What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2022
    Trying to get back in the swing of things today. Felt mostly good, just a minor headache.

Did supersets in the AM (complex legs, chest, shoulders -- 4 sets so far, will likely get 2 more in by day's end). Wanted to push a bit on the rower, even though it's somewhat hot outside -- 91 by lunch.

Decided to do a 30 minute row pushing for four minutes, slowing down for one, repeat for the duration (not stopping). Finished 6730 meters (2:13.7). Not bad considering my slower minutes were in the mid 2:20s. HR hit 95%, so I guess I wasn't as conservative as I thought I would be!

I haven't honestly seen 95% of max HR in quite a while, so I was able to push it really hard. Cool down for 15 on the Assault Bike after.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Another road/trail bike ride at easy pace. Schedule permitting, my plan is to keep the pace easy, but increase volume gradually. The on-water rowing, when weather lets us do it, will be more volume than the indoor rowing, plus the outdoor cycling is a bit more than the stationary biking I'd been doing. If that all goes well knees-wise, I'll add some intentional walks after rowing.

(I think I screwed up the latter months of Winter by increasing indoor row/bike volume too much all at once, kind of got burned out physically and psychologically in the context of standard overall Winter doldrums, stayed grumpy rest of Winter season. 🙄 Bad plan.)

So, today was exactly 15 miles at a very easy 10.3mph moving average on the hybrid bike, with 20" in Z3, the rest below (mostly Z1! 😆 Barely working.)

On-water rowing already cancelled for tomorrow, due to grim weather forecast for both rain and wind. We'll see if I do a machine row instead. Heh.
  • AnnPT77
    Another road/trail bike ride at easy pace. Schedule permitting, my plan is to keep the pace easy, but increase volume gradually. The on-water rowing, when weather lets us do it, will be more volume than the indoor rowing, plus the outdoor cycling is a bit more than the stationary biking I'd been doing. If that all goes well knees-wise, I'll add some intentional walks after rowing.

(I think I screwed up the latter months of Winter by increasing indoor row/bike volume too much all at once, kind of got burned out physically and psychologically in the context of standard overall Winter doldrums, stayed grumpy rest of Winter season. 🙄 Bad plan.)

So, today was exactly 15 miles at a very easy 10.3mph moving average on the hybrid bike, with 20" in Z3, the rest below (mostly Z1! 😆 Barely working.)

On-water rowing already cancelled for tomorrow, due to grim weather forecast for both rain and wind. We'll see if I do a machine row instead. Heh.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    So I'm wondering with my above post, about having to schedule a DEXA scan, how does it interpret loose skin? I'm thinking it will be considered fat. I can't find anything online. Does anyone know?
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited May 2022
    I lifted weights, doing:
    3 sets of 5, 40 kgs, front squat. These were fun; I've not really done them before. I will definitely add these to the routine.
    3 sets of 5, 60 kgs, high bar back squat. I normally do low-bar, but I was in the mood for experimenting. I went light (I weight 65 kgs) as it's not something I've done for years. I think I preferred it to low-bar; it is easier to get bonkers depth.
    Bench, 3 set of 7, 50 kgs.
    Hangboarding (12mm ledge, 7 second repeaters).
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Early morning class today. 45min of high intensity spinning. Heading out for a trail run tonight.
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    30 minute walk with dog and 2 hours landscaping.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Starting week 2 C25K today at lunch. Not my favorite thing in the world. Looking forward to tomorrow's spin class and Friday's swim...then another C25K on Saturday morning, but the fellas and I are getting together for some MTB on Saturday afternoon for a few hours, so that'll be fun.
  • AnnPT77
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    So I'm wondering with my above post, about having to schedule a DEXA scan, how does it interpret loose skin? I'm thinking it will be considered fat. I can't find anything online. Does anyone know?

I think you'll need to ask the tech, or the doctor who reviews the results with you. IME, a DEXA report focused on bone density may not provide all the useful information you'd like about other aspects of body composition. Whether they can provide it, I don't know.

I've had a couple of DEXAs for bone density. The reports looked quite different from reports folks have shared here from their DEXAs for body composition assessment.

