Less Alcohol ~ MAY 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy who was the comedy show? That sounds FUN.
  • MissMay
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    May accountability: 2 days AF
    Alcohol: 13 days (25 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.

5/1 - AF
    5/2 - 2 wine
    5/3 - 1 wine
    5/4 - AF
    5/5 - 2 wine
    5/6 - 1.5 wine
    5/7 - 2 wine
    5/8 - 1 wine
    5/9 - 1.5 wine
    5/10 - 2 wine
    5/11 - 2 wine
    5/12 - 2 wine
    5/13 - 2 wine
    5/14 - 2 wine
    5/15 - 4 drinks 2 wine + 2 bourbon & Diet Coke

Not a stellar month then blew up last night and tossed in my hat and reverted back to the old days. Tonight book club away from DH, the kids, etc. I can AF at the restaurant easier than home even though I'll be the only one drinking water.

Miss your frequent food and party creations. Know your busy with home remodeling. 😁
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    mimikatr wrote: »
    I would like to join the group. I am trying to cut back to one or two drinks a day on weekdays for now. Hoping to get to one to two a week at some point.

Welcome! You and me both!
  • Womona
    @Breathe57103 I’m so terribly sorry for your loss. You must be devastated beyond imagination. I pray that you find the strength, support and courage you need as you move forward with your life after this trauma. As your former moniker suggests, give YOURSELF grace. Don’t beat yourself up thinking you didn’t do enough, or weren’t worth enough. Your husband got sucked into the undertow far more powerful than anyone can combat. We’re here for you!
  • Womona
    ajanet1007 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm a newbie. Trying to get some weight off and sabotaging myself with alcohol. This looks like a helpful group. Hope to get to know some of you as we go along.

Welcome! Oh I hear ya!!!!!
  • Womona
    Well, the good news is I started exercising regularly again this week, and I do feel better for it. I needed to be more consistent with strength training, so I’m just doing it. Oh, and the peer pressure from all the trainers I work with has a lot to do with it too! Haha! Bought myself a good pair of new sneakers and some shorts, I’m good to go.

What hasn’t improved is my drinking. I’m back up to 1.5-2 per night again. Amazing how it creeps up. Keep in mind my goal is AF Mon-Wed, and then only one drink the rest of the time. I’ve been way way off track with that, and my weight shows it.

Had two drinks last night and slept terribly. Between that and the full moon, I didn’t get much sleep. I have a tennis match this morning, and hope my game doesn’t suffer for it, but hope is not a strategy!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    @dawnbgethealthy who was the comedy show? That sounds FUN.

The comedy show. It is a radio show on CBC (Canada public radio) called The Debaters.
    Basically the moderator gives a silly topic and challenges 2 comedians to take opposite sides.

When it began the moderator said that this show would not be recorded. People groaned, but then he assured us that it would be better, because there are things that you can't say on public radio.

It was blue in spots for sure! They all 3 did sets, plus debates.
    Very fun : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    edited May 2022
    I am Dawn.

I am drinking less to lose weight. Diet and exercise were not budging the scale for me until November 2018 when I began to drink less. Drinking derails weight loss.

I hit 19AF days for April.
    Sticking with my goal of 16-20 AF days per month for May
    Diary style.

Sunday May 15 - AF - Going to a comedy show on Monday, not sure if I will have drinks or not yet.
    Monday May 16 - 2 drinks. The comedy show was really good, and good for me.
    Tuesday May 17 - 2 drinks. After work I went hard in the garden until almost dark. Dug out everything to change the soil in my Blueberry bed, plus added a couple more very big pots and planted 3 (out of 4) new blueberry bushes altogether. The heat dome last year was not good for them, trying to save them with new soil mixtures. Planned AF Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for my trip. Not sure about Wednesday yet.

Rolling total: 9AF out of 17 days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Greetings, all. I've been away a while and when I popped back into the thread, it was on pg5 so I had catching up to do but I think I caught up.

First, @Breathe57103 what a devastating and unexpected turn of events. Love the insight above to lean into your former username to give yourself grace. Very, very sadly, this was totally about his brain chemicals and not about what you did or didn't do at all. It sounds just tragic and I imagine you (and others) miss him a lot. I think I first started drinking as a teenager to escape my reality (myself, really), and while alcohol is good at that while your brain is fuzzy, I think at the end of the day the after effects feel worse (esp anxiety) than the momentary escape feels good. I heard someone say it always takes more than it gives. Feels true. Take care of yourself. You deserve and need all the sources of well being within reach.

