extreme fatigue that makes it difficult to lift my foot, fell face forward, slipped and fell backward several times. Get pt till my benefit expires each year

Sorry about the loss of your ex. No reason why you can't call yourself a widow. If ur not already drawing social security on his record check into that. My sister just applied and was delighted to learn she would draw more due to her ex. They have been divorced for years

Mnwalkingqueen. I lost my son to suicide in 2007 and I just had a crying jag this week. They are not as frequent now but I miss him so much. It took be years to be able to function. I developed inflammatory arthritis throughout my body right after his death. Was in remission for years but has flared up this year with a vengeance. Wish I could remember the protocol I used b4 remission but I just recall I got off all meds and supplements and tried to eat clean. I've learned to cherish the memories of my son and try to be grateful for the time I had. Also I came to understand that he was in so much emotional/mental suffering that he is now In peace. Small consolation. I'm so proud that you are hanging in there and I celebrate your sucesses
    Katrena
  • nsk1951
    KATRENAJ wrote: »
    Nsk. Seems we are similar in age and abilities. I've fallen several times due to extreme fatigue that makes it difficult to lift my foot, fell face forward, slipped and fell backward several times. Get pt till my benefit expires each year

Sorry about the loss of your ex. No reason why you can't call yourself a widow. If ur not already drawing social security on his record check into that. My sister just applied and was delighted to learn she would draw more due to her ex. They have been divorced for years
    Katrena

Thanks @KATRENAJ ... You're about the only one who shows any understanding of the loss of someone who was important and meaningful in your life at one time. Most of my friends say that once you are divorced you ought to erase that person from your mind and heart forever as if they never existed ... but that's not how it was for me. Maybe if we hadn't been together for as long as we had, or didn't have offspring that we raised together it would have been different because there would have been no reason for us to stay connected on any level. As for the Social Security issue .. my own was more than what I would have received had I claimed his benefit. I've been retired for 12 years already.

Hope your health improves, keeps improving. I cannot imagine the pain of the loss of a child. My sister lost 2 and says no one can relate to it unless it happened to them.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    KATRENAJ wrote: »

Mnwalkingqueen. I lost my son to suicide in 2007 and I just had a crying jag this week. They are not as frequent now but I miss him so much. It took be years to be able to function. I developed inflammatory arthritis throughout my body right after his death. Was in remission for years but has flared up this year with a vengeance. Wish I could remember the protocol I used b4 remission but I just recall I got off all meds and supplements and tried to eat clean. I've learned to cherish the memories of my son and try to be grateful for the time I had. Also I came to understand that he was in so much emotional/mental suffering that he is now In peace. Small consolation. I'm so proud that you are hanging in there and I celebrate your sucesses
    Katrena

I totally understand that is how I lost my son to he was 19 years old and he struggled with mental health issues. I can be laughing and having a grand all day and then all of a sudden I just start crying it could be a song, Something someone said, I thought in my head. I will say the crying stages are far in few between now but I don’t think the pain ever goes away fully.
    Sorry to hear that you have issues of falling down so much. Sounds painful hopefully things turn around for the positive.
  • nsk1951
    edited May 2022
    5'3" tall
    5/21/2022: 222.4
    5/28/2022: 221.4
    It is what it is. It's starting to feel like that next 5 pounds down goal is looking more like the next 10 pound down goal. ... I need to do some deep soul searching about how important it is to me to make that goal. Future weigh-in reports will tell the story.

@mnwalkingqueen and @KATRENAJ ... so sorry for both of your losses.

I hope everyone has some funtime this Memorial Day weekend ... I know it's not a 'fun thing' that we have the holiday for but I remember back when I held a down a job that anytime a short work week came around it was much appreciated to both have some extra time off and to have the extra time to take care of things around the homestead. It wasn't very often that I got to go to the parade or enjoy time at a picnic ... it's something that I did when my son was a youngster and his scouts team was part of the parade, etc., but not something I kept up after he grew up and was on his own. ... I just read in the local newsfeed that the parade in my new location goes right past my apartment building and that there are ceremonies at the other end of the building, which houses hospital labs and clinics ... I think I might get to see a parade and take part in Memorial Day activities once again!

Have a great week everyone. Stay well, happy, on track with your goals.
    PS ... and, very important ... stay safe! ... horrifying what has happened in my old home town and in Texas!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @KATRENAJ -- welcome back! Sorry to hear about the recurrence of your cancer, but I'm glad to hear the doctors think they got it all.

@nsk1951 -- I'm sorry for your loss. My sister and her husband were separated and in the process of getting divorced when he unexpectedly passed, and it certainly still was a loss. Just because the two of you decided to end your marriage, that doesn't erase the years of love that once were. Take the time you need to grieve.

@holly-- Please try to get to Ireland or that tropical getaway--travel is so rewarding! I know it's not always easy to afford, and certainly logistics, like leaving your home empty can be difficult, but it's so worth it. Perhaps you can find someone on Rover to dogsit Riley in your home. That way, he's taken care of, and your home isn't empty. Or, if you have a neighbor you trust, you could ask them to keep an eye on the place while you're gone. Even having a friend stoop by once a day to pick up mail and check in could deter would be thieves.

AFM--Ahh--I'm leaving for Barcelona TOMORROW!!! I'm so excited!!! School just ended Friday, so I've just been trying to get some yard work done (it FINALLY stopped raining), as well as pack, etc. Traveling makes me really nervous, so I'm just trying to relax and not get stressed out. My sister came over yesterday, so we could upload all of our travel documents and covid requirements, so at least that's all taken care of. I'm not where I had hoped to be weight-wise, but I'm still in the low 190s, so at least all of my clothes fit comfortably. I know there will be a lot of delicious food to sample while we are there, but I hope all of the walking and activity balance that out.