Off the cuff, I think that part of what most of us think of as loose skin actually is subcutaneous fat. True loose skin is quite small wrinkles, like the wrinkles in a medium weight fabric. Folds or rolls that are 1/2" or so tend to have some subcutaneous fat within the skin. I'd assume that the DEXA would see that fat as fat, and skin as lean tissue, but that's a purely naive assumption, not research/expertise based.

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Another long-ish elliptical session today, just to see what I could do. :smile: 90 minutes with about 50min. in Zone 3 and intervals into Zone 4 (about 20 min. total); machine says 5 miles. We'll see how that sits in the body over the next day or so. I have a sit-on-my-butt-for-hours kind of workday tomorrow, so I should be able to recover well.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've had a couple of DEXAs for bone density. The reports looked quite different from reports folks have shared here from their DEXAs for body composition assessment.

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realize there was a difference either. I've been thinking about going in for a baseline bone density DEXA soon. I'll have to ask if they can do body composition at the same time.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    30 minute row on my deck (not too bad today, around 90 or so) and then another 25 on the LateralX, all pretty easy.
  • swimmom_1
    dralicephd wrote: »
    Another long-ish elliptical session today, just to see what I could do. :smile: 90 minutes with about 50min. in Zone 3 and intervals into Zone 4 (about 20 min. total); machine says 5 miles. We'll see how that sits in the body over the next day or so. I have a sit-on-my-butt-for-hours kind of workday tomorrow, so I should be able to recover well.

I'm so proud of you!!! That is how I started. First time I did 70 or 72 minutes, which was how long my 3.5 mile walking loop in my neighborhood took me. But I remember I did more mileage on the elliptical.
    I'm thinking you will be ok because there is no pounding, jarring of your joints. CONGRATULATIONS!
  • swimmom_1
    @AnnPT77 I've had a couple of DEXAs for bone density. The reports looked quite different from reports folks have shared here from their DEXAs for body composition assessment.

The one I had 10 years ago, they never gave me a printout, that I remember. Just remember the insurance was to cover it because it was a screening one. Then because it showed Osteopenia, it was coded that way and I had to pay for it or at least part of it! Needless to say it PISSED me off! If it would have been negative it would have been covered 100%! They said they couldn't change the coding. I argued with them, since it was my first ever but to no avail. :-( That was ridiculous!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    We got the anticipated rain/wind, so I did the rowing machine workout. Late in the day, kept it on the lighter side, Z3 (mostly that) and below. Usual volume, 3 x 2k, with each 2k just seconds over 10 minutes (2:32.x split on all 3). 757m in addition, from the so-called 2' off bits between, and the 2' cool down.
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 I've had a couple of DEXAs for bone density. The reports looked quite different from reports folks have shared here from their DEXAs for body composition assessment.

The one I had 10 years ago, they never gave me a printout, that I remember. Just remember the insurance was to cover it because it was a screening one. Then because it showed Osteopenia, it was coded that way and I had to pay for it or at least part of it! Needless to say it PISSED me off! If it would have been negative it would have been covered 100%! They said they couldn't change the coding. I argued with them, since it was my first ever but to no avail. :-( That was ridiculous!!!!

@swimmom_1, that stinks!

I don't know about you, but I go to a specialty practice for my bone density tests and follow-ups. They're really good about providing written information, and a quite-long session where they explain the written results and discuss follow-up options.

Even in cases where a report from a test or procedure isn't automatically provided, I ask to get one, though - blood tests, scans, pathology reports, etc. These days, those reports are automatically available in various providers' "patient portals" online, but before those existed, asking for a copy pretty much always worked.

(I didn't even have to ask for the report from the first/second bone density DEXAs, it was automatically provided at the follow-up session. This more recent time (#3, I think - but maybe it's #4), the DEXA was right before the pandemic really got serious, but the follow-up would've been after, so I deferred it and asked if they could send me a copy of the report. They did.)
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    20 mins HIIT workout on my exercise bike.

45 mins Les Mills Body Balance class.

25 mins power walk.

Lots of cals burned 🔥 and feel amazing 🙂
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I followed up the morning spin class with an evening trail run last night. It was a nice night for a run in the woods. I probably should have quit after 3 miles, since my hamstring was tight, but I hung with the group for the last mile.
    Woke up sore this morning, so my trainer had me skip the hamstring movements. Will decide on tonight's trail run based on how sore I am.