~ Sobriety Matters ~

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,659 Member
    Hi friends, I'm still here. Today AF and went on a very long bike ride. 14 miles. Felt so good! I could not have done that if I was hungover on this beautiful Sunday.
  • BeIn2day
    BeIn2day Posts: 1,419 Member
    I've done it! (Again 😬) 28 days nicotine free (the magic number apparently for long term nicotine freedom). I have been re-reading nicotine explained. What I am amazed by is that each time I have read that book (roughly 4 times now) my understanding of it has changed. I feel like I have a deeper understanding of my nicotine addiction. I am feeling more solid than ever not to return to smoking now. Its just a trap.

Today I am 30 days alcohol free. Starting from tomorrow I'm gona start reading Alcohol Explained by William Porter (sunnydays recommended this book and I'm looking forward to reading it, I do like William Porter).

I think the main reason I will avoid alcohol is because I know that I will most likely start smoking again once I have a drink or 2 in my system. The two go hand in hand. Fact.

I am today 3 months prozac free. Brain zaps are minuscule now. Which I'm glad about as I want to take driving lessons in the near future. No way I'm learning to drive with brain zaps ! 😵‍💫 I no longer feel depressed. My mind is in much better nick now, I do however still get the odd bout of anxiety. Ah well. I'm human 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have my toolkit of meditation, walks in nature, eating healthily, good rest / sleep and talking about how I'm feeling instead of bottling it up. I'm gona add exercise too. I know that is great for my mental health.

Still not drinking coffee. I just prefer green tea now. Don't need to worry about "have we got enough milk left for my tea / coffee ?" Don't need nothing but a teabag for herbal tea. Apparently green tea is great for your health. (2-3 cups per day is the recommended amount).

I am challenging myself to reach my personal best alcohol free streak of 134 days again (or 4.5 months) so here we go........
  • BeIn2day
    8x9gswf0x4yt.jpg
    🌻 Monday Motivation 🌻
  • BeIn2day
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Hi friends, I'm still here. Today AF and went on a very long bike ride. 14 miles. Felt so good! I could not have done that if I was hungover on this beautiful Sunday.

Hangover free Sundays are the best. We went on a nature walk yesterday it was lovely.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 269 Member
    Hi Friends
    Congratulations to both of you! That is great news. So happy for you that you both are feeling so well. I hope the great activities and the good vibes are reinforcing the good things you are doing for yourselves.
    The William Porter book is great to reread. I have also read several books by female authors along the same lines (Annie Grace is similar too, IMO). The thing I like about them is that they sort of brainwash you into not even wanting to drink and it makes it so much more pleasant and reasonable and happy a choice not to. I personally liked the female authors better than Porter only because I read them first and I learned from hearing about their personal experiences more (or perhaps I just remember them sharing their experiences more, it has been a while since I read either his or their books). I sometimes am a bit embarrassed by my kindle reading library. It is so full of “quit lit” when self help books are so not my thing. They definitely helped though!
  • BeIn2day
    @Sinisterbarbie1 talking about libraries....

😬

My bookshelf is a A-Z of self help books, books about miracles too...books about the brain.....

I got a little carried away. I am addicted to self help books 🙈😂

It's actually my hobby now. I love reading them!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,126 Member
    I'm back from my working vacation. The first half was helping my elderly aunt. The second half was the vacation part, visiting friends at their lake house. 3 people including my husband who had promised me he wouldn't, were smoking. I was the only one that abstained. The other woman said to me, "can't you have one every so often?" I told her the truth; if I had even one, I'd be smoking a pack a day in a week. I was not tempted whatsoever. However it was a fail when the wine started flowing. Sitting on their beautiful dock, watching the sunset over the water, I just could not resist. So I am disappointed in myself that I indulged after having high hopes and expectations that I would not. I just have to move on and at least be pleased that I wasn't tempted to smoke. Though I had a good time, I am relieved to be home and will get back in my sober routine.
  • BeIn2day
    Glad you had a good time while away SunnyDays930. It could have been worse. At least you didn't return to smoking. You have at least got that 1 thing hammered down.

A lake house sounds brilliant! Wouldn't mind one of them myself lol.
  • BeIn2day
    @SunnyDays930 there is no 'fail' or 'failure' in what we are doing.

