60 yrs and up

Replies

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @alteredsteve175 I am so pleased to hear you say that! I know it's not easy, but keep on keeping on. We are all here pulling for you.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    I'm great at planning and thinking ahead, setting goals and the steps to take to get there ... and yet the plans fizzle out more often than not when it comes to my weight loss 'journey'. ... This time of year seems to bring out the 'look-back and learn from the past' type of thinking in me. And this morning my thoughts went to my ever present struggles with this 'body of mine' which doesn't behave or look how I picture or plan it out in my imagination! ...

Next week will find the date on the calendar that marks my wedding day back in 1964. I weighed 128 pounds that day. My back was straight and strong, my legs propelled me for miles of walking every day without ever tiring or swelling up. I could run and climb and do acrobatics with ease. Oh, it was so wonderful and in my nighttime dreams I am often transported back to those times. The reality now, however, is that I weigh 92 pounds more than then, my back is broken, my legs are swollen and stiff with knees that won't straighten and leg cramps break into those dreams I so like to experience. ... Also, I have been 'alone' and on my own for the past 42 years ... years during which the weight piled on that saw me eventually being 150 pounds overweight. Today I am almost halfway back to that 1964 weight ... just 15 pounds more to go to be there ... and my planning and thinking are leading me to find ways to help me get to that goal sometime during this year ...

In the end, all the jotted-down ideas for my plan revolve around just 2 ideas ... eat 'less', move 'more'. ... Now to put that plan into motion ... and I suppose the best place to start is right this minute ... buy getting off the computer and out of this chair and doing something, anything ... that keeps me up and active. And out of the kitchen.

Hi, I can relate. As I get older I also wonder how I could let myself get to this point. But we are both here trying to change that. That's what's important. We can't go back and change the past but our steps forward can change the future. It sounds like you have made great strides toward that end already. You also know how to get there. Moving more and eating less. It's not easy as we get older because as you know we have more limitations with our all our pains. But as long as we keep working at it we will get there. Also the lower our weight gets the better we will feel. You have joined the right group for support. This group is always there to keep you going, give good suggestions, and support you when you're struggling. Keep up the great job you've already started. You will get there.

• Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Good Morning Everyone!! I hope you are all having a good day. I'm keeping active and sticking with my calorie limits. Not seeing the progress I want but I'm eating healthy and moving so things are good. It's a beautiful day here in RI so I'm off for a walk with the dogs to enjoy some of that sunshine and fresh cool air. Enjoy your day !
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    edited May 2022
    Back on plan after a slip up. We went to a wonderful gala. I had planned to have 1 glass of wine and no desert. They gave us 2 drink tickets and they had desert trays. The little chocolate balls with raspberry in them were wonderful, not not what I had planned. That was Sunday. Monday back on plan.

I need to work on staying on plan when I go to parties.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    GoRun2 wrote: »
    Back on plan after a slip up. We went to a wonderful gala. I had planned to have 1 glass of wine and no desert. They gave us 2 drink tickets and they had desert trays. The little chocolate balls with raspberry in them were wonderful, not not what I had planned. That was Sunday. Monday back on plan.

I need to work on staying on plan when I go to parties.

This may be heresy, but: How often are there parties? If not very often . . . well, one rare day is a small drop in a big ocean. Good strategies are always a plus, but it's the majority of our days that determine the major of our habits. It's the frequent/regular habits that are make or break, IME.

Maybe you already know this, but some other common strategies for party prep are to:

* eat a little (not a lot!) under normal calorie goals on the few days in advance of the event to "bank" some extra calories to spend there (bodies don't reset at midnight, even though MFP does);
    * eat lightly but nutritiously on the day of the event;
    * time some of one's filling food for right before the event so not arriving hungry;
    * have a glass of water between each more-potent beverage;
    * fit in an extra walk or other activity the day before or day of, if feasible, to bank some calories (nothing extreme, because that can backfire)

For me, it's a terrible idea to try to "make up for" an overage on following days: It tends to set up a deprive-then-overeat cycle. If I make some modest cuts before the event, the event itself balances the books physically and psychologically . . . I handle that better. YMMV.

I will admit that if I eat over goal one day, and truly feel less hungry the next day as a result, I'd let hunger be my guide and eat a bit less; or, if I feel a little more energetic the next day, I might increase activity just to take advantage of that.

Someone else here on another thread remarked about weight loss/management just being a series of problem analysis/problem solving experiments. I think there's a lot of truth in that, and IMO so many of the solutions are very individual (i.e. depend on our personal preferences, strengths, and challenges).
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    @AnnPT77 I’m in agreement with you. If a person is not a party animal (meaning, going to only the occasional parties), then enjoy to goodies (with some moderation) and write it off.
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    I'm back with my fitness pal after being gone for a good while. I'm back in better health and need to once again address losing a few pounds. I figure I need to limit carbs since from everything I've researched, those seem to be the leading culprits re: the dreaded middle-age spread (which I'm experiencing worse than ever). Boy is cutting carbs hard, given how much I like to drink both soda and tonic water. I used to drink too much beer, but I successfully quit that except for the occasional treat when out with friends. Gotta say, cutting out the non-alcoholic stuff is soooo much HARDER than quitting beer ever was. Man, sugar addiction is for real.
  • rick3390
    rick3390 Posts: 11 Member
    aqua14lisa wrote: »
    rick3390 wrote: »
    I just couldn't be more frustrated! I have been consistently below 1500 calories for almost 2 months and have only lost 6 lbs. Weight is up one day and down the next. Last week I actually gained weight, how is that even possible? Is this common to yoyo constantly? I was down 8 lbs and somehow then only down 3 lbs a few days later, it is just nonsensical to me. Macros and Nutrients are spot on at the end of each day. What am I missing?