Totally different topic, I saved all of Gunner's scarves that he would get at his grooming appointments. Early on, I decided I would have a blanket made after he passed. Well, I found a seamstress to make it for me, and it was finally finished this weekend. I'm thrilled with how I turned out--I honestly couldn't love it more:

a1cn24yovfvw.jpg

Karen
    52 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)
    Official 1/1/2022 weigh in = 193
    GW: 185 (my previous low)

1/7/22 = 191
    2/11/22 = 189
    3/18/22 = 190.6
    4/29/22 = 192.6
    5/13/22 = 193.4
    5/20/22 = 192.6
    5/27/22 = 191
  • nsk1951
    @skinnyjeanzbound ... you are on vacation by the time I saw you post! .. Have a great time. I really admire that blanket you made from Gunner's neck scarves. Clever you!
  • JNettie73
    Hi everyone. I hope you all are doing well! Sending hugs to you all.

One of my tick bites went completely away, the other one is lingering. It's still pretty red and raised. From what I have read is it can take a while for the bite to go away. I have a follow up with my doctor on Monday to review my recent blood work, I am going to have her look at it again when I am there. I was sick Memorial Day weekend with a headache and fever. I took 2 Covid tests and both came back negative. I am not sure if that was related to the bites or something else, however I will be discussing that with my doctor as well.

I am struggling lately with food. My husband and daughter keep picking out lots of snacks when we go food shopping then eat them in front of me. I am having such a hard time with will power to not eat them too. Weight wise I am almost down to my lowest weight from when my mom passed. I just received the results from my blood work and peeked. My numbers look good however my A1C went up by .1 =( I was concerned it was going to be higher this time around because my numbers have been all over the place from all the stress and poor eating I've been doing. I am actually surprised it did not go higher than it is so I am not terribly upset.

I am finishing up the school year next week. I am looking forward to some time off. I am still waiting to see if I am teaching in the summer program or not. My admin said she is waiting for the parents to return the forms and will let me know as soon as she knows. Being in limbo is never fun, but it is what it is.

Does anyone have anything fun planned for summer?

@skinnyjeanzbound
    I hope you have a great vacation. I love the blanket, what a wonderful way to remember Gunner.
  • nsk1951
    @JNettie73 ... I hope your tick bites heel up. You know, my doctor told me that if I am sick with something that this frequently raises my blood sugar. Something to do with your body fighting off an infection that makes it rise ... maybe that's why your numbers have been all over the place. ...

It's tough when the people you live with are eating food you want to avoid because of your food plan being different than theirs. I suppose the only things you can do would be to 1) ask them to be more aware of your needs, 2) leave the room when they eat those snacks in front of you, or 3) have a snack of your own at that time as well ... one that does work with your meal plan. Good luck.
  • nsk1951
    5'3" tall
    5/28/2022: 221.4
    6/4/2022: 216.2
    I just knew the last couple of weeks that a big drop in weight was just around the corner and it happened over the last couple of days. I think I know what prompted it; cause it always needs something to move it one way or the other in surges. For me, I believe it's because I have resumed taking a daily women's (over 50) daily vitamin supplement. Or maybe I'm totally mistaken and it's really because I have been not feeling very hungry ... or to better describe it, such mild hunger that it's easy to ignore and go on with something else I'm in the middle of dong. The result of that is that I have had long periods between meals, and my meals have dropped the snack on most days resulting in 2 meals. The meals are prepared based on my desires and what's on hand and just one full plate serving. Hope I can keep this up, because I am liking it!

I decided to share a MFP weight chart with you all ... to show you and myself how my weight (and for so many other people) goes up and down. It's the downward trend I am aiming for overall.

bb7tu895s83x.jpg

I hope everyone has a great week this week. It's summertime here and the longest days are upon us. Enjoy!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    hey everyone sorry I’ve been kinda MIA for a minute. I just got so wrapped up in my own stuff. Memorial Day I fell when hiking in the woods and tweaked my ankle I sprained a year ago or almost 2 years ago now. Luckily my ankle didn’t hurt much and I could still walk because I was 3 miles into the middle of the woods with my dog.
    so I took a week off from walking and I worked on weeding all my flowerbeds which then made my back sore because it’s like a 40 hour job to clear out my flowerbeds. I learned what a tick was today. I had one on my belly while it was crawling on my belly and there was one crawling on Riley‘s armpit we Musta got them when hiking in the woods. I can’t stop itching now since I found it I’m not a good person when it comes to bugs they just gross me out.
    @karen- You are already on vacation and I hope you’re having a blast. And gunner’s blanket looks so beautiful what a wonderful thought you had.
    @JNettie73- hang in there I know it’s hard when others are not caring that they’re eating crap in front of you but you’re strong and you’ll figure something out to not let it trigger you. Hope all turns out okay with the tick bites.
    @nsk1951- Congratulations on the scale move. It’s always nice when you want that to happen and it finally does.
  • JNettie73
    @mnwalkingqueen
    Hope your ankle and back are feeling better.

My last day of work for the school year was yesterday. I have a month off before I start up again for the summer. I spent my first day of vacation working in the vegetable garden weeding and getting down the rest of the cardboard. After that I washed and groomed Rosie (our dog), did laundry and helped my neighbor move a table. I was on the go all day and didn't have time to get my workout in. Overall it was a really good day!