No weight loss

Options
faithdwind
faithdwind Posts: 31 Member
edited May 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Why didn't I loose any weight this weekend? On Sunday I was supposed to be 179lbs but I was 180.4 and decided to weigh myself the next day, and today I'm 181.2lbs. Could it be that I'm retaining water from sodium, because Saturday and Sunday I had way more sodium then I used to have. Or could it be that I get my period in 1-2 weeks, or possibly both? Should I continue to eat 1500 calories and not worry about it?

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking every bite that goes into your body? Do you weigh your food? Are you drinking water? Are you exercising? Have you lost weight previously and now you went up a tiny fluctuation? Why do you think you were *supposed to be 179* pounds on Sunday?

It looks like you keep having the same question. You've asked it a couple times since March. If you'd like us to look at your food diary, you can open it so we can see what might happening.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Especially on a day to day basis. You will find that you'll be up one day and another day you'll be lower and then the day after that go back up again. Daily variations isn't what matters. It's the general trend that's important. As a person who has period, it's best to look cycle to cycle with how your weight is actually (rather than day to day) as some people find that their period massively affects their scale weight and so they don't see movement for 3 weeks, and a big drop on the 4th week.

You might find it helpful to use a weight trending app as they help smooth out the daily fluctuations. I think the three normally recommended are Trendweight (desktop), HappyScale (iphone), Libra (android).
  • faithdwind
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Are you tracking every bite that goes into your body? Do you weigh your food? Are you drinking water? Are you exercising? Have you lost weight previously and now you went up a tiny fluctuation? Why do you think you were *supposed to be 179* pounds on Sunday?

It looks like you keep having the same question. You've asked it a couple times since March. If you'd like us to look at your food diary, you can open it so we can see what might happening.

I log my food before I even get it out to make it, then I weigh it out. I haven't drank much water this week. Maybe about 4-5 cups but yesterday I drank 8 cups or more. No. I do not exercise that much. I think I was supposed to be 179lbs on Sunday because the Sunday before that I was 180.

I'm gonna go open my food diary right now, so it should be open by the time you see this!
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I looked at a couple days of your diary, and I'm not spotting anything weird. Have you lost weight prior to this week?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I get the impression you're spinning your wheels, mentally. You've asked this question before and you've gotten great advice. And you seem to be down 10lbs since you asked the previous time, so you must be doing something right. If you've lost weight the past month or two months, no need to get worried about one or two fluctuations.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You've already asked this question and been told that it doesn't work like that, it's not one linear line of weight loss and you won't lose every day/week in a consistent, predictable way.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You have 4 threads asking this and every time, people tell you the same thing. Do you think you will get a different answer by asking several times? The answers won't change.
  • faithdwind
    Options
    I looked at a couple days of your diary, and I'm not spotting anything weird. Have you lost weight prior to this week?

I've lost nothing this week but before this week I've lost about 1-2 pounds
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Don't get bogged down in daily fluctuations. Yesterday I had a higher calorie day, including more carbs/sugars, and sodium than I usually eat. With the added food in transit weight and the added water retention, my scale says I weigh a full kg (2.2 lbs) more than yesterday. I know this will drop over the next 2 days, so no need to sweat it. Day to day fluctuations is water/food weight, not added fat.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear.

faithdwind, I want you to say these words out loud.

No really.

And keep saying them.

Because what's "supposed" to happen and what "tends" to happen during weight loss don't usually agree.

(Because it can't be said enough.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    gl6drtbwub2h.png

Above is 180 to 175 in "scale" loss July 7 to August 18, 2015 at a rate of 0.83333 lbs per week when I was "supposed" to be losing 1.5lbs a week.

I can just image your reaction on Wednesday August 5 or Sunday August 9 when I/you were back at 180lbs.

Use a weight trend application. DITCH THE BELIEF that "I work hard and deny myself thus I get rewarded by a scale result".

THIS WON'T WORK AT MAINTENANCE. And truly at that point ALL YOUR HARD WORK WILL GO TO WASTE.

Instead of putting in hard work to lose weight, put in the real hard work of being patient and loving to yourself and gradually and fully find a way that you can manage your weight long term.

This includes experimenting with and figuring out ways as to how you will be eating POST "DIET".

If your plan is that you will get to goal and then your diet is over... you are reducing your likelihood of success.

PS Last time I was above 160lbs is more than five years ago....
    PS I happen to not be female and I happen to not even experience particularly large water weight fluctuations.
    PS You don't count glasses of water to figure out "water weight". Your poo counts as water weight too. And so does the fiber from the vegetables you ate. Unless you put yourself in a border patrol smuggler cell where you will examine all your inputs and outputs (actually you need a chamber that will also measure your CO2 emissions while you're at it)... your weight WILL FLUCTUATE. The good news? You don't need the accuracy you seem to think you need in order to influence, manage, and nudge your weight in the right direction. What matters is that the vast majority of the time you eat an appropriate number of calories and the REST WILL FOLLOW. Use part of your name: have faith in yourself and in the actions you take!