Shape Shifters Team Chat - MAY 2022

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @JenHul and @CasandraW - My youngest son graduated from high school in 2020 and I’m still getting used to the transition to ‘empty nester.’ There was no ceremony for his class because he graduated in the pre-vaccination phase of the pandemic, but we had a motorcade that passed the elementary school he attended and all the staff stood along the route, waving and cheering along with other (socially distanced) community members who happened to be walking on the Main Street. So, that was fun for them. Usually, the tradition is for all the kindergarten and elementary school students to line the halls and ‘fist bump’ the former students (now the ‘big kids’) who are wearing their graduation caps and gowns. My son didn’t mind missing the formal ceremony but he really liked the idea of being idolized by the younger children the way he remembered looking up to them. 🤩

Our older son is a senior in college and only has a few more classes to finish up before he graduates. It’s hard to believe they’ll be finished soon but it’s fascinating to watch them grow and change.

I’m sure other Shape Shifter are experiencing important life transitions or personal milestones, too. Do you have any advice? What works for you when navigating various changes?

I guess we’re all transforming ourselves as we improve our fitness, nutrition, and overall health. How is your transition going? Has there been anything that surprised you about the experience? Please share your thoughts and reflections as a way to process your own transition journey or help other members!
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 257 Member
    Yukie_OP : Steps check-in (goal 6k)
    5/10 - 10,522
    5/13 - 4,193
    5/14 - 8,442
    5/15 - 7,196

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

@PatriceFitnessPal - As I think about transitions/life milestones, it makes me think that it all moves so relatively fast and (for parents) there's a releasing, or letting go of, your children to give space for their own journeys - it's important to keep a tether of traditions and also picking up new interests/goals that will keep them engaged in what your doing even if they don't partake. My daughter is still young but as i think about adulthood and how busy life gets.. I hope that I'll continue to grow, learn and strive in my own journey so that (hopefully) when we come together as a family, we enjoy each other's company and continue to learn from each other.
  • ac204
    ac204 Posts: 147 Member
    edited May 2022
    @jessicakrall8, sorry, I've been MIA!!

Happy Monday, Shapeshifters! Last week there were several celebration dinners (Mother's day, graduations and my birthday). I did manage to drop a bit but still above my weight before vacation. Hoping to start hitting my step goal again and get back to losing weight!

AC204
    Friday Weigh-In
    PW = 195.6
    CW = 194.6

Steps Goal = 7500
    5/1 - 3503
    5/2 - 7179
    5/3 - 5551
    5/4 - 8769
    5/5 - 5183
    5/6 - 7273
    5/7 - 8937
    5/8 - 7076
    5/9 - 1943
    5/10 - 9913
    5/11 - 7127
    5/12 - 3046
    5/13 - 12603
    5/14 - 6201
    5/15 - 5502
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    ac204 wrote: »
    @jessicakrall8, sorry, I've been MIA!!

Happy Monday, Shapeshifters! Last week there were several celebration dinners (Mother's day, graduations and my birthday). I did manage to drop a bit but still above my weight before vacation. Hoping to start hitting my step goal again and get back to losing weight!

AC204
    Friday Weigh-In
    PW = 195.6
    CW = 194.6

Steps Goal = 7500
    5/1 - 3503
    5/2 - 7179
    5/3 - 5551
    5/4 - 8769
    5/5 - 5183
    5/6 - 7273
    5/7 - 8937
    5/8 - 7076
    5/9 - 1943
    5/10 - 9913
    5/11 - 7127
    5/12 - 3046
    5/13 - 12603
    5/14 - 6201
    5/15 - 5502

@ac204 Are you keeping your 7500 daily step goal for May, or did you want to alter it? Thank you for reporting in your steps. I've got you caught up now. Nice that you were able to have such great celebrations AND still lose weight! That walking is helping you!! WOOHOO! Nice loss gal!
    Jessica
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited May 2022
    Article Title: ‘Keeping A Food Diary Doubles Diet Weight Loss, Study Suggests’

I received an email message today that included a link to (somewhat dated but relevant) research, highlighting the benefit of food tracking. So, I thought I’d share it in case anyone needs motivation to use the MFP diary for tracking calories.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708080738.htm

Don’t worry if your diary is not exact. Don’t worry if you exceed your daily calorie target. Don’t worry if you don’t remember to log every single food item. There’s plenty of time for improvement and refinement later. For now, we’re just trying to build better habits!