Rick, I totally understand your frustration. I'm in a similar situation, down only 3 pounds since January. Do you want the weight back? Of course not, neither do I.

Imo, weight can and will change daily based upon water/fluid intake, salt consumption, carbohydrates eaten and exercise (sore muscles will hold fluids, I've read here). Maybe weigh yourself once a week if daily is frustrating. My logged foods are sometimes underestimated in quantities and exercise calories gained, overestimated. Keeping up with the exercise is helping me and this week the scale is moving lower. My shape is changing too. Are your clothes fitting better? Mine are!

The weight will come off when your body is ready to let it go. Be patient with yourself. Are you eating too few calories? That can also be an issue. I'm sure others will post insightful comments and suggestions.

Hello!
    I log into MFP every day and just found this by accident. Might have to check my settings.

I finally dropped a few pounds but it really is a grind! I for the most part weigh everything I eat to make sure about portion size. Started back doing this on March 2nd. No weight loss for several weeks. Now I am down 10 and seem to have gained some rhythm to portion size estimation.

Started using Slim Fast Advanced nutrition drink as 2-3 meal replacements per day. Much easier to log in and ready when you need it. I turned off the exercise calorie adjustments and now just working at 1200 kcal, low sodium, and carbs. The slim fast helps with nutrients and vitamins so my macros are surprisingly well balanced. I think my calories are ok because I am not getting tired in the middle of the day.

Thanks for your input!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Went out for dinner tonight, my granddaughter's 8th birthday, and she picked the restaurant. A pizza/pasta sports bar sort of place (Boston Pizza for those in Western Canada 🇨🇦 😉).
    It was Pasta Tuesday.
    I had thought ahead of time that I would probably have the pecan chicken salad, have it often and it is delish. Had enough calories for a splurgy meal.
    But
    Well
    It was Pasta Tuesday...and I read over all the Gourmet options...
    So I had the nutritional info downloaded on my phone and had a look - and you know, the 7 cheese baked ravioli was actually pretty good, a bit lower in calories than the chicken salad!
    But what I really wanted after reading them all was Smoked Gouda & Poblano ravioli 😋, Not the worst per the chart but an extra 2-300 calories so I skipped side salad and went for it. It came with a great piece of garlic toast, which I put to the side initially.
    It was in a sauce so creamy, cheesy and tasty! I used the garlic toast to sop it up 😁 and found I was entirely satisfied eating 1/2 the pasta.
    My stomach has finally shrunk I guess and I don't like getting too full anymore!!
    So 1/2 + garlic toast + glass of merlot ended up not even 100 calories over the chicken salad - and I have 1/2 left which I will happily eat tomorrow (sans garlic bread and merlot lol) - win/win.

And since I had only had a late breakfast today prior to dinner, I still had a couple hundred calories left for an evening snack (brownie Cliff bar vs birthday cake).

Ended the day under my daily allotment and I am so pleased with my choices and satisfaction level!

We do need to make this journey as pleasurable as possible within our goals.

I'm not a lover of pasta so my go-to at BP is a small veggie pizza. Congrats on making it work for you! I'm sitting at Whitespot right now 😆
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,179 Member
    @Ridiculous59, I ❤ White Spot, but really tough to make good choices there!!
  • Bvgrammy
    Bvgrammy Posts: 5 Member
    I am 72 years old and I need to lose 40 lbs. I have been part of MFP and I keep track of my calories most days but have not lost any weight. Obvious I am doing something wrong. Would someone please help me? I would so appreciate it. Thank you. Sheila
  • Bvgrammy
    Bvgrammy Posts: 5 Member
    Oops, I just posted that I am 72 but I am 75. 😚
  • clarity8796
    clarity8796 Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2022
    Bvgrammy wrote: »
    I am 72 years old and I need to lose 40 lbs. I have been part of MFP and I keep track of my calories most days but have not lost any weight. Obvious I am doing something wrong. Would someone please help me? I would so appreciate it. Thank you. Sheila

Hi Sheila! Do you track your macros? (fat/carbs/protein) If so, what’s your breakdown?

Also, you said that you keep track on most days. Perhaps try doing it daily for 4 weeks and see if that helps to move the needle. I do you believe that you can see results by tracking, exercising, etc 80% of the time. Just keep in mind that during a 30 day month, if you take a more relaxed approach 20% of the time, then that’s 6 days out of 30. The other 24 need to be at your target, whatever that is for you.

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Bvgrammy wrote: »

Hi Shiela .. I'm Neena and am 77 years old ... welcome and I hope we can offer up suggestions that you will find useful and helpful.

Like @clarity8796 said .. you don't have to be 100% most of the time to lose weight, for most things we do, 'good enough' works just fine ... But for me, not so much. That's cause for myself, I have found it to be a Slippery Slope and I don't even notice how sloppy I start getting with not only how much I eat, but what and it bleeds into other areas of my life ... So what I do to help myself to follow the good habits I am working to keep going revolves about more than the food. ... For the food, I pull out those measuring cups, spoons, kitchen digital scale a few times a week, and I eat off the same plates, bowls, cups, glasses that I have measured and know what they hold for the times I don't do all that measuring and weighing. For the food also, I keep foods that are triggers of over-indulging or that stop my momentum to a bare minimum or out of the house completely. But beyond that, I found that I have to act pretty OCD right from the get go as I start my day or it will fall apart by midday. .. For example, do my PT exercises first thing when I get out of bed, THEN make the coffee. Make my bed BEFORE I log onto the computer, ... get it?

Hope these help.