May 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
    @martaindale That happens to me sometimes too. Fries sounds like a good solution.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,426 Member
    @kgirlhart wow, that looks like baseball size hail. It's a wonder you didn't have even more damage! Sorry for your sister's car tho, and your rosebushes.

@martaindale I usually just get hangry when I don't eat when I'm hungry 😤
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,046 Member
    @teresa502 That view is beautiful and I love the little orange newts!
  • kgirlhart
    May Goal: 100 Miles

5/1: 12.03 miles
    5/2: 2.02 miles
    5/3: 5.05 miles
    5/4: 5.51 miles
    5/5: 5.16 miles
    5/6: 1.51 miles
    5/7: 1.06 miles
    5/8: 8.06 miles
    5/9: 2.03 miles
    5/10: 5.15 miles
    5/11: 6.02 miles
    5/12: 5:51 miles
    5/13: 2.05 miles
    5/14: 1.20 miles
    5/15: 10.12 miles

72.48/100 miles completed for May

Ten miles for me this morning. I tried to get up early to beat the heat, but it was still pretty warm. I get up early on the weekdays, but it is so much harder to get up early on Sunday. It was 75°F when I started out at 7:45 this morning and 88°F by the time I got home. It was a nice run though. I did run out of water at about mile 8, but I stopped at the bathroom at the park at mile 9 and splashed some water on my neck and face.

@Teresa502 Lovely views! And the newts are adorable.

exercise.png

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    Way to go @polskagirl01! You're a beast!
  • kgirlhart
    Way to go @polskagirl01!!!!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    I got out this morning in time to see the beautiful moon. I ran 5.07 very slow miles. My watch suggested that I take a rest day today which always psychs me out. I think it sets me up with a mindset of I can't do this, but I showed it! Lol! I'm sure it's looking at my data from my run and saying I told you so.

Question of the month: How do you run up a hill? I have one friend who advises to just sit back with weight in your rear with knees bent and another friend who runs pitched forward on her tippy toes up hill. Do you start up the hill with a mindset to run as far as you can and then walk, save your energy by power walking the hill, or try to slow you pace enough to run up the entire hill?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @polskagirl01 fantastic and beastly performance. Wow. I relate to your race report of your thoughts during the 24 hrs and get inspired by your commitment and wanting to just see if you can do it. And of course you can and did! Awesome.
  • Scott6255
    Yup @polskagirl01 you were in beast mode! Great job!
    @Teresa502 yes, that moon was beautiful this morning. I thought it was the sun at first because it was a reddish orange, then I realized it was in the wrong horizon :D As far as running up hills, I just drop it in a lower gear and try to run up without exhausting myself for the rest of the run.

7 miles for me this morning. Nothing notable, other than the moon.

exercise.png
  • martaindale
    @polskagirl01 Hooray for crushing your Dream-in-the-clouds goal!! You did such an amazing job!
  • martaindale
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Question of the month: How do you run up a hill? I have one friend who advises to just sit back with weight in your rear with knees bent and another friend who runs pitched forward on her tippy toes up hill. Do you start up the hill with a mindset to run as far as you can and then walk, save your energy by power walking the hill, or try to slow you pace enough to run up the entire hill?

I think I fall somewhere between your 2 friends. I focus on keeping my posture upright and core engaged. If the hill is really steep I will end up more on my toes than my normal gait, but on more gentle hills, my foot falls in about the same way. I focus on lifting my knees more to keep my stride short. As far as run v walk - it depends. In the hill country I encounter several hills that are 8-9% grade and even a couple up to 12%. On a shorter run, I adjust my effort and try to run them. I have seen huge gains in controlling my HR because of these hills. On a longer run I find myself making some judgement calls. If my run is the same speed as my power walk, I just walk. I’m exerting more energy and not going any faster by trying to run those steep hills. If I am moving faster than a walk, I’ll keep running.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,477 Member
    @Scott6255 your focus on keeping your HR that low sounds like the Phil Maffetone method. Are you familiar with that?

@kgirlhart sorry for all your plants and vehicles! It must have been scary for your sister. Glad you weren't out running in it though.

@Teresa502 cute newt! Amazing view. Running up hills - well, it depends. In a trail race I'd never run up big hills because it's more efficient to power hike them so in training I want to make sure I get plenty of training power hiking them. Running up hills is also great training so I often I'll run up the hill then hike when I get to the top until my HR settles back down. In the middle I'll run up as far as my momentum will let me, particularly when the up hill immediately follows the downhill, then switch to power hiking. Some time I'll use a bounding technique where I run very slow and focus on each stride as a powerful bounding motion until I get up the hill, often combining that bounding with a side to side motion. For a normal run up the hill, I think proper technique is the same as it is for any other running stride...try to land with your head, hips, and feet in a vertical line, which feels like leaning forward when going up hill.

@polskagirl01 great job on your 24hr race and great race report! It looks like a nice loop to run. A 24-hour race is on my "to do" list.

• Scott6255
    @7lenny7 really great pictures! And great running too! Yes, am aware of the Maffetone method, and after listening to several different podcasts that all just happened to emphasize the need for easy running, I've finally got it in my head that is a good thing to do (only took me 10 years and umpteen 1000 times to hear it before it really sunk in) 😁
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,901 Member
    @7lenny7 wrote: »
    Rose-breasted grosbeak

Small world...I just had one show up on my back deck over the weekend. Never had seen one before.