Just put one foot in front of the other.
  • SunnyDays930
    @Bein2day Thank you for your unwavering support of me. It means a lot. <3
  • TJC1979
    TJC1979 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello all I'm TJ.

I developed a drinking habit around my 40th birthday, and a few months later the pandemic happened and I went all in with it. Fortunately I didn't have a rock bottom experience, but was just tired of feeling miserable and self medicating all the time.

I'm less than a month into sobriety, and I'm also back in therapy and medication to address the underlying issues that caused me to start drinking in the first place. Back on track with a healthier diet and exercise as well.

It feels good. Really good. I want to keep it up. Please feel free to add me, as I'd like to have some sobriety help and support along with my weight loss journey.

Thanks
  • BeIn2day
    edited May 18
    Hi @TJC1979 friend request sent 😊

Glad you have decided to join our little group here.

Sobriety isn't always straight forward or easy but by heck, it's worth it !! I think it's also better to do it with some support either in person or online. Sober Instagram is extremely helpful and supportive I would recommend you check that out if you haven't already.

Be glad to support you in your journey, almost a month AF is fantastic. Your brain and body will be thanking you for it !

I also had some therapy and medication after I quit. I have had a few blips along the way but I have been sober 90% of the time I would estimate.
  • BeIn2day
    @Bein2day Thank you for your unwavering support of me. It means a lot. <3

Same to you. Glad to be on this sobriety journey with you and everyone on our thread 💖 its like a wee sober family 😊
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 269 Member
    @TJC1979 Welcome! I mostly just check in on this conversation and post here rather than via private groups. Great to meet you!
  • SunnyDays930
    @TJC1979 Welcome! We are a warm and supportive group. I'm happy you've joined us :)
  • BeIn2day
    As a way to manage a lot of stress I turned to alcohol and cigarettes again. This was on Friday night after work.

Not mad. Just disappointed.

I need to reflect and re-group.

Back on the wagon today.
  • RubyRed427
    Last night, I was happy to be the designated driver for my fiance; we went out with my drinking friends. I should do that more often. I can be responsible when I make a commitment to someone else just not when I make a commitment to me.

My friend who drinks but never seems to get hangovers said to me last night, "hey we should go out on Thursdays like we used to." I told her I cant do that anymore or I will ruin my Fridays. I have changed and I'm happy with my decision to abstain whenever possible.

I also like sober instagram, too. It inspires me. I also like to read about sober celebrities. I figure it has to be tough for them, too. Always going out to dinners and events with alcohol- if they can do it, so can we.

Welcome to our group @TJC1979 I like how you said you are feeing better and better. I love that feeling so much more than hangxiety and a puffy face.
  • RubyRed427
    BeIn2day wrote: »
    As a way to manage a lot of stress I turned to alcohol and cigarettes again. This was on Friday night after work.

Not mad. Just disappointed.

I need to reflect and re-group.

Back on the wagon today.

No worries - with each blip, we grow and get stronger. Back on track today <3

I remember when i did three months of sobriety- Friday nights were the hardest, because I used to pour several drinks on Friday nights. So, instead, I would go to the local Starbucks and sit with a nice cup of coffee and a book. A change in routine is helpful to break the habit.

Also, I used to love to pour wine while I cooked; I secretly cooked so I could drink wine!! Anyway, I have changed that habit and routine by pouring a Heinekin 00 just until I get used to not drinking during cooking.
  • RubyRed427
    Watching the Johnny Depp courtroom drama makes me cringe because his alcohol (and drug) addiction have really changed his looks, his relationships, his career.... He looks so worn. He would show up hours late for work on a film, which I can imagine was from hard partying the night before.
    He did admit that the only person he abused was himself. *I assume referring to his drug and alcohol habit.
  • SunnyDays930
    I agree about Johnny Depp. He looks so worn out. He used to be so handsome. There are websites that show before and after people going from a drinking life to a sober one. Most of them look amazing. It is inspiring. It seems vain to care but if it helps keep me on the wagon, so be it.
    I got my second covid booster yesterday and feel pretty rough. Fever, chills etc. This too shall pass. I'm grateful to have it. I intentionally chose a day that I could lay around the next day.

@Bein2day you have more sober/cigarette free days than not lately. Don't get discouraged. <3 You have been doing great!