Verify "verified" entries

Options
mghb0501
mghb0501 Posts: 3 Member
I had a little time on my hands this morning, so I checked macros within verified entries that I consume consistently. I was surprised at how common misinformation was going into some items. I found similar errors when entering a barcode as well.
Check your entries and don't rely on "set it and forget it" logging.

Replies

• guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've been noticing this too, on a lot of items actually! :(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,056 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the site is international, and had been around many years. Some verified entries may be accurate for the food product in another country (different product formulation, different labeling laws) or may have been correct in the past (formulation change).

Yes, it's important to check for accuracy before first use, but incorrect entries aren't all because people entered or verified them sloppily. Some, sure.
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I make a habit of going to the website of the company or a supermarket so I can search for the items nutritional info, be it per portion for eating out or to cross reference accuracy against the database before logging it.

As @AnnPT77 rightly says though, differing countries can have vastly different values for the same brand and product. Eg a Big Mac is 493kcal in the UK but shows as 550kcal when I check for US data