I don’t really think of this process as ‘dieting’ because that doesn’t seem sustainable over time; and, I’ve developed a decent habit of tracking BUT I usually ‘guesstimate’ the portion and number of calories. So, these days I’m trying to weigh and measure more accurately. I put my food scale on the counter instead of keeping it in the cupboard to help me remember. I’m VERY SLOWLY getting better at it.

What helps you remember to track your food in the diary? If you use another type of diary or strategy, how is it working for you?
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,450 Member
    I totally agree with the study that tracking helps with weight loss. For me overeating and tracking go hand in hand. If I don't track, I will overeat. If I overeat, I won't track. It is a bit too much like a head in the sand thing. Like it didn't happen if I don't keep track of it, which is rubbish of course. When I first started losing weight, I really enjoyed keeping a food journal. It was a bit like a puzzle I had to figure out and having 'proof' of how well I did that day felt nice. Though I can understand tracking can be really annoying too. I am very happy that my main calories come from shakes and mealbars, so I have nothing to measure. I just have to do this for snacks, like fruits and nuts. I don't mind doing it for a couple of things, but if you cook your meals from scratch, it must be really frustrating sometimes.
    I haven't been tracking for too long. I spent Sunday making a new food plan and wrote everything down on paper. I now plan to journal daily and also keep track of my hunger levels, water intake, sleep, energy and all kinds of stuff. I feel like I need to be very firmly and consciously in the drivers seat for the weight to come off. I hope this is the way to go for me.
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 355 Member
    May 16 Steps = 17,108
    Very busy day and work, Monday's usually are :neutral: It was really weird coming into work and not seeing my boss. (first day since she retired) I noticed she "forgot" her coffee mug, so I'm taking that as a hint that she will be back for it and a visit :smiley:
    Went for a walk with my daughter for over an hour last night, a little windy, but that is normal where we live.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    edited May 2022
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    5/9-6,788
    5/10-7,918
    5/11-7,856

I really need to move more, I have been in a funk and really struggling, I did go to yoga last night, so that was good.

@angmarie28 I had 5,885 recorded on the 9th...replaced it with the 6,788, correct?
    Jessica

yes, apparently Fitbit hadn't caught up yet at that point, ha.

5/12-8,956
    5/13-6,349
    5/14-8,698
    5/15-8,881
    5/16-8,588
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    Sorry for my lack of presence lately. We are on our last 3 weeks of school and I am organizing vaccine clinics, updating records, making sure everything is filed and in the computer. Planning health classes, ect, then at home, well lets just say I have a teen that thinks he should be allowed to do whatever he likes and shouldnt have rules, including at school, and is making my life quite difficult ugh. I have been far too busy and stressed to care about exercising, which really sucks, I am trying, but have not been very successful
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    Hi y'all: Hope everyone had a good day today. Nutrition wise, I did and fitness wise I did, but work was a pain and my boss was in a mood and passing it on to others. I struggled to get through the day, but finally did and was surprisingly productive after I put my headset on and shut everything out going on around me. Thank goodness for smooth jazz and Sirius XM.

Got up early this morning and walked for 40 minutes and that was one of the highlights of my day. Packed my lunch, played with Hazel for a few minutes, did a few things around the house and then headed to work. Stuck with my food plan for the day...came home and walked another 15 minutes to give me a mile and a quarter of intentional walking...hit my step limit for the day. Fixed the last of my leftover baked chicken, steamed some broccoli and had enough calories left for a handful of chips and a hot pocket. Was a very good meal and filling. Tomorrow, I will need to fix something in my air fryer or run to the grocery to get another package of baked chicken. Might see if I can stick it out until the weekend, just to save time and be able to relax in the evening. We'll see...just trying to not eat out.

Walked around the office a little bit every hour today, except for one, when I got stuck on a conference call and couldn't. Best I could do with that.