In other posts, @dawnbgethealthy thank you for the gorgeous glacial lake photos. Just spellbinding. And I concur you are a great role model when you write about wanting a drink but resisting. It encourages me, too. Also someone, I think @joallana (welcome!) wrote about coral honeysuckle -- it's my favorite vine. I hope it thrives in the place you put it. Hugs to everyone laboring with back pain (from sleep?!!), hand pain and kitchen appliance leaks. The struggle is real.

I'll try to be a more regular participant. Lots of travel in the family at the moment, everyone going different places. I just returned from visiting DD#2 in NYC and it was a super fun and relaxing visit. Ate a lot more than normal, but also walked a lot more than normal so here's hoping it balanced out. It's a whirlwind this week for various reasons. The upshot: I'm out of my routine and I wish I cared more about that. I can see how easily I could slip into daily drinking again. DH opened a bottle last night, and honestly, if I had not already brushed my teeth I would have had a glass. But I saw it vacuvin-ed in the refrigerator so of course I want it now. Maybe instead I should just breathe....
  • MissMay
    Wondeful to hear from you both @womona and @ahoy_m8. It is getting to that crazy time of year when we are crawling out of our toasty shelters to be out of doors and more active again( at least where I live in the U.S.A.)

@dawnbgethealthy your night of comedy sounds devine. I attend a comedy night back in March. It was a much needed laugh attack!

Woke up this morning looking like I went several rounds in a boxing match. WTH?
    I did NOT have any alcohol last night, went to bed on time and slept very well.

OHhhhhhh then it hit me! Those darn lilacs in a vase at my friends house yesterday. I kept backing away, then moved to another chair. I was not sneezing or having breathing difficulties. The scent was just too strong for me. Wel I guess during the night the pollen from them affected my eyes or something. I've got some serious raccoon dark circles going on. UGH!!!!!!!

Good news AF
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 777 Member
    Hello everyone!
    Yesterday DH and I had an opportunity to go to our favorite hangout in the middle of the week and day! It was nice, I drank 2 beers ate fairly healthy then we came home. I took a little nap then back to our regular routine today. I felt in control when we went out and that felt really good.

I finally was able to get out in our yard between rain squalls and mow. I also cut back some nasty invasive native plant.
    I also went window shopping for appliances and cabinet drawer pulls and knobs. I am so glad this is a process. I sent a copy of the kitchen plans to our install guy.

Tomorrow I am going to concentrate on some much needed paint time.
  • Womona
    Great to see your post on here @ahoy_m8 your travels sound wonderful!

@MissMay ugh nothing like a bad night’s sleep, especially triggered by something so pretty!

Well, my goal of “less alcohol” was achieved these last two days. I am still a daily drinker, BUT I stopped at one, even though I was sorely tempted to pour that extra half glass. Amazing how much I really wanted it.

Progress!

Now off to the gym! More progress!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I am Dawn.

I am drinking less to lose weight. Diet and exercise were not budging the scale for me until November 2018 when I began to drink less. Drinking derails weight loss.

I hit 19AF days for April.
    Sticking with my goal of 16-20 AF days per month for May
    Diary style.

Wednesday May 18 - 2 drinks - 3rd night in a row
    Thursday May 19 - AF - leaving to go away straight from work Friday. Not sure if I will get on the forums, but plan AF until Sunday eve.

Rolling total: 10AF out of 19 days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    @lmlmrn I am amazed at how fast your decision making is on the kitchen redo. It takes me forever to decide. And I agonize over paint colors. Do you think being a painter and routinely working with color helps? Like, does your mental dexterity with the canvas translate to rooms?
  • lmlmrn
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    @lmlmrn I am amazed at how fast your decision making is on the kitchen redo. It takes me forever to decide. And I agonize over paint colors. Do you think being a painter and routinely working with color helps? Like, does your mental dexterity with the canvas translate to rooms?

I wish I could say yes, but DH has been in the wood restore business for 40+ years so he will not have painted cabinets. So I knew the color palette we have used throughout the home so it was an easy decision when it came to the cabinets. Now the handles and pulls will be a different story.
  • lmlmrn
    @lmlmrn, I am appliance shopping too! Still can't get myself to pay almost $4k for a refrigerator. EEK....Prices are so through the roof!

/quote]

I know the prices are outrages PLUS we need to find a side by side in order for you to be able to pull out the bins all the way..grrr