Well, hope everyone has a great Wednesday.
    Jessica

@pupowl your pictures are amazing...
    @LaurieWrobo You have certainly been through the ringer this year, but you're much stronger than you know because you've handled it with such grace AND taken care of yourself...one day at a time is EXCELLENT advice...
    @PatriceFitnessPal I like the article and I agree...I think it helps to keep you accountable and I've been journaling my food BEFORE eating since my WW days because if I find I need to adjust my portions because I planned incorrectly, it allows me to do so and save a leftover portion for another day if need be. Thanks for sharing!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited May 2022
    @Yukie_OP - Thank you for your great insights on transitions. Since we don’t have as many formal ‘rituals’ as previous generations, I completely agree with you about the need to establish some personal ‘traditions.’ Our family tries to plan at least one trip together each year. We’re having some difficulty finding a time that works with so many competing schedules this year but I think we finally settled on some common dates yesterday. So, we’re going to plan a visit to Boston, where our oldest son is taking a summer course, and then travel to Acadia State Park during his break between the first and second summer sessions.

My older son used to volunteer as the coxswain for our boat - and was so dedicated to getting up ridiculously early to help us - so I always appreciated sharing that morning time and interest together. He isn’t interested in rowing right now but my younger son and I do a short ab workout routine every day when he’s home from college. I wish we were able to continue while he’s at school but we can’t keep it going. My husband and I tried to build the same habit and we haven’t been able to get it started either. So, I’ll just enjoy the brief time I have left with him (20 year old son) home!

We also established a tradition of watching a series or movie together about once a month or while we are on vacation together — and, during vacations together, we often have a puzzle going in a central location that draws us together while talking or sharing a laugh. I think these days are numbered as our 21 year old finishes college soon but we’re saving some money to entice them to join us for attractive travel destinations in the future. We told them we’ll always welcome a friend or parter to join if they need a ‘buffer’ or more independence. We’ll see how that works in the next few years —

Shared experiences are so important to me, and they never need to be extravagant, but we might need to keep experimenting with the right level of family time if they establish families of their own, etc.

@LaurieWrobo - I’m sure it’s extra difficult to lose the nearby support of your son while you’re caring for your husband. Have you been able to find a regular way to connect with him in Atlanta? My older son rarely calls - and it’s so difficult for me to even get a thumbs up 👍🏼 when I check in by text - but he does some work for my husband’s company so we set up two weekly check in meetings: one with both sons and me for completing tasks together (working meetings) and one short call that also includes my husband. We cancel when they have exams or something else going on but I’m glad to have some ‘proof of life.’ It’s been a good way to help them learn more about budgeting, taxes, cash flow (and lack of cash flow at tuition time! 🙃) and other business and ‘adulting’ skills. I’m sure they’ll gradually wean me from these meetings as they take full time jobs and work less, but maybe we can keep them on the payroll for a side gig that doesn’t take much time but allows me continued proof of life 😉.

Thanks to both of you for adding to the discussion of managing transitions in response to my questions. I have to get back to work now but I’ll pick up later about some of the other topics covered recently. Best wishes, Shape Shifters!
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 355 Member
    May 17 Steps = 9157
    Didn't make it for our evening walk due to teaching my Daughter how to parallel park! She is doing very well, her drivers road test is scheduled for May 27 first thing in the Morning! I can't believe my baby is 16 already, and my Son is 18 and graduated, I am far to "young" to have children this old :wink: :smile:
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    Current Maintenance Weigh In

It's from sitting during the day the last two days even though I got some workouts in😥 couldn't grab my water when I was done so that plays a part too

• LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    Steps
    5/15 6,148
    5/16 4,831
    5/17 4,925
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,450 Member
    Tuesday - 17 May
    Steps: 15.594
    Not a very interesting day. I went to the gym which went well. I got some new clothes delivered; some tops, two blouses and a dress. I realised I didn't have enough clothes for warm weather. I burn really fast and I hate being in the sun, so I always wear something long sleeved over a top, which is where the blouses come in. I am also not a dress person at all, but I think it's nice to have for indoor at least. It was still really warm and I felt like crap all day basically. Planned to go to bed early, got distraced by YT so I went an hour past my planned time.
    Happy Wednesday everyone <3
This discussion has been